Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. I'm brand new to the forum. I recently bought my first ever bike, an 06 vtx1300c, from my boss's wife. She got it new, road accross the country coast to coast and parked it. Other than a handfull of rides its been in their garage. There was heavy varnish obviously from sitting. a fuel leakage through the carburetor to the point of locking up a cylinder. There was also a small fuel fire at some point in the air filter box. This i discovered after buying it. Alot of this stems I think from the grey sludge in the pictures causing issues. Does any one have ideas to what caused the build up, how to prevent it, and suggestions on cleaning the tank, which is the last part of the fuel system I need to clean, refurbish, or rebuild. Sorry for the long post. Just trying to give pertinent history. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Ethanol causes many issues. All liquid evaporates and leaves residue behind.
Some automotive carb cleaner in a gallon size container. Emulsion tubes at jets will be the most difficult.
Some put nuts and bolts into the tank, then shake it until it shines to get out the residue.
Some coat the inside. Mathwiz used POR-15, just did his 6 year in storage clean up.
Someone else used EvapoRust., a chemical reaction with rust.
He did not have air on therefore vent clogged. He re-did the treatment and cleared the vent.
IF you seal---Keep air moving through the fuel tank vent.
MR VTX Carb 101>> Carb Cleaning 101

Any questions send a PM to Mathwiz and the guy that used Evaporust.
Evaporust thread Clogged vent cleared >> Gas tank pressurized - spraying gas out of gas tank cover

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 5 of 5 Posts