Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely ignorant of how to use heel and toe shifters that are standard with floorboards. I don't want to discuss which is better; Floorboards or pegs. I'm hoping I can just get some answers to ridiculously basic questions regarding shifting with Floorboards.

1. When you shift, do you position your foot so that both the heel and toe are contacting the shifters regardless of whether you are shifting up or down? Or do you just contact the toe if you are shifting down, and only contact your heel if you are shifting up?

2. Do you keep your foot on the shifter or do you always shift and then return your foot to the floorboard between gears? If you know you are going to be shifting up through a few gears, do you keep your foot on the shifter? Do you only return your foot to the floorboard if you know you won't be shifting in the next 30 seconds or something like that?

Amy advice is appreciated. I got me first road bike 24 years ago and this VTX is the first one with floorboards.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
My foot doesn't contact the shifter, unless I'm shifting. When I get ready to shift up I lift my heel, keeping my toe on the floor board, and slide my foot back a bit. Then clutch, push my heel down and relocate my foot, flat onto the floor board. I do the same only lifting my toe and sliding my foot forward to shift down. Normally my foot doesn't lose contact with the floorboard at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I get it... So it's more like a heel OR toe shifter, not a heel AND toe shifter... I'll definitely give that a try. So far I only road the bike a quarter mile down the road and back and found shifting much more complicated than it should be, LOL. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
It really is just a matter of getting used to it.
Once you have used it for a while it becomes second nature.
With highly polished boots, I got used to it 'very' quickly!

But FYI, try not to keep contact with shifter between shifts. The rocker has to return to center to grab next gear up/or down.....

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
But FYI, try not to keep contact with shifter between shifts. The rocker has to return to center to grab next gear up/or down.....

I believe I read in the GWRRA magazine tech section that if you leave pressure on the shifter it can ware out the "shift dogs". Stu's advice in the article was to quickly hit the shifter with you foot, not slowly, and to remove the pressure as in remove your heel or toe from the shifter.

I really like mine. A buddy never uses the heel part just up shifts with his toe. He said it keeps him in practice for dirt bikes.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
all good information above..

never put resting pressure on a shift lever.. any type.

many ways of dong heal/toe.. as long as you do it correctly..
and keep the heal/toe shifter lubricated.... every year or so.

Reactions: leroys73

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
seankk, I like your dog picture. I sure miss mine.

·
Super Moderator
64,411 Posts
From a stop;

Feet on ground in first gear take off.......place feet on boards....
When time to shift, raise left heel up onto toes and swing heel onto heel shifter and punch into 2nd after clutch pull, swing left foot back onto boards and rest....
Repeat for 3rd,4th,and 5th

Sown shift from 5th;
Pull clutch, raise left toes up and swing onto toe shifter, etcccc

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
As imagined with a little practice it becomes automatic and u dont even know your doing it...eazy,peazy.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
My shoe fit so tight between the pegs I got tired of sliding my foot out to shift, also feel shifting with your toe can done with more finesse than slamming it down with your heal so I cut off the rear part of the shifter. Just my 2 cents, never got used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Wow! And I started on the road with a foot clutch, tank shift ('46 WL). You'll get it man. A natural pattern will emerge.
Blast you must be as old as me. I found out why they called them suicide clutches ('47). The retaining bolt came loose so when I rocked it back at a stop sign in first gear, I put my foot down, and away I went.

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
My shoe fit so tight between the pegs I got tired of sliding my foot out to shift, also feel shifting with your toe can done with more finesse than slamming it down with your heal so I cut off the rear part of the shifter. Just my 2 cents, never got used to it.

I guess u know the shifter is adjustable ....u can raise it so your toe can slide under like its meant to...

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
most if not all controls on motorcycles are adjustable to some degree...

hand controls need a pin removed... I did this on day 2 of my then NEW VTX1800F....

next was the shifter... big feet with motorcycle boots..

50 years of fitting my bike to me..

side note... most motorcyclist "TODAY" would not ride bikes with the much NEEDED maintenance on bikes from the pre 1970's...

bikes use to have grease fittings..... twice a year..

lube drive chain after EVERY RAIN...

remove engine side case to clean oil filter drum...

MAN, its EASY today. our new bikes are ALMOST Cars..

·
Registered
158 Posts
TennX....the adjustment would still limit where I put my foot, now I can slide it as far back on the board as I want, just personal opinion I guess.

·
Registered
39,715 Posts
I use the toe to go up & down.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
My VTX was a C, so no floorboards. On the Harley, the heel and toe levers are individual so one can adjust the angles and elevation of each. Many Harley owners so simply remove the heel lever. For me it seemed natural to have both with floorboards, just a toe lever for pegs. I've never gotten mixed up between moving from the dirt bike to the Harley, but that's just me.

Reactions: jbrittjr

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
most if not all controls on motorcycles are adjustable to some degree...

hand controls need a pin removed... I did this on day 2 of my then NEW VTX1800F....

next was the shifter... big feet with motorcycle boots..

50 years of fitting my bike to me..

side note... most motorcyclist "TODAY" would not ride bikes with the much NEEDED maintenance on bikes from the pre 1970's...

bikes use to have grease fittings..... twice a year..

lube drive chain after EVERY RAIN...

remove engine side case to clean oil filter drum...

MAN, its EASY today. our new bikes are ALMOST Cars..
It sure is Chuck, but that's OK. I no longer feel the need to carry a tool set, just a couple simple things. Do I remember grease fittings? Holy Cow, the bike I referenced ('46 WL) that I learned to ride the road with, had half a dozen fittings just in the springer front end. And for it's worth (I know you WERE always a Honda guy) I grew up on HDs, 20 years on 88" '56 Pan/Shovel, and I never had any 'reliability' issues. Lot of PM though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts