Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best winshield for ease of removal? I have an 1800C. I do not want a windshield on most of the time, but when it gets windy or when I am going to ride a longer distance at 70 mph or so then a winshield can be quite helpful. It must be easy to remove because I keep my bike outside under a cover (Condo with no garage). The cover does not allow for a windshield if I lock the forks (it will allow for a windshield if I keep the wheel straight, but I do not want to do that). So, a windshield that is easily removed would be the answer. Also, it is important that when it is removed the mounting system does not look too horrible while riding around without the shield. Any suggestions?
Pictures would be nice too.
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hellcat:
1 min. off
2 min on :wink:
and only two small clamps on the handle bar...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deutsche Pete,
Danke sehr. Ich hab das gern auch. Und, es ist nicht viel geld. Das National Cycle Switchblade ist auch schon, aber der "mounting brackets" sind zu gross. Ich werde das "Hellcat" kaufen.
So much for the high school german from 40 years ago. I imagine I butchered that pretty good. But, you answered the main thing. I had read a thread some time ago where you commented about your Hellcat, but then I also read a thread from a guy selling a Hellcat and he indicated that it took 30 minutes to put on. He must have meant including the brackets on the handlebars. How does the windshield attach to those brackets? Is it just a rod and a screw clamp?
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
jbdog said:
Deutsche Pete,
Danke sehr. Ich hab das gern auch. Und, es ist nicht viel geld. Das National Cycle Switchblade ist auch schon, aber der "mounting brackets" sind zu gross. Ich werde das "Hellcat" kaufen.
So much for the high school german from 40 years ago. I imagine I butchered that pretty good. But, you answered the main thing. I had read a thread some time ago where you commented about your Hellcat, but then I also read a thread from a guy selling a Hellcat and he indicated that it took 30 minutes to put on. He must have meant including the brackets on the handlebars. How does the windshield attach to those brackets? Is it just a rod and a screw clamp?
let me take some more pictures of those clamps...

I cut the rod too a little...more in the follow pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Switchblade by far!!!! 2 seconds on 2 seconds off NO TOOLS!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
So this is all great and dandy for stock bars, but what about guys that go with aftermarket bars? Will they work as well?
Didn't mean to hijack your thread, jbdog. I was wanting a shield as well but was thinking of changing the bars out and didn;t want to be stuck with a quick change set up that didn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,766 Posts
FatBackRetro said:
So this is all great and dandy for stock bars, but what about guys that go with aftermarket bars? Will they work as well?
Didn't mean to hijack your thread, jbdog. I was wanting a shield as well but was thinking of changing the bars out and didn;t want to be stuck with a quick change set up that didn't work.
I had the memphis shades alley cat (I think that was it) It was quick release and the mounts were on the fork tubes between the triple clamps. work great. althought I did have to cut it down a couple inches to eliminate some helmet buffeting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
WINDSHIELD

Switchblade rules! Like he said 2 seconds no tools no problems... if you are tall you will need the 2 up .. but the shorty looks best on the bike.
:D :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
I am looking for the larger windsheilds, like the 2 - UP. I have never ridden with a windsheild. So my question is, with the large winsheilds, should the end result have me looking over the windsheild or should I be looking through it? I am 6'1 BTW with a 2004 VTX 1800c.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Switchblade...hands down. Pull - its off. Push - its on.

I think '2 seconds' is too long...I can have it off, and then on in under 2 seconds. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
WINDSHIELD

It's personal preference I'm 6'3 and I have it adjusted so that I just look over it... but in a heavy rain I can look down a hair and be below it as well :D :D :D :D
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
FatBackRetro said:
So this is all great and dandy for stock bars, but what about guys that go with aftermarket bars? Will they work as well?
Didn't mean to hijack your thread, jbdog. I was wanting a shield as well but was thinking of changing the bars out and didn;t want to be stuck with a quick change set up that didn't work.
switchblade mounts to the forks only, you don't notice the mounts at all when the sheild is off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Windshield for vtx 1800c...

I have a 2003 1800c and i really like the 2up switchblade. I'm 6'6" and it does a real good job of protection!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Can you put a Switchblade shield on a 1800N Type three with those chrome tubes on the forks? Photos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
VTXUSA said:
Can you put a Switchblade shield on a 1800N Type three with those chrome tubes on the forks? Photos?
It's been awhile since I talked to National, but the current 1800 setup will not fit the forks with either OEM chrome tubes or aftermarket (Kewl Fat Forks). They may already have one out or in the works, but you should specify you have the chrome tubes if you should ever purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
3D said:
VTXUSA said:
Can you put a Switchblade shield on a 1800N Type three with those chrome tubes on the forks? Photos?
It's been awhile since I talked to National, but the current 1800 setup will not fit the forks with either OEM chrome tubes or aftermarket (Kewl Fat Forks). They may already have one out or in the works, but you should specify you have the chrome tubes if you should ever purchase.
I was afraid of that. I have the switch blade 2 up and was wanting to go with the Kewl Fat Forks. I hope National Cycle comes out with some bigger clamps. By the way I love the Switch Blades We have them on both our bikes 30 sec. on and off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
wooley55 said:
I was afraid of that. I have the switch blade 2 up and was wanting to go with the Kewl Fat Forks. I hope National Cycle comes out with some bigger clamps.
It's not really so much the size of the clamps as the changed distance between the forks (i.e., the fat forks are going to put the clamps farther apart.) Either the mounting brackets on the windshields will have to be farther apart, or the mounts would actually need to be smaller.

Ya'll are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Handler; you should just get your forks chromed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Yep but I do indeed like the fat look. Now that I think about it it would move the mounting point out, tanks.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top