Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was glad to find a group out there like this one. I just recently purchased an 05 Honda VTX 1300 C after looking for a first bike for a long time. Been absolutely happy with the choice. Any other riders out there in the St Charles area. Would like to get information on where to get the bike serviced in this area, where good places to ride are, etc etc... Anyways, with the weather the way it is Im off. Hope to find a couple riders close by.

Peace

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the board. Lots of good info & great people here.

Happy Riding.

Mo-VTX

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am in Saint peters ( 06 1300c ) as far as service I take mine to TEd's in Alton. I have heard good things about Donaldsons also. Just stay away from Bob Shultz. Unless you are buying somthing from the parts counter. He refused to give me a hours labor quote on a jet kit install ( just wanted to get an idea since it was ready for 600 mile service anyway)
I bought mine from Teds but it would be nice to be able to just go across the street so I checked them out at Shultz

Quote from Bob himself ( their are so many bikes and models between 200 and 300 maybe 400 ) I said I told you the model, and I thought you were a Honda center Bob: we are so.

I told him no problem and took off. Called Teds Teds service was like ya thats a 1.5 hour job

Ive heard other night mares about shulltz to he has a very bad rep on the Harley site service reviews also

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have heard bad things about shultz from a few people... after finding a screw in my rear dunlop friday, i took my vtx to donelson and they treated me pretty good... their mechanics didnt mind spending time talking to me about air kits and jetting either which was helpful... i havent had a chance to check out teds yet... right now im in the market for a good seat... i guess my ass isnt the model they went off of for the 1300 c... any suggestions...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've taken mine to Chesterfield Power Sports for tires twice. They are less expensive than anywhere else I've found. (I compared some internet prices.) (By the way don't make the same mistake I did, get rid of the dunlops, for my second set I switched to metzlers they are much better.) I also had them do a radiator flush. $39.. They seem o.k. to me.
There are many great places to ride here. Two of my favorites are to follow the rivers. Mississippi north, and Missouri west. Go out one side and back on the other. You can't go wrong.
Welcome to the board. Try and make the meet & greet, it was a blast last year.
Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm in Ballwin, so not too far.

For service, I've used Chesterfield Power sports a few times for basic stuff, and they're ok, but they tend to be a little slow on turn time. I prefer Dave Mungenast in South County for anything that I can't do myself if you're looking for quality work, but they're not always the cheapest.

For basic stuff on bikes (oil changes, adjustments, bolt checks, accessory add on's, etc) doing it yourself saves a TON of cash and time. If you need any assistance with that type of thing, let me know - happy to help a fellow rider, and my garage is fairly well stocked.

Riding locations - best in the area (IMHO) are south west around Defiance, New Melle, and out towards Washington and Union. The river road in Alton's always fun too, but more scenic than twisty. Feel free to hit me up for a ride some time - [email protected].

Later - Jon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right on man... i appreciate the feed back... ill hit ya up sometime when i get a cool minute...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I wont spend a penny at Schultz or Donelson. They both have the worst bike pricing and arrogant service departments i have experienced. One day i called Donelson about bringing in the old tire and rim so they could install a tire i bought thru HDL. Over the phone i was told no problem.

I even went to the parts counter to verify again they would install a tire i bought online. No problem. Then i drove around back and unloaded the parts and the ass at the service counter told me NO WAY, i wont install the tire unless you bought it here. After asking him to get his boss and almost 15min of debate and a even longer wait, his boss told him to install the tire.

The parts dept. is fairly good though but i order some parts locally thru County Cycles on Lindbergh. I bought my BattleAxe200 from them for about the same price online and they installed it for about another $28 off the bike.

I made sure i told the sales manager that i wont be buying a Ducati here since the service dept. has such a bad attitude. It really is sad because i love the Multistrada 1100. Their tire pricing for Metz is very good though for local Honda dealers. I had my first set done cheaper at Widman Victory/Suzuki while i waited.

Schultz could barely find a set of exhaust gaskets but if you wanted a HD part you got better service. You will almost get ignored by the parts dept. unless you own a HD. I was told we dont stock many Honda parts.

Both were more expensive than all the other Honda dealers.

Teds in Alton charges fair prices for bikes/service and allows me to make appointments if i need their service. Most of the others insist you drop off your bike including Chesterfield Valley PowerSports even though i bought mine there.

PowerSports also left my VTX out in the rain when i had the first service done and didnt even clean it up at all. It also had oil drops on top of the gas tank. When i first bought mine there the service manager even told me the VTX doesnt need valve adjustments. IMO they totally suck except on bike pricing.

Teds IMO is better than all of them but i did have 1 bad experience there too. I just wanted a valve adjustment. They quoted me $115 and suggested i get the full 24k mile service. I told them no i do almost all my own service but the price was fair for just the valve adjustment.

Well all is going well and on schedule and i get a call from the wrench that is working on my bike. He tells me my oil and brakes need replacing. I told him both had been done 1000 miles ago by me and i will check them myself when i get it home. Oil was clean/full and i checked the brakes before i left Teds. They looked fine to me so i showed the service manager. He said the wrench was mistakin and i was right.

The bike was ready for me when promised at the quoted price.

Its funny that i was treated better by a Suzuki/Victory dealer on service than any local Honda dealer. Plus i only walked in and asked if i could get a set put on while i waited. The wrench was very friendly and even allowed me to watch.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
dhandshy said:
donelson's has ALWAYS been that way about tires. they wont mount them unless you buy them there or from their ads in the magazines. their service department has excellent talent. beware---Ted's WILL rip you off---been there done that. don in st charles
Thats not true at all. I called them and talked to the older guy at the parts counter FIRST. Then i went there and talked to them again. The problem wasnt until the ahole at the service counter had an attitude. Ive had a few friends that have even brought in their own tires/rims IF they are already off the bike. "On" the bike they will not and i understand the liability reasons for that choice.

Donelson also charges the highest setup and shipping costs even on bikes 4+ yrs old and would not deal at all on a 5yr old new Triumph.

I think the main reason you dont like Shultz or Teds is maybe they sell HDs too? Teds has matched or beat any local price i have shown them. They also had the lowest price on the valve adjustment. Donelson wanted a full hour more even though that was above the normal flat rate. I dont like Schultz too partly because of HD but because they pratically ignore Honda parts customers.

They did try to sneak in a oil change and brakes but they realized very quickly i know more about my bike than most $14 per hour mechanics.

Like i said its amazing that a Victory dealer treated me better than any local Honda dealer. I have never tried Mungenast Honda but have only heard good things about them. Widman even lets me run my VTX on their dyno and watch. Plus only charges me $40 for 3 WOT pulls and 2 cruise A/F readings. Mainly because i have done several runs on their dyno.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i have been taking both of my vtx's to a local guy here in st charles.....jim obrien, he owns Driven Cycle, hes located off of 94 at harvestowne ind. dr. across from central school rd..

jim was a mehcanic at b schultz for 10 years and went off on his own and his pricing is almost half of what dealers are charging..he installed my jet kit on my 1300 along with the hypercharger, did the valve adjustments on both the 1800 and the 1300..really fair pricing and certainly worth a call before going to a dealer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i called driven cycle a couple of weeks ago when i got a screw in my tire... he was backlogged a bit, but i think i'll give him a try... im always up for giving my money to a small business first... my bike is about to hit the 6000 mile mark and ive only had it for about 500 of those miles... i think it would behoove me to have a mechanic go over it and do a top to bottom on it... plus i might put a better breather on it at the same time... hehe if my wife doesnt find out first...

thanks again for all the input you guys... its much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thats why i buy a few things from County Cycles. Its a small parts shop and does minor work like changing tires off the bike. I will give Driven a shot since i need a new front tire now.

Nice to try and help the little guys and you will usually get better service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are you pretty close to st charles too...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
New update

Chesterfield Valley PowerSports was great today. They didnt have the tire i needed but had a 140/70/18 fron tire and the parts guy even showed me one on an F model first. I didnt think it would fit. Looks good actually and fills the fender nicely.

They had the new tire on by the time i was done test riding a used 2005 Ducati. It was $176 total on the bike install, tire was only $112!

BTW im buying the Ducati too. :D I cant get all the paperwork done today and my insurance is picky about what bikes they will insure. So if on monday American Family will insure it for a reasonable rate, i will have an almost new 2005 Ducati Multi 1000 DS with only 1200 miles.

They wanted about $8900, they are taking $7600.

It appears their service department has greatly improved compared to my last experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Damn good haggling job on a very nice Duc! Looks like a blast just sitting still. I'll have to give Chesterfield Valley another shot at that rate too. Not too bad for an out the door price.

Congrats on the new ride if you get it!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I had to go thru State Farm to insure the Duc. American Family first quoted me about $300 a year then called me back 3 hours later and said that it is a "Super Bike" and now its $120 a month!

I debated the issue with the agent for a few minutes to educate them about what "Multistrada" meant. It only has 92 crank hp and is an "Adventure Touring" bike and makes less hp than a 600cc sport bike.

She said she would check into it more. State Farm quoted me $371 a year and about $40 less for my VTX. These are all full coverage quotes.

BTW the KBB for the Duc is $8895 and this one has very low miles. I even price shopped online. This was by far the cheapest i have ever seen one.

I hate to say it here but ChesterField Valley Power Sports does have the best tire prices ive seen even compared to online prices and had no problem with a walk in service.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey man - I don't know if you're already sold on State Farm yet or not, but you may want to check safeco as well - I switched from State Farm to them a while back, and they have been cheaper on the X, a Honda 919 "sport bike", and a suzi VL1500. I've been at 25-28 / month per bike for full coverage. Don't get me wrong though - state farm is great - I still use them for all cars, homeowners, life, etc...

I used Parker Insurance - 314-638-5020 (Ed Parker). Nice guy, and good rates. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not 100% sure that it is still this way, but when I was with State Farm (only a couple of years ago) for my bike, they base their rates solely on CC's. I went from a 600 crotch rocket to my 1300C and the rates sky-rocketed. That's when I inquired and thought they were crazy. I currenty have progressive for my motorcycle coverage, but I'm like you guys and still have everything else (including auto) with State Farm.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
My agent with American Family called me back today after talking to the head person at her location and after talking to the "under writers"?. They looked into it and are going to honor the $293.40 per year full coverage 100/300/100. Plus they are lowering my VTX insurance by about $30 a year. :D

They said if the Main AF headquarters has any problems with it they will still cover me at the quoted price. Ive never heard of this before. The agents location will cover me at that price even if the main corporation will not.

BTW i have been with them for over 10yrs and only 1 accident when i was a kid. I had a few different agents in between those years. No tickets or claims in the last 7yrs.

They finally realized it isnt a sport bike and they dont want to lose all the policies i have with them. Even though i had to really jump thru some hoops i think i got a super price.

Just waiting on the loan agent at the dealer to call me back now. She didnt get my info from the sales guy yesterday even though i got my VTX there and they already have it. Should be a done deal tomorrow with a saturday pickup. :D

Already started looking at mods and the prices for slipons and full headers are insane and only add about 5hp for the best ones. All i want is some bags and a pipe that will cover the sound of the dry clutch. :lol:

They offer a full race kit for over $1000 that adds 10hp with the factory head pipe. It has a plug in race chip like they have for cars, slipon muffler and high flow air filter. For another $300 roughly you can get a better head pipe too and gain another whopping 2-3hp.

So for about $1500 the Duc will make about 5 less rwhp as a good stage1 VTX1800. :?

You think VTX mods are expensive. I about needed some Depends!! Nylon bags were reasonable though. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts