Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The name says it. Im new to riding motorcycles. I was given a 2003 1800 with 60,000 miles on it.
A friend of mine isn't to mechanically inclined. I have done work on his equipment, cars and bikes, and he bought a BMW trike.
Poor guy has short legs and keeps on laying down this VTX. So its had its share of scratches and dents. He did have a accident with it and it should have killed him and the bike. But God's grace saved both.
I think John, finally seen the light of day and decided to go with a trike.
So I will be asking questions about maintenance issues and upkeep.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Hello Blessed, welcome to the VTXOA!
2003 is of the 1st generation 1800. What model?? C, R,S are the choices.
It has the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) that should be changed if it has not been.
Some Grounds need a clean and lube, see "Ground Fix" in the Step by Step board on this Forum or Bare's site.
Brake fluid renewal, clutch fluid renewal when it is no longer clear.
Starter switch and Turn Signal switches need clean & blube.
Shifter pedal, brake pedal, kickstand could use some clean & lube on the pivot bolts.

Step by Step Board and Bareasschoppers dot com have info
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/carbs-fuel-injection/vtx1800-fuel-pressure-regulator/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) that should be changed if it has not been. Why should this be replaced? Is there a recall? Or they get old?

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
FPR failure became an epidemic about 2013. If anything check for fuel on the vacuum port.
Test it while running, that will put 55 PSI on the fuel rail/throttle body.
The diaphragms were deteriorating causing an extra rich fuel mixture.
Many had fuel leak down from open intake valve, leaking past rings into the crankcase.
An over-full crankcase... Search on "Fuel Pressure Regulator"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia, Blessed. Enjoy your new hobby. Ride safely.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Hello Blessed, Welcome from New Mexico ! As H & F already pointed out, the FPR should be changed out if it's still the original. Doing the ground fix and changing the hydraulic fluids every 2 or 3 years or sooner if it's turning dark. A few more things I can think of are Lube the rear wheel drive splines every time you replace the tire using honda M77 Assembly Paste, not grease. Never lug an 1800 engine especially the 02-04 models but any of them really, and the engine idle should be kept at 900 rpm or so - any lower and the engine may not get the proper lubrication it needs. I learned all of this when I first joined and found it to be very good information. Ride Safe and enjoy

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction. :D

Thank you for saving that endangered VTX but take it easy on her. Not the smallest or lightest beginner bike. But rewarding once you get to know her well. Enjoy her!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome from Central New Mexico. The Most helpful forum around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts