Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i have always had sport bikes and gone FAST, i have always had on a helmet.

Now im the owner of a new VTX 1800 S i have not yey aquired one, do you guys ride with helmets? I see lots of cruisers in Dallas and no one has a helmet on?

If you do, give me some ideas where to get one from, make etc? as my sport helmet will DEFINATLEY not go with the new cruiser (Go Fast Helmet - you now what i mwean)

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's a Decision You Must Make for yourself IMHO....

then your Family Must Live with the Result of that Decison!!!!

you make the Call.... and if you think for a second you're careful.... and you'll watch for Dumb cage drivers... Think Again!

I will never understand someone riding with out one.... simply stupid!

RKip

This is not to offend you or anyone w/o the helmet... some folks accept the risk, and others die!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The approach I take is to protect only those parts that you need and want to keep. We have all scene too many bad accidents.

Riding is dangerous enough. If you want to risk life an dlimb then ....

Personally, I wear full protection.

The decision is yours. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dreamer said:
The approach I take is to protect only those parts that you need and want to keep. We have all scene too many bad accidents.

Riding is dangerous enough. If you want to risk life an dlimb then ....

Personally, I wear full protection.

The decision is yours. Good Luck!!
Do you wear the half helmets? which brand, all i know is ARAI and SHOEI Full race helmets

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an Arai 3/4 and an HJC full. I bought the HJC for winter riding, but am liking the feel of protection. Arai, Shoei and HJC make great 3/4 helmets - 1/2 doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm not sure what brand mine is but it's DOT approved and I got it at Plano Honda.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey Folks... correct me if I'm wrong...!

DOT approved = Zero

DOT does not test a helmet... simply are approved due to area covered. Minimum area covered is all DOT requires.

I use a Shoei Full Face and a Arai 3/4 on my Valkyrie since it has headset.

RKip

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
RKip said:
Hey Folks... correct me if I'm wrong...!

DOT approved = Zero

DOT does not test a helmet... simply are approved due to area covered. Minimum area covered is all DOT requires.

I use a Shoei Full Face and a Arai 3/4 on my Valkyrie since it has headset.

RKip
Pretty much right-on, however, the snell ratings are a whole 'nuther critter...their testing is for real!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Without any facts to back this up, I think DOT is a bit more than just how much of the head is covered. Not all helmets carry the DOT sticker.

I've always worn Arai Signets and it was the same thing when looking for open face and half helmets. Had to try them on to make sure they fit right.

I ended up with an HJC open face and a Fulmer half.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Idea has always been that if you value your head you wear one.

I have always done so even in states that don't require them. I always buy the good ones to wear. They must not be able to be torn off your head if you go down or crack and shatter if you hit the ground. That is why I always say if you have a $.50 head you wear a $.50 helmet.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I use a Shoei RF-900 full face about 98% of the time, on short rides around town here in Kansas I wear a DOT approved half helmet. I also wear protective clothing that has CE approved armor just in case that spill comes.

I drive to Dallas (really Irving) for FedEx and if I lived there I would wear a full all the time you crazy Texans! :D

roog

·
Registered
915 Posts
I wear a half shell.Just get the one that feels the best,at least dot, and looks good with that new bad baby you got.I recently went down and mine has a real nice 2"x4"scrape on the side.I got some road rash and a slight concussion,but rode the bike away.Wheww....I'm sure glad i had that helmet on.In Dallas....you may need full body armour.Have fun. :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I think the safest helmets are both DOT and Snell approved.

I have the Shoei X-11 full face and love it. I will say that the Shoei helments are not communication friendly.

So if you want a top rated helment without communications, the Shoei X-aa is a great helmet.

If you want a great helmet that is communications friendly, then I would look at the Arai.

But IMHO any helment is better then none.

I ride with a full face in the south even in the summer. With the front face shielf open (I also wear glasses), it is fine, especially when you are moving.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you do, give me some ideas where to get one from, make etc? as my sport helmet will DEFINATLEY not go with the new cruiser (Go Fast Helmet - you now what i mwean)
Paint it black until you can find one more suitable to your new station in life.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I saw something on the DOT certification, but can't remember where. Anyway, 2 salad bowls taped together passed the DOT test!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Greetings all, yes I always wear a helmet (I also wear safety belts when I drive....it's just second nature) I have always worn helmets, even when riding trials back in the early 70's when a lot of riders wore the little Bell stroker type hats. I wear an HJC 3/4 helmet (DOT and Snell approved) with full shield when it's cooler....my wife says it looks like that helmet Rick Moranis wore in "Space Balls"....I have a large mule type head, XXL...but it is warm. When the weather warms up I wear a Bell Shorty....really light and comfortable. With the curtian zipped off you can really hear well without a lot of wind noise. I choose to wear helmets and use seat belts but part of me feels that it should be your choice. Just my opine, Bisley

1 - 20 of 63 Posts