Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put some really nice speakers in my helmet to play off my ipod. No intercom or anything like that, I am just looking for some [email protected] music speakers.
Where can I get them? Thanks!!
* RedWing *

G

·
I think most people are using ear buds. From what I have read the Shure E2C or E3C come highly recommended.

Personally I don't like things hanging out my ears when I ride so I installed a radio system that the ipod hooks into and plays through speakers mounted to the backside of my windshield.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Kick-ass huh? Well after trying various cheapie earplugs I next bought and tried the highly-recommended Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (plugs). HOWEVER, while they did sound crisp and clear, sorry, the bass was simply not there. I'd tried many sets of plugs and behind-the-neck phones and had never been satisfied.

Finally last February I purchased a BeyerDynamic DT234 Pro headset (about $75). Believe it or not their thin profile allows them to fit underneath a half helmet which you can still cinch up tightly. Also, they enclose the ear, are comfortable and even keep your ears warm. Lastly, the sound rocks -- great highs and good bass too! I know it's a bit maverick-like, but just mentioning this if you want to think out of the box.

Here's a pic of the headset and me wearing it underneath my helmet (it has a boom mic which I bought for the Bluetooth operation of my Zumo which has XM and MP3):

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry this is off topic to the original post, but maybe it will help....

Blade, I've got the ER6i's as well, and almost cried after spending so much and hearing the disappointing bass. Then I reread the reviews that led me to purchase them and saw people talking about how they had to push them waaay in to get the bass. (further than you would normally consider wearing earbuds). Tried it, and guess what... I now love them. If you've still got them and haven't pushed them in real far, please give them another try.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Wow! I certainly WILL try that and presume you must be right. Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use "The Plug" by Koss. The trick I found was to take a regular pair of foam ear plugs and heat up a coat hanger and burn a hole in them, then take the foam off "The Plugs" and substitute my newly created foam ear plugs on the plugs. Depending on the ear plugs you use you may have to trim the length some to fit. This allows a much better fit which increases the bass response dramatically.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sony

I bought a $20 pair of Sony headphones, broke the plastic head band off and velcroed the speakers in the side pockets. Works great and I can still hear unless I crank up the IPod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts