Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WOW!! Does look more like Oil burning to me..
Doesnt dissipate like Water vapor and has some blue tint to it in the video (or looked like it to me Anyway)...

After sitting for 5 yrs most likely Rings clogged/rusted up or rust on cylinder walls.
IMO.....

I am sure someone here has some solutions for those possible issues..

Wouldn't a compression test show if the rings were leaking? The compression meets spec.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Wouldn't a compression test show if the rings were leaking? The compression meets spec.
I supposed it would?? I was just taking a guess, as it didnt look like water vapor to me. Only other thing is oil.. (gas would be black)...

Head gasket would also show low compression. ??????

Some light leakage of Oil around rings or from scared cylinders might do that??
But still show Spec compression levels......
Or from excessive pressure in crankcase.. ~ Blocked/kinked breather line...

ANything to avoid pulling the engine would be a blessing!!!! :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I supposed it would?? I was just taking a guess, as it didnt look like water vapor to me. Only other thing is oil.. (gas would be black)...

Head gasket would also show low compression. ??????

Some light leakage of Oil around rings or from scared cylinders might do that??
But still show Spec compression levels......
Or from excessive pressure in crankcase.. ~ Blocked/kinked breather line...

ANything to avoid pulling the engine would be a blessing!!!! :(

Thanks for the help. And yes anything but pulling the engine. All though I wouldn't mind another project but here in Texas its 100+ degrees out right now. Ill keep my updates posted and go from there!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you checked the pipes to make sure there are not any critters in the pipes? Just a thought considering it sat for 5 years prior. Something could have crawled up in there an be getting hot?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well I got it all back Tigger with the exception of the air filter and I am still getting smoke. I even see a little smoke coming out of the carb. Anyone ever seen that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Now that's one way to have a BBQ lol
LOL

Have you checked the pipes to make sure there are not any critters in the pipes? Just a thought considering it sat for 5 years prior. Something could have crawled up in there an be getting hot?
Yes I was able to flush the exhaust system and verified nothing was in the pipes. Now it idles fine but when i give it throttle it dies out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnmjfzf6vcworyq/20150831_193152.mp4?dl=0

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Check the needle hight and the rubber boot on the needle slide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok looks like most of the smoke might be gone but I have another problem now.

It will idle fine but when I give it throttle it bogs down and dies. What could be causing this? Please see the video. Thank you again for all of yalls help!

Dropbox - Error
Clax, I have the same issue with my bike. What did you do to fix the smoking issue?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Clax, I have the same issue with my bike. What did you do to fix the smoking issue?
Welcome to the Forum. Doubt you will get a response to a 6 year old thread.
clax
Registered · From Pasadena
Joined Feb 1, 2014
Last seen Sep 3, 2015

But hopefully someone else on here may have an answer ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
you should start a new thread and describe your issue in detail, preferably with a video of the problem. That is the best way for everyone to see exactly what your problem is. Then you will get the help you need. Try to pay attention to the dates on the threads and not reply to old threads cause those links don't even show old videos sometimes. Anyway here is what solved my problem with white smoke. Damn! I just realized how long I've had this bike after looking at my join date. Just hit 50k on the odometer. Don't ride it as much as I'd like, but I do have 2 bikes . Also I live in $%#@ &*^ NY

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Best to make a new thread as suggested.
CC Rider--what was the fix on your X??

Excessive fuel would be my guess. Float valve not shutting off.
Air Cutoff Valve diaphragm could be bad.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you click on the video, youll see my comments there on the you tube replies. I thought it was one or maybe more of the coils after going through the bike and trying to figure it out. You know a lot more than I do about bikes. Either that or the fuel filter screen on tank petcock had hole in it. I had a thread on it somewhere in vtxoa . I can find the pic of the hole in the screen if you'd like. I had changed the plugs another time before attempting this fix also. So, I know it wasn't just a change of the plugs. I'm not great at diagnosing problems. But one of those 2 things (or both) fixed it. That I know, because the plugs and that screen were the only 2 things I replaced besides the plugs. Here is the video of the bike after replacing those.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Front cylinder Ign coil. Interesting... No heat on the exhaust pipe. A/F being pumped out...
Many mysteries in life.!

·
Registered
421 Posts
IDK. Is it possible the coil wasn't letting the plug ignite leading to a very rich condition? But, why the white smoke? At first it scared me. i thought it was the head gasket

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Head gasket leak with coolant should leave a steam cloud.
Coolant smell also.
No ignition = A/F pumped out of the exhaust.
Exhaust pipes not joined. If the pipes were joined may have had some live fire in the dead pipe.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts