Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a class at Madison Area Tech College, and when I came out an hour later, I realized I had left my ignition on (ya, dumb me). I was in a hurry to get to my class. When I came out, my lights were dim, and the ignition would not turn over.

My questions:

1- Take a look at my timeline of events and let me know what you think might be wrong with my bike (06 VTX1300).
2- Any recommendations on where to have my bike fixed in the area (cheap pickup). I've used Vetesniks for service, but they're not cheap and they don't pick up. If I had a way to transport to Vetesniks cheap, I’d consider that route.

Here's what I did after finding my bike “on”.

Tried to turn it over, nothing…

Buddies tried to push start the bike with me (no luck). Didn’t think it would (was desperate).

I tried to jump start the bike from a friend’s car (had success doing this once in the past), but this time around it didn’t do anything. Now, the headlights are completely out, but the turn signal lights (and instrument panel lights work).

My buddies tell me it’s for sure the battery (since I’ve jumped it before, they say it’s not going to work jumping it again… fried?). Bike sits overnight (I don’t sleep well without my bike safe in my garage).

I return today after purchasing a brand new battery. I install the battery, and it’s the same as before (lights to dash/turn signals, but not to headlights, and the ignition doesn’t make a sound). I call Vetesniks and they tell me it’s likely the battery connection, a relay, or the ignition switch.

I doubt it’s the battery terminal connection, as there’s NOTHING coming to the headlight, it’s not dim, nothing. But I get full lights to the dash and signals… I am wondering if I fried something while jump starting it? I’ve jumped lots of things and did it correctly (at least I think).

·
Registered
121 Posts
When jumping a motorcycle from a car, it's best to make sure the car is NOT running. Just let the battery charge up for a bit and then try starting it.

You may have blown a fuse. I seem to recall reading something about a similar incident, but my memory is fuzzy on it so I could be wrong.

However, when you say that you have power, just not to the headlight and that it doesn't even try to turn over, that sounds like the start switch problem. When jumping the bike, you might have burned the start switch contacts. It won't hurt to clean those up and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When jumping a motorcycle from a car, it's best to make sure the car is NOT running. Just let the battery charge up for a bit and then try starting it.

You may have blown a fuse. I seem to recall reading something about a similar incident, but my memory is fuzzy on it so I could be wrong.

However, when you say that you have power, just not to the headlight and that it doesn't even try to turn over, that sounds like the start switch problem. When jumping the bike, you might have burned the start switch contacts. It won't hurt to clean those up and see what happens.
Thank you sir... Problem, I have two young kids at home now. Not sure how feasible it will be to keep driving back to MATC to work on my MC... (time constraints). not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
CORRECT - never just try to jump and leave -

Like Endy Stated - leave the connection connected for min of 20 min -
Go walk away - they try to start still connected.

Make sure you have solid connection -

90% of jumpers cables are junk.
Go get a new set if close by.

Test jump connection turning on key - to see if Head light is bright - turn key off - walk away.

There's 2 points to jump charge-
1. At the battery-

2. Starter Relay - if seat is not able to be removed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just be sure the new battery you installed has a full charge prior to installation. Tighten those cables with a wrench or socket. Don`t use a trickle charger, use an actual battery charger - Hope that helps !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you sir... Problem, I have two young kids at home now. Not sure how feasible it will be to keep driving back to MATC to work on my MC... (time constraints). not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?
Here's a good guide to read up on it. (I know it says for Valkyrie's, but it's pretty much the same for all Honda's.)

Definitely wait to see if someone else has advice so you can try a few different things when you go back.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The switch contacts are in the button you push to start the bike. Take apart, clean contacts. Be careful not to lose parts.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?
Then may have dual problems - as stated.

Start button Switch.

Fuses

Verify it cranks - mini jump with pliers at start relay main large cables -
There's a better way using the low signal circuit at relay with a small wire.

I'll have to find that print view.

Lighted circuit tester will verify all fuses in a minute vs pulling them all out - painful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Battery is in

I don't think it's the Batt connection, because there's ZERO light to the headlight. If there was a weak connection, there'd be some light right? This leads me to believe a fuse is blown. Where is the fuse box, and what are some common fuse types? I could swing by an auto parts store (on the way there) and snag a few different fuses to try out? The starter connection burnout is an interesting theory, where is that located?

Thanks again.
Erik

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just learned my auto insurance has included roadside assistance with no deductible. If the simple fuse fix doesn't help, I might have to get it transported to a shop?

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Just learned my auto insurance has included roadside assistance with no deductible. If the simple fuse fix doesn't help, I might have to get it transported to a shop?
There's spare fuses in the fuse box holder -

One can swap one fuse for another if it gets the problem solved for blown starting fuse

It's a rough sketch - but this is your relay - and how to make it function.
From Han's files -

The Bareass site does't have the view.

Bring it home - or you won't see the Scoot for a week.
Plus the nonsense of not knowing the real problem.
When it's quite simple.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
http://www.vtxcafe.com/member.php/20101-mooneydriver

VTX1300 Starter and Schematic
Jumping VTX 1300 starter switch…
Should you surmise that your “starter switch” is inoperative. Use a piece of #14 insulated solid copper wire approximately 10 inches long to make a jumper with. Strip back the ends ¼ - 3/8 inch long and sharpen these ends. This wire (jumper) is denoted as the thick red wire shown on the schematic.
(1) Side stand in down position and place transmission in neutral..
(2) Remove the fuse feeding head light, this will allow higher voltage to starter motor..
(3) Remove right side cover and locate the starter relay..
(4) Turn ignition switch to the on position..
(5) Use your jumper and connect one end to the red wire in the four pin connector top of the starter relay..
Connect the other end of jumper wire to the yellow wire with red stripe in the four pin connector top of the starter relay..

THE STARTER MOTOR SHOULD TURN THE ENGINE OVER - IF NOT GO TO STEP 6..
(
6) Might need assistance, but pull clutch in and attempt cranking using the jumper as above.
Should this fail, other problem than starter switch. Most likely will be faulty ground on side stand on neutral switch.
Note that this test bypasses all switches including the ignition switch and the 10 amp fuse in the starter circuit. The reason for turning ignition switch on is to power up ICU, ignition coils and etc.

Following is VTX1300 schematic:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome

You guys rock!

Thanks for the help.

I bought some fuses, but all the fuses appeared fine. I had it transported. Bike is safe (not in a tech school lot).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts