Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for advice from the board on a problem I ran into this morning. Installed kury run/turn/brake mod on Saturday. All lights worked as expected and was not getting any funny behavior from electrical system. Did not ride my bike over the weekend.

Go to run the bike today and the darned thing won't turn over. Checked the fuses this evening and they all look alright. Can get a buzzing sound when hitting the ignition switch (the starter trying to kick off the engine?) but this will go away after a couple of tries. If I wait a few minutes, can repeat (with buzzing) but no dice on getting the engine started. Switched the 10A ignition fuse with a spare to confirm whether the fuse was blown but no dice.

Not sure how the mod would hcause this but am hoping you guys/gals can chime in with advice or related experiences to help me get to the problem.

Just to give details to the experts, here is what I did:

1. installed the kury controller KY-4860 to my rear light wiring using Radioshack crimp-on snap connectors. Did not want to solder and make the job permanent. After confirming that all lights were working as intended, electrical taped all connections to keep the connections secure and dry.

2. probably only ran the lights for 15 minutes total to a) check that everything was working and b) brag to the neighbors - the mod looked great with the new Kury deep dish bezel red light bulb turn signals. Have also been running an LED tail light for a week prior to making this mod - just want to make sure I am providing full information

My wiring worked out like this:

Orange and light blue to turn signals - all work as expected
Brown for rear brake and brake light - again, worked as expected
Green to ground (isn't green always a ground wire?)
Green with yellow stripe for power (last one left must be the power cable - normally isn't this guy black?)

Appreciate any help that you guys can offer on what/why whatever happened happened. Suspect I will need a new battery but I do not want to replace without knowing whether what I did will just eat up another battery.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
blaya04 said:
Orange and light blue to turn signals - all work as expected
Brown for rear brake and brake light - again, worked as expected
Green to ground (isn't green always a ground wire?)
Green with yellow stripe for power (last one left must be the power cable - normally isn't this guy black?)
Brown is running
Green/yellow is brake.

Charge up the battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the help so far - Will jump this weekend

Guys, will definitely check the battery. My concern is finding out the battery gone bad (coincidence?) and then putting in a new battery and having the module drain it for some reason that I would not even begin to understand.

Question on checking/jumping the battery. Assuming that this would either be a moto/moto jump given similar battery size. Outside of this I would appreciate confirmation that moto/auto is a really bad idea. Lastly, can anyone think of a reason why a simple wiring connection would drain the battery? Just find it highly unlikely that I am dealing with a battery that just happened to go down at this moment.

Poison - assuming I just got the colors mixed up in my description as the taillight would not work if I had hooked it up to the power wire.

David LW - Did you ever figure out what caused the issue?

As always, we have a fine bunch of bros here. Appreciate the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts