Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually pretty good about finding these rattles but this has stumped me.

What: rattle from the rear of bike upon decel from 35-30, in 5,4,3,2.
Bike: 2007 1300c with 13.5k

Only recent updates are new tires were installed this past Saturday; Metzeler 888

It sounded like the license plate was rattling. Removed license plate and sound is still around. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rattle

I have a 06 c. makes same rattle. Got pronounced worse after tire change. I have not got a clue what it is. Took it to dealer and no luck(they said it has a rattle). I have 17000 mi on mine been doing this since new. Good luck. RAF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh - it just started after the tire change too.

Removed saddle bags to hear the noise more clearly.

Don't recall my rear caliper having this much side to side movement but the front caliper doesn't move as much. Both bolts are torqued to spec. Doesn't look like I am missing any washers and my pads have plenty of life remaining.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Look at My Thread (Question)

look at my thread started 6/2012 might get some ideas. I checked all the ideas with no help. RAF

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Exhaust pipe cover clamps?? Muffler to bracket??? Bracket to frame??

Tire change----caliper stop bolt tight? Prevents rotation.

Axle spacer in place between wheel bearing and caliper bracket??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay - thxs for the suggestions/tips, I may have solved it.

The helmet lock was lose but that didn't remedy the rattle. The noise is more like a buzz between 35-30 upon decel only. Why that speed; who knows?

What I did notice this morning during my commute though was; under light braking it is more noticeable than under heavy braking. And, using 100% front brake it is noticeable but under 100% rear brake no noise. So, that tells me that my rear rotor, pads and shims are creating the buzz sound.

Make sense?

Now, how to remedy it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Put bike on stand, put in gear to get back tire turning, put in neutral and apply brakes, hunt for source of noise. Rinse & repeat. :lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a similar rattle that couldn't be found. Dealer couldn't find it either. I changed brake pads when they needed it, low and behold no more rattle. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Some using EBC pads have had a buzzing sound from their brakes. Something about those pads will cause the buzzing, I use them and have not heard it but one time. I believe it has something to do with air getting trapped in the holes pf the roter.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First - thank you all for the assistance. But a BIG thank you goes out to board sponsor Direct Line Parts. The rattle is the anti-rattle brake clips but the rattle is due to the new tire being out of round. Yes, a brand new Metzeler 888 is out of round! Who da thunk it!!!

I spent the afternoon with a buddy and we systematically went through everything and even found a rattle with the rear pipe cover. We confirmed it with another wheel and placed the phone call to DLP. DLP is sending me a replacement and has issued a call tag.

Whoot whoot!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes, a brand new Metzeler 888 is out of round! Who da thunk it!!!
It happens. I had a brake job done on my truck once and had to bring it back the next day because something wasn't right. Turns out the brand new rotor they just put on was slightly warped. Took them a while to figure it out, but they replaced it no charge. Glad you got it figure out!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well...the replacement tire arrived yesterday. Previous tire took 85grams to balance?!? The replacement tire took 20grams - hooray!!! However, the rattle, buzz, vibration at 30-35 is not gone. I am so bummed, I really thought that was going to solve it.

I can can reproduce the rattle, buzz, vibration on accel and decel - just hold speed between 30-35 and you will hear and feel the buzz.

Why didn't I feel this with my Dunlops?!? I am thinking that the Dunlops are a softer compound than the Metzeler and it's a harmonic buzz. Not sure but either way I am stumped.

Any ideas ? I saw a similar post on vtx cafe but never saw a solution posted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rattle

Good luck finding rattle. I have looked for the noise since I got the bike new. Have got tired of looking. Going to get rid of the clunker when I afford it. RAF

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got that buzz too. It happens around 31-33mph. I had heard it a little every once in awhile before but got really anoying after the rear tire change. I too put on the metzler 888 and also changed the rear brakes(with EBC) while I had the tire off. I am going to take the pads out next week and see if it still does the same thing. Its real easy to duplicate so a trip around the block will tell me. I would do it right now but its raining. I have tried putting it up on stands and running ti up to speed but did not hear anything when I did that. Tried the rubber mallet too and did not hear anything either.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts