Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Took the rear brake off today went around the block and it's still there so it's not the brake. Put it in the stand and no noise so it has to be under load.

Therefore, that leaves the shock, swingarm or driveshift. Swapped the shocks from left to right and the noise didn't transfer sides. It's really mind boggling but yet so elusive. Lowered the spring tension, still there. Then it started to rain...maybe tomorrow I can two up and see if it exists under full load.

The only rattle I have found with a tennis shoe was the rubber exhaust tab had failed but that is not the noise I hear and feel

For 2.50/ea I am willing to try the bushings < http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?358049-Noise-in-rear-of-bike&highlight=Swingarm > but I don't think it will solve it. As for the shaft, this just started after a tire installation and the noise exists with the engine off and the clutch in

Thanks again for the help/assistance

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
OP, did you remove the mufflers from the bike when you changed the rear tire? If so, could be something loose with the heat shield clamps or something else. Also, I had a squeak once in one of my shocks, and I just rotated the top cover a few times until the squeak went away. Something was up in there, but rotating it cleared it up.

Good luck finding rattle. I have looked for the noise since I got the bike new. Have got tired of looking. Going to get rid of the clunker when I afford it. RAF
Clunker...:lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
All I can think of, is to check the obvious, again. Fender strut bolts, exhaust baffles, check inside your fenders and make sure none of the welded nuts have broken from the inner brackets. License plate tight? Is the little rubber grommet between the plate and the bracket still there? Good luck, hope it doesn't drive you nuts before you find it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not coming from the lights but it was worth a try and the stock pipes were not removed to install the tire but I did inspect those bolts

I am thinking that it is the spring inside the chrome housing that is the culprit. Its almost like the spring has shifted could be vibrating against the chrome cover.

As the bike slows on decel and the suspension is in a different position than compared to acceleration. The vibrations from the bike, tire and road are transferring through to the spring. Its a metallic buzz that I hear and feel. Is there a way to visually inspect the spring to see if has shifted or come out of the spring seat?

Limited on riding today ...watching the rain bands

Too bad I cant ride without the shocks to test

·
Registered
3 Posts
I alos installed new bushings on the tops of the shocks. There was noticeable sag where the bolt that holds the top of the shock, didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I alos installed new bushings on the tops of the shocks. There was noticeable sag where the bolt that holds the top of the shock, didn't make any difference.
I would be willing to bet that if the top bushings were shot the bottoms are too. You should replace them as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read a lot of threads on rattles so I decided to write about a recent experience I had. I will probably be ridiculed for this one but what the heck, it may help someone. I have stock pipes, so I here everything. For quite some time I had been hearing an occasional rattling, grinding sound. It was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from but it sounded like it was coming from the rear. There were some times I would not here anything but other times it was very noticeable. One day when I was hearing the noise I had stopped by my nephew's house to ride with him so I asked him to take a ride on mine to see if he could tell where it was coming from. He even left his helmet off so he could hear better. After a couple of trips up and down the road he came back and said he didn't hear anything. I got back on and same noise. I took off my helmet and noise gone. My helmet has a plastic visor with snaps that ride in slots. The visor would sometimes get in a position where it would vibrate in the wind coming around the windshield. You would think you could tell if the noise was coming from your head but not so in this case.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
LOL - I wish it was that easy that would be perfect, I would be in hog heaven. Ah-hem -Honda heaven I mean :)

Not only am I hearing this noise but I feel it too. I am in holding pattern at the moment while I wait for some replacement shocks. Borrowing some from another VTX rider.

Also going to install some poly bushings courtesy of vtx-treme

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
EBC brake pads will cause a buzzing sound, it is the way the groves in the pads and the holes in the rotors pass each other when the wheel is turning. Best pads for the VTX are OEM pads.

Look at the mounting bolts for the rear shocks and if you see a partial moon looking shape of the bushing around the shock bolt then the bushing is bad. I went to a Muskegon Bike Time bike event and every VTX 1300 and 1800 that was there the bushings were bad around 30 - 50 of them.
Do not replace the shocks , just the bushing and not with OEM bushings.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update

No change still chasing. However, here is a list of items that I have done

Brakes are OEM and have plenty of life remaining
Removed rear caliper
Bushings are poly
Flip flopped the shocks and the noise didn't change sides
Changed final drive fluid - replaced with Honda
Removed mufflers
Bearings spin smoothly
Shocks set to 2

After all of this the noise is still present but yesterday a glimmer of hope. My wife and I went for a brief ride with it being 39 degrees. No noise! WTH!!

So, the bike has to be under a heavier load than my skinny arse to make it disappear. Well, I am not gaining any weight to make this disappear.

With 13.5k miles and all service up to date, I am scratching my head what this could be. :dontknow:

Cheers and Happy New Year

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Correct

So if anyone has a set of OEM shocks laying about and are willing to let me try them, I will pick up the shipping to and from.

Not overly optimistic at this point.

Let me know, cheers

Sean

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Without going back thre all the post for the info are you running OEM shocks if so what setting on both. On the 1&2 setting the there is a chance the top chrome cover would not have enough pressure on it and when you go down the road just the normal up and down movement of the shock could be relieving the shock just enough to let the cover to rattle. Try going to 3 setting on both sides so there is more pressure up against the chrome cover.

a note for those with back problems contrary to what you would think lower settings are harder on the back , I learned the ard way and when I tightened up the shock the better it was on my back.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Will do - thanks Doug

Just bumped it to 3, will drive after dinner and will report back later tonight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Larger guy here, been using #3 setting for a while now. Thinking about trying a used set of 1800 shocks.
Already have the Green bushings installed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Update

Dinner isn't until 730 EST, so I went out for brief ride.

Started out in setting 3 - rattle/buzz/vibration still presnt
Same in setting 4 & 5

Put it back to 2 and rode home

So if anyone local to RDU or even remotely close within 2.5hrs. I would gladly ride to your location so that you may hear this rattle/buzz. Would entertain buying your breakfast or lunch for your time in assisting with the troubleshooting.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 79 Posts