Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I've got over a foot of snow on the groung and temp is 11* and snowing so if you start now in about 16 hrs you'll be here. So bring it on up :lol: lol. You might not want to ware your shorts and tank top though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OEM shocks

I put a used pair of oem shocks on mine. the noise never went away but changed pitch. If you want them pm me your address and I will ship. I dont have much hope of it fixing your rattle. Worth a try. RAF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
PM sent

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shocks

Hey icycle did you get the shocks? USPS tracker says delivered. Took my bike out for a ride today and with 2 up the rattle is gone. ???? Don't know what to say. RAF

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know you mentioned that you checked the heat shield rubber grommets, but are you sure they are still in place? In my 10 years with this bike the only rattles I've had has been the rear exhaust heat shield and the speedo cover.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update

This week has been odd between the arctic vortex and rain; working on the mc has been hit and miss. And yesterday, we had tornado warnings - crazy weather for January!!!!!

I installed additional shocks from member -flatso. No change, noise still there. :(

Today, I am going to start from the front of the mc and work towards the fender.

More to come

Sean

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I know what lugging is and it's not that but I wish it was and that doesn't explain the metallic sound. For now I will continue to search for it but with weather like today all I could do was ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine had a buzzing metallic kinda sound to it also, found that a hose clamp from the pair valve was rubbing against the spark plug cover. Moved clamp and noise went away. You may want to check that if you still have pair valve on.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Mine had a buzzing metallic kinda sound to it also, found that a hose clamp from the pair valve was rubbing against the spark plug cover. Moved clamp and noise went away. You may want to check that if you still have pair valve on.
Good idea.

IC2M, for that matter, take all of your spark plug covers off and your sidecovers. Then if the noise is gone, put one on at a time and go ride until you find the culprit. This has got me stumped, too.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I know what lugging is and it's not that but I wish it was and that doesn't explain the metallic sound.
The point of lugging is the hardest zone of vibration -
So if lugging make the noise heard first vs clutch pulled coasting - at what point is it heard & not heard is the question.

For many - The source has always been the dash or headlight.
If windshield is used - sound waves will be deflected like radar dish to where source is false.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will definitely try those and report back. I know 'Flatso' has the same mystery rattle noise and two others; neither of them have solved it either. It is just odd how this disappears with the wife on the back and will happen will the clutch in and let out and surfaced after a tire change.

However, yesterday evening after my Sunday cruise I went over the lower front end near the radiator. The chrome shroud was not floating on the rubber bushing. I sprayed some silicon on the bushing and worked it free. I also sprayed silicon on the upper mounts.

Auto part Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

I will know this morning after my commute to work.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
another thing to check is to see if the top of the rear heat shield is to close to acorn bolt. Also if there is to much play in the top mounting flange of the same heat shield.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Argggg :banghead: :cus: :banghead: :cus:

maybe I should disassemble the bike and start from scratch.

I am not giving up but I am not going to waste daylight trying to find it either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Still a mystery

Yesterday I received a flange bear from Jon's1800VTXC and installed it this morning. No change, the rattle / vibration is still there !:banghead:

So here's a list of everything

new flange bearings
new final drive oil
installed another set of rear shocks
replaced rear bushings with poly bushings
It's not the rear brake because I removed the rear caliper
It's not coming from the front

Could it be the clutch?

Currently using Amsoil had previously used Honda

Mileage 13.5k

Could it be the swing arm bearings? But why would it now show up after a tire change?

Could it be the drive shaft or final drive? The oil out of the final drive didn't have any metal particles in it.

I know other members are experiencing this buzz/vibration upon decel between 35-30 but I done everything that I have found to fix this....

Ideas ????

Anyone

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Its the cut, groove of the tire. But I must say you are an persistant individual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I would like to believe you but wouldn't everyone with a Metzler 888 be having the same issue?

I didnt have have this with the Dunlop 404 and I don't know what the other members are running/using

How can prove it? I have changed air pressure and it didn't change

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Toughest thing to do is determination of what you/I consider a rattle. Wobble, vibration. My metzes do after about 10K. Probably get worse until I change them. I get strange vibrations from the glass lens covering the faceplate at times. I also have a rattle going over RR tracks I dont know what causes that one. Good luck and keep us posted.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts