Honda VTX Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Ahhhh let me clarify/rephrase then. This buzz/vibration has a metallic sound. The sound is loud enough to hear while wearing a full face helmet and you feel the buzz/vibration in your backside.

Now here is the interesting twist; upon riding 2 up the noise disappears. The sound is similar to a heat shield being loose or the license plate rattling but I have removed the mufflers and the plate and the noise stays. I have also removed the helmet lock.

Definitely an odd gremlin to find; he is a bugger

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If it disappears when 2 up it must be the rear seat. Remove seat and ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It's a Corbin Young Guns and has been on the bike for almost year and this just started at 12.5k, 2months ago when I got new tires.

I am leaning towards the fender and the support bracket underneath the fender. Only because I have tried everything else. Almost as if there is gap between the bracket and fender but all the bolts are tight.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Took the saddle off and sat on a pillow - rattle/buzz still there

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Inner fender support?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I am beginning to think so. I have stopped for evening will resume tomorrow

Thanks for the responses

cheers

sean

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
By George I think I have found it!!!!

I have removed the fender and went for a ride and shazam the noise went away!!!!! :D

I suspect that that it could be the fender and fender support bracket or it's the chrome fender grab rails. Either way, I am going to use some neoprene washers and/or O-rings for each of contact points. Much like the fix for the instrument cluster vibration/buzz/rattle noise.

For all that helped - THANK YOU!

I will post pics of the work; off to purchase some supplies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You have probably pinpointed the problem, but I just thought about the spacers used when you mount a backrest, luggage carrier or saddle bags. That may well be your vibration or buzz

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
This noise occurred with and without the Viking bags on but would disappear with the wife on the back. Since this is my daily commuter vehicle, hearing this rattle every day drove my crazy.

Just glad that I pinpointed it

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This noise occurred with and without the Viking bags on but would disappear with the wife on the back. Since this is my daily commuter vehicle, hearing this rattle every day drove my crazy.

Just glad that I pinpointed it
But are there not spacers used between the backrest mounts and fender side rails? There are on my Honda deluxe backrest mounts. Riding 2 up, your passenger would be applying more pressure on the mounting hardware of the backrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Yes, the stock chrome washers/spacers. Was contemplating using some delrin spacers. Will need to check with ACE hardware.

All things to keep in mind during re-assembly

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Late to the party, but I'll say I had a similar rattle and it was the rear fender. I replaced the bolts that hold the fender and fender rail together, and the rattle went away. My bike had a sissy bar on it when I bought it and the rattle appeared after removing it. Since you have saddle bags, I would make sure the bolts are going all the way through to hold the fender tight to the inner rail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, so I have a pretty close story, I put a new metzler 888 on the back of the bike, along with EBC pads and have Viking bags on. I have this rattle buzz noise that I swear is exhaust shield on my V&H pipes I’ve pried and bent the shield removed the brakes blah blah same exact path your on. I’m going to try and pull me rear fender and see if I can get one last ride in as it’s getting colder everyday on the east coast of Canada! What washers were the ultimate fix?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hello, so I have a pretty close story, I put a new metzler 888 on the back of the bike, along with EBC pads and have Viking bags on. I have this rattle buzz noise that I swear is exhaust shield on my V&H pipes I’ve pried and bent the shield removed the brakes blah blah same exact path your on. I’m going to try and pull me rear fender and see if I can get one last ride in as it’s getting colder everyday on the east coast of Canada! What washers were the ultimate fix?
Your in a thread from Jan. 2014.. If no one chimes in start a new thread.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
ME888 mainly decel 27-28 MPH, causes shock covers to vibrate.
Only when riding solo. When wife was on no noise.
Boots/shoes back of heels may have damped the vibe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ME888 mainly decel 27-28 MPH, causes shock covers to vibrate.
Only when riding solo. When wife was on no noise.
Boots/shoes back of heels may have damped the vibe.
good idea, ill show the wife this and see if she will go for a ride

·
Registered
471 Posts
If anybody new to the x sees this: Another common noise/buzz/rattle/ vibration (depending on what you want to call it) is the speedometer housing on the tank. I went through hell trying to find that noise. A few people, even mechanics kept pointing me towards the rear end /swingarm/ujoint area. Even people on forums were thinking the tire or something else. No one mentioned the housing. So, I had pulled the whole swingarm off finding nothing. Finally, one day put my hand on the tank while riding and the noise went away. I didn't know what to feel. Since then , I have seen the fix mentioned on forums.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts