Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at wits end!!!
I put the battery in the bike about three weeks ago, after storing it in my basement for the winter. During the winter I had it on a wooden shelf and I put a charger on it for an hour per month.
I went to start the bike and it started just fine. My wife were on our way out of town for a Sunday trip and stopped at the gas station for a fill up of fuel and tires.
I went to pull away from the air pump and the battery didnt have enough power to turn over the engine.
After finally getting it home, I decided that with the battery being about 3 years old, I would just get a new one... Didnt want problems down the road.
I purchased a new one, poured in the battery acid and charged it on the charger for 5 hours as recomended at 2 amps.
As I installed it,I also installed a pigtail for a "Battery Tender".
I got on the bike the next morning and took off for work. I noticed the headlight was not as bright as it should be but didnt think to much of it.
After work I went out and tried to start it but the battery seemed to lack a lot of power, but it did start.
On my way home, about 14 miles, I noticed the speedometer started wacking out and the high beam indicator was going off at the same time.
After a few minutes the speedometer and all lights went out but the bike ran fine.
About a block from home the engine started bucking and sputtering. I got home and put a test meter on the pigtail and found the new freshly charged battery was down to 11.1 volts DC.
I called the local battery mart and found that a fully charged battery will read 12.6 to 13.6 volts DC.
12.5 volts is 50% charged
12.4 volts is 25% charged and 12.3 volts and below is a dead battery.
I had been charging the old battery and the charger showed it was fully charged so I installed that and removed the pigtail for the battery tender.
I wasnt sure if that was the cause or what.
I thought that maybe the engine was maybe running off the battery only and maybe the generator was not charging, so I started the bike and removed the negative battery terminal and the engine killed. I reconnected the battery and started the engine and this time I pulled the hot wire and again the engine killed.
Does this mean that the bike is indeed running solely off the battery and the generator is bad or is this normal or what.
If there was a short in a wire I would think that a fuse would blow.
Any suggestions???

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like the alternator(generator) too me. But I honestly have no idea. Probably under warranty.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It does sound like you charging system is not keeping the battery charge. First check the wires going to the regulator make sure they have not come down loose. If that is not the case you will have to check the altenator. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I had a simalar problem a few months ago. I found the brand new battery I had baught was bad.
Interstate told me it takes 24 hours to fully charge a battery.
you might want to take the battery back and have them load test it.
this may not be your problem at all but, its a good first step.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pepsX said:
I had a simalar problem a few months ago. I found the brand new battery I had baught was bad.
Interstate told me it takes 24 hours to fully charge a battery.
you might want to take the battery back and have them load test it.
this may not be your problem at all but, its a good first step.
I will try that too!!! thanks

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The regulator is under the bike, in front of the back tire, attached to the bracket that holds the pipes. If you have a voltmeter handy you can check if the bike is charging. just hook the voltmeter to the battery terminals and check your voltage with the bike off. Start the bike and read the meter again the voltage should go up. On a good charging system the voltage read 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Charge one of the battery's and install it . Check the regulator wiring connector under the seat on the left side, its covered with a tubular rubber cover. My guess would be you loosened it removing or installing the battery. Start the bike and check the voltage across the battery at idle it should be 14 volts +.

·
Registered
740 Posts
rectifier wire work loose? man that must happen alot. did a search on "Battery dead", and read a bunch. wow.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silvervtx04s said:
Charge one of the battery's and install it . Check the regulator wiring connector under the seat on the left side, its covered with a tubular rubber cover. My guess would be you loosened it removing or installing the battery. Start the bike and check the voltage across the battery at idle it should be 14 volts +.
MAN I LOVE THIS WEB SITE!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sure enough there it was the connector was pulled apart about an inch.
Thank You Thank You Thank You
Thank you all for the help
Great Ideas.
I checked the voltage at the battery while running now, and it shows 14.15 to 14.20 volts.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Again I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts