Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help guys.
I have a 2008 VTX1300 R Has 8800 kms completely stock. Everytime I go to pull away from standing stop it feels flat to the point of almost stalling. runs fine cruising, at slower speeds with lower idle as i apply light throttle it seems to have a flat spot also.

I have set the air/fuel to 2 1/2 turns out. Set idle to approx 950 rpms. Any ideas.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
8800km/5468 miles. Average of 456 miles/733 km per year.
Most of the mileage is accrued in the first few years.
PMS = Parked Motorcycle Syndrome is damaging to the carb.
Gasohol = deterioration and clogging of parts.
Verify all vacuum hoses are good.
Clean the carb. MR VTX Carb 101 has been posted several times lately.
"Search Community" seems to be a good search engine.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Ya got slack in the throttle cable....joking.....good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So with the carb set to 2 1/2 out it seems to have cured the flat spot. Now the bike has a relly bad vibration at highway speeds from 60mph and up. I tried to pull in the clutch and see if it might be the tires and as soon as the rpms dropped the bike was like glass. I also find that everytime the bike gets the rpms around the same as the highway in any gear the bike gives the same vibration. I have pulled in the clutch when slowing down and just held the throttle in upper revs and the vibration returns.
Vibration goes through my feet really bad, handlebars, and my wife says she feels it in the backrest and foot pegs.

I have attempted to clean the carb by blowing out all ports with carb cleaner and compressed air, I have adjusted the air/ fuel from lean (1 3/4) to rich (3 out), checked the battery connections. I did bump it up to premium and within 5 minutes the bike did get smoother by about 25%.
Bike is all stock except the old owner drilled 5 small holes in the tail of the exhaust.
Could the holes in the exhaust be the cause? Or could it be in need of a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The holes drilled in the exhaust are no problem. You can change the air filter or the exhaust with no change to the carb. With that minimal amount of mileage i wouldnt think it would be valves. Check the spark plugs make sure its firing on all 4 plugs properly. Run some carb cleaner in the fuel as well check the fuel line and vaccum lines

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The holes drilled in the exhaust are no problem. You can change the air filter or the exhaust with no change to the carb. With that minimal amount of mileage i wouldnt think it would be valves. Check the spark plugs make sure its firing on all 4 plugs properly. Run some carb cleaner in the fuel as well check the fuel line and vaccum lines
I will check the plugs tonight. I looked at one last night and it looked great. Just brown. I did notice when I brought it home I was on the highway for 1 hour and it ran great. It did have ne fuel and seafoam in it. Since then i havve not used the seam foam. I will report back on plug condition right away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. I checked the plugs and they look nice. Brown colour and little signs of use. Checked for spark at each plug and spark is good. I put some seafoam into it again. Seems to run fine at idle. No hesitation. Nice clean blip. Just bad vibration when riding even in the city feels like im riding over marbles Yet with the clutch pulled in its smooth as glass.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
putter around To move from place to place, doing trivial, random, or aimless tasks or activities.
Puttering around today after a run to the post office, and I realized it was a bumpy ride.
I thought of your issue.
I pulled clutch, it was smooth. released clutch bumpy ride back.
It was between 50 and 60 MPH, in 5th where this was going on.

When riding the headlights from traffic behind multiply.
Two headlights look like four headlights. A nice oscillation!
The engine is solid mounted to the frame. 1800 has rubber between engine and frame.
I had some cheap shorty mufflers on one time, at 52 MPH indicated I almost puked multiple
times at that speed. It was not long before I purchased HK pipes.
No puke issues now but pulses are noticeable.
Still has that extra pulse thump at 52 MPH indicated.

When I first put on a windshield, wind buffeting was an issue.
I did the measurements, seem to fall in line.
After a few days or so I acclimated and everything seemed to be normal.

Maybe nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
putter around To move from place to place, doing trivial, random, or aimless tasks or activities.
Puttering around today after a run to the post office, and I realized it was a bumpy ride.
I thought of your issue.
I pulled clutch, it was smooth. released clutch bumpy ride back.
It was between 50 and 60 MPH, in 5th where this was going on.

When riding the headlights from traffic behind multiply.
Two headlights look like four headlights. A nice oscillation!
The engine is solid mounted to the frame. 1800 has rubber between engine and frame.
I had some cheap shorty mufflers on one time, at 52 MPH indicated I almost puked multiple
times at that speed. It was not long before I purchased HK pipes.
No puke issues now but pulses are noticeable.
Still has that extra pulse thump at 52 MPH indicated.

When I first put on a windshield, wind buffeting was an issue.
I did the measurements, seem to fall in line.
After a few days or so I acclimated and everything seemed to be normal.

Maybe nothing is wrong.
I do agree that this just could be the bike and not just a problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts