Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace 750. He has a rattle that he cannot identify. It is rpm dependent and loud. The bike is out of warranty and we would like to fix it ourselves if possible. Someone has suggested that it might be the cam-chain tensioner, but I am unsure of that. I know some people on this board have experience with Shadows, does anyone have experience with this issue in particular? Thanks for any help you can provide. I know this is not 1800 tech, but this is the best place I know to come to for tech help.

Tim

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Are you sure it is coming from the engine? I know the headlight can make a heck of a rattle. Just put your hand on it (when its rattling) to see if it changes. As for the cam chain tensioner, has he added a carb cover recently? The reason I ask is the bolt that holds the tensioner is beside one of the bolts that some carb covers use. I have heard of a few people who have loosened/removed the wrong bolt accidentally. If it was accidentally removed, getting it back in properly is a pain (since it is spring loaded). That 750 motor is pretty bullet proof. I put almost 50k in 2 years on my ACE without missing a beat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The small shaddows are pretty tough little bikes that don't make a lot of engine noise.

I would start by listening for where the sound is comming from. A mechanic's stethoscope is a good investment, some parts stores sell them for $10 or so. Also a wooden dowell rod held against one ear (not in the ear) touched against various engine parts will work well too.

Look for the case, cover or access plate that will get you closest to the source of the noise. In most cases it will only cost the price of a gasket to look.

If you don't have a shop manual for your bike. Get one before you start. It doesn't need to be the Honda version. Hanes or Clymer are almost as good. If you are not familure with the engine it can help to find the problem and make sure you get it back togather correctly.

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts