Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just spent the whole afternoon reading about AMSOIL. So now I want to buy it and change all my oils on my 600 mile change. So I called the stealer and they said I would void my warranty and I would not break my motorcycle in properly. I am not a mechanic nor an expert, I just want the very best for my VTX. So ask all you pros out there, is it too early to run AMSOIL on my 600 mile service? If so when should I run it? I dont trust the advice from the stealers :evil: so please advise me! I'm taking a trip from orlando to miami after I ship my bike from boston, MA on may 20 so I want my bike in top notch condition. Also what are the mile intervals for AMSOIL oil change...6k? Thanks guys in advance.....
Also sorry for bringing up a subject that was probably beaten to death!

Very frustrated VTX owner :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way

I have a black 2005 1300R :roll:

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
They can not void your warranty for using a different oil. AMSOIL is rated better than the Honda oil, so it's better. Use it, many are and don't worry what they say. It's not like they can taste the difference, see the difference. 8)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
opinions will vary
I had my dealer change mine over at the 600 mile service.
Mercedes, BMW M series, Corvettes, Vipers, Maserati, Ferari, Porsche, Astin Martin and on and on ALL come with synthetic from the factory.
Do what you feel comfortable with.
Spencer :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
The bike is pretty much broke in when they leave Honda. It isn't like the old days of poor tolerances in engine building and the rings needing to be seated in to prevent oil use. The tolerances are far more precise and they run every bike on a dyno before it leaves the plant all the way through the gears at varying speeds. I switched to synthetic at 600 miles, now at 15,000 no problems at all. More and more vehicles leave the plants with syns. bikes too so that synthetic break in crap is just that. 5,000-6,000 is OK but I would change my filter at 3,000 miles. 8)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can't comment on what's right or wrong....but I am a bit conservative...so...in keeping with my nature I am not going to synthetic unit my bike hits at least 3000-4000 miles. The way I see it...(and I am probably wrong)...a 1300cc motor is really no different in overall displacement as some japanese cars...and I would expect with proper maintenance this engine should run for a lot of miles....so if it were my "car" I would not convert my metric to synthetic for at least the first two oil changes.

I don't see it hurting to run regular oil for a few thousand miles...I will have plenty of time to run synthetic if this Honda engine is as good as some other Honda products I have had.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
kenshin863 said:
Hey Guys,

I just spent the whole afternoon reading about AMSOIL. So now I want to buy it and change all my oils on my 600 mile change. So I called the stealer and they said I would void my warranty and I would not break my motorcycle in properly. I am not a mechanic nor an expert, I just want the very best for my VTX. So ask all you pros out there, is it too early to run AMSOIL on my 600 mile service? If so when should I run it? I dont trust the advice from the stealers :evil: so please advise me! I'm taking a trip from orlando to miami after I ship my bike from boston, MA on may 20 so I want my bike in top notch condition. Also what are the mile intervals for AMSOIL oil change...6k? Thanks guys in advance.....
Also sorry for bringing up a subject that was probably beaten to death!

Very frustrated VTX owner :(
I changed to Amsoil at 600 miles and have nothing but good things to say.
Here is a good read if you are interested.
http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Old Rationale

Back in the days when anti-friction additives were the craze (STP and the like), the rationale was that the engines need a breakin period and the rings wouldn't "set" if there was not enough friction to wear the rings in to fit the cylinder walls. As was said before, newer engines are manufactured to closer, more accurate tolerances. I changed to Amsoil at 2,000 miles. I ran the oil the dealer put in at 600 (really 800) miles for 1400 (really 1200) miles before changing to Amsoil. It's your bike, do what you want. How would the dealer know you changed to Amsoil? Besides, Amsoil better oil, a proven fact.

·
Registered
409 Posts
oil

I use castor oil and it never coughs or wheezes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Synthetic don't hurt nuffin.

It's a bunch of marketing hoo-haa that if you put synthetic in "too early"
your engine won't break in properly.

(O-o-o-ooh, A-MAAAZing! Why, it's SOOO magically slippery that your engine
won't even break in with wonderous, mysterious, sYnThEtIc OiL!!!)

It's not that synthetic is soooo much slipperier, it's that it holds up so
much longer.

And it's true that the bike is practically broken in from the factory, so it's
more important that the oil in it is good and it's well filtered, synthetic or otherwise.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I erred on the side of caution and switched at 1,200, I agree with what everyone else has said, the new engines are built with a lot closer tolerences, but they also use low tension rings these days wich do not grab or scrape the cylinder walls as hard as the old engines which is also why they last longer now, but if they have not fully seated putting in oil that is two slick will not help and probably prolong the brake in period. That was just my thoughts when I was debating when to switch.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here's my take on all this dyno oil vs. synthetic oil vs. break-in vs. etc.....

The only thing that MAY HAPPEN by switching to a synthetic oil early on during the life of an engine is that it may take longer for said engine to fully break-in. But, as long as you're not out doing donuts in the Wendy's parking lot with only 10 miles on the clock what difference does it make if it takes a little longer? None....you haven't hurt anything. Plus, as everyone here knows the engines in our bikes have been put through their paces on a dyno before ever leaving the plant. And, most of the break-in process takes place in the first 50 to 75 miles anyway. Most of us did that on the way home from the stealer...I know I did.

As far as it voiding your warranty, that's one of the most laughable statements I've ever heard. Next time a "Honda Certified Mechanic" mentions anything like that, simply pull out your owner's manual and ask him to show you the part where it says not to run synthetic oil.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I read this article that there was a court case about using other than factory oil and filters, and thus voiding the warrenty, and the decision was unless the manufacture provides the oil or filter free of charge under the warrenty, they cannot dictate what brand you use! If I can find this again i will post it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

I will change to AMSOIL at 600, funny the stealer never even heard of it before. After reading all your replies I feel better about doing it. I'll print out the warranty laws and the info from AMSOIL page and bring it with me to the stealer when I do my change. Thanks again for all your input!

2005 Black 1300R currently at 150 miles!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts