Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

looking forward to getting in to the VTX family.

Having a little difficulty deciding what model though.

Prefer the styling of the F..... mags and such..
Like the idea of the larger tank on the R....,
but prefer to have the speedo in the tank, for the simple minimalist idea on the handle bar. see pic for my idea of the simple controls...

Plan on doing some mods in the future, probably in the winter, so some isses like the stock exhaust are not a concern.

Looking forward to all your ideas and feedback.

Thanks,
KJ

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u229 ... =clean.jpg

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ok I'll bite. That photobucket picture didn't show much bike, but what I saw was speaking F model to me. Get the F and start the mods!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've always prefered the F styling over others. It has more of that "drag race" look and feel. Lower profile rear tire and mags did it for me. Digital tach is nice too. Accessories are a bit harder to find for the F as there is less "realestate" to mount things to.

On the other hand, there is just something about the retro styling that always catches my eye when I see others riding them...

G

·
Ok here is my 2 cents worth. It mainly depends on your riding needs and perferences. I had a 1300 S. It had the floorboards, heel toe shifter (great on long trips) but had spoke wheels. I changed them to cast wheels and liked them alot better. Way easier to clean. I rode it for 4 years and then traded to an 1800C because I still have a bit of kid in me. I like it but did give up the floor boards, heel toe shifter etc. I like the increased power, but the gas mileage sucks big time. I was getting between 45 and 50 with the 1300 and now the best I can get is 40 mpg and I really have to baby it to get that much. I don't regret my decision, but just a few things to keep in mind. If you are a young, dashing, daytripper,,the "F" looks like an awesome ride to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Everyone has there own style and opinion, Hence the many different models (C, F, R, RS, Neo)etc.

Each one has it's own individual character. What do you want with a bike? If you want the drag look, maybe a F or C, if you want a more classic look, go with the R ( not S. You are limited on tires with spokes and running radials is the best). The retro also have a heel toe shifter and floorboards along with a bigger tank (5.3 gal vs 4.8 gal).

I am partial to the Retro, but as long as it a VTX, you can't go wrong. Now about the gas mileage....personally you are not going to differ much from one model to the next. There are so many variables that you can't compare apples to oranges.

Good luck and happy purchasing :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get up early and haul yourself down to the local Honda dealer and start looking and sitting! Find a rally this week during the 4th festivities. In the end, it's your decision.

·
Registered
190 Posts
From the looks of the bike in your post, you're more into the sportier look of the F model. Which of course is an excellent choice. :wink: After you have decided on what model and proceed to empty your bank account on mods (don't ask me how I know this) be sure to do your research and ask questions. For example, the bike in your pic has a hypercharger on it, even though I'm 6'3" I still hit my knee on it and grew tired of it, ended up with a Thunder Tornado. Good luck, do your homework and happy riding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys all,

And yes I am more into the sportier look. As I mentioned, I really like the look of a clean uncluttered handlebar, therefore prefer not to have a speedo, or tach up top, which then dictates the speedo in the tank.

Does this then limit my choices? Does the "F" have the speedo in the tank? Because, and all please correct me if I go wrong here, but the speedo with odometer is kind of a nono to change right, you loose the record of mileage. But everything else is changeable.

Eventually like the idea of a rake with T/T's that are now available, and then maybe, maybe joining the 240 club.

Thanks again all,

KJ

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u229 ... anbike.jpg

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
The F is the only model that has a tachometer.

I don't think i have seen an F model locally, but the tach
is in the same instrument as the speedo. I think that the
tach is a row of LEDs.

Personally, I like the Retro fenders.
They look better on a bike equipped with saddlebags
and look more like a custom bike than the fenders
on a C or an F.

I wish that I had the tank of the retro for the
additional range between fillups, but it is not
worth the money or the effort to me to swap tanks.

My bike looks like a Retro but is actually a C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts