Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added the custom dynamics lighted radius laydown plate. Tapped into the licese plate bulb power at the bulb socket, even soldered the connection not taps, I now have no light at original bulb or laydown plate. The fuse is ok, I have marker lights and brake light bulbs working. just no license plate. did I miss a fuse somewhere or have a wire burn out between brake light and license plate. Help

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My SM is downstairs and across the yard in the garage. But, I'm pretty sure there is a copy on this site somewhere. If you have a meter or good test light it will quite easy to indentify the wires in that bundle. Or, discover if one is lacking power when it ought to have it. If you have another pair of hands even easier. But either way not that tough. Take your time.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Almost forgot. 1st try the lamp directly off a battery. Just to rule out that the lamp itself is not FUBAR.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will crawl back under it this evening. I referred to the manual to confirm fuse. Do you know the plate wire connects at the brake light housing or further back in the harness? It is on the same fuse circuit as I read the manual. There are only 2 wires at light and only 2 wires to connect to it. That is why I'm confused here. Simple crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I finally got around to start going LED First mod change flasher cube, Didn't like the bulb swap for turn signals getting another set, next switch plate, Add plate frame, no problem, connect wires at the license plate bulb as it's right there. Connect plate white wire to brown wire black wire to green and nothing on plate or original bulb. License plate bulb is on the same fuse as the tail light. which is working. THIS is why I'm confused.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The connector is at the brake light or the license plate bulb? License Bulb socket is hardwired and unscrew from housing under a cover as in the Manual. Now I want to go home & check.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I added a picture from my 1300C a few posts up.. It could be different.
03-04 S schematic. Sometimes they make changes.

>>> Verify your work>>Tapped into the licese plate bulb power at the bulb socket, even soldered the connection not taps,

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK while feeding the mosquitoes a healthy meal tonight I was able to find and check the connection. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. checked with the test light and It was not the power wire, which was filthy, loose, and corroded but had power. checked at the bulb socket had power with the test light. no light with the bulb in place. It was in fact a broken ground at the hanger point where the connector goes through the fender support. Apparently the previous owner had a problem there as there was loose electrical tape there. no room for a real good join there but I was able to squeeze an ugly solder there, covered and a ton of tape to buffer the point.
Thanks again for the help and now it works the way it is designed too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts