Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I will try another dealer.

Spike, who did you buy from? If they deal like that I am not above flying to chicago to pick up the bike. hell, I could charter a plane to chicago for less than 10k and come out ahead.
One thing to consider lets say you buy a bike out of state and get a great deal better than your local dealer. If you would need warranty work done and go to your local dealer. Will you be treated poorly as a customer (like a step child) for warranty repairs because you didn't buy the bike from them?

·
Registered
2009 Honda VTX1300C
5,498 Posts
Our local motorsports dealer has the galactic standard 2021 Gold Wing on the sales floor, for $34,000 plus doc fees.
It's the regular 6-speed model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Long time reader.
When I was looking for my VTX I went to the local Honda dealer and asked about pricing and test rides. The MSRP had a large dealer markup and there were no test rides (which I kinda of understand).
The thing was I had just left the Victory dealer who was awesome and did test rides. They had a few bikes for test rides but not the specific model I was looking at. They went and pulled the model I was interested in and let me test ride it.
In the end I opted for the my VTX1800 and I ended up driving down to Los Angeles and bought from OTD cycles.
The OTD price with tax and license was just at MSRP.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The OTD price with tax and license was just at MSRP.
The old days when dealerships had plenty of motorcycles on the showroom and in warehouses were some great times to get a good deal on a new motorcycle. Unfortunately we are living in very different times today compared to 15 years ago. With the shortages the way things are today it will be a challenge to buy a new motorcycle at MSRP without excessive extra fees tacked on the price of the bike. We are in some of the worse times to be shopping for a new motorcycle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I prefer the Indian motorcycle myself. Not that you will find them any cheaper, but they do come with a lot of things standard such as LED lighting, something not standard on HD which in the end will cost you 100's to upgrade on an HD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the shortages the way things are today it will be a challenge to buy a new motorcycle at MSRP without excessive extra fees tacked on the price of the bike.
Definitely agree, seeing this on many items. Bought a new car back in 2021 before the shortages and got an okay deal at below MSRP. Now the same car comes with a $5k "market adjustment". So this increases the taxes, and the license fees.
Oh, and all the car dealer lots are practically empty with no inventory.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The old days when dealerships had plenty of motorcycles on the showroom and in warehouses were some great times to get a good deal on a new motorcycle. Unfortunately we are living in very different times today compared to 15 years ago. With the shortages the way things are today it will be a challenge to buy a new motorcycle at MSRP without excessive extra fees tacked on the price of the bike. We are in some of the worse times to be shopping for a new motorcycle.
any vehicle, not just motorcycles. even used cars are being marked up horribly. been hunting for a first car for my kid, the vehicles I am looking at are $3,000 - $5,000 higher today than they were a year ago for the same make/model/mileage I was looking at last summer.

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
One thing to consider lets say you buy a bike out of state and get a great deal better than your local dealer. If you would need warranty work done and go to your local dealer. Will you be treated poorly as a customer (like a step child) for warranty repairs because you didn't buy the bike from them?
While that is likely true, it doesn't make sense. Warranty work is dollars too. Too many in business let emotions get in the way of making money.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I just bought myself a nice, used relatively low miles Harley from a HD dealer, sold just slightly above the KBB value. No BS, and I got a nice trade-in in the process (photo below). Why anybody would buy new is beyond me, with so many good deals on used.

Back on topic though, my HD forum is actually having a discussion about why HD often doesn't have prices on their new bikes in the showroom. Apparently, you're expected to look them up and come in with that as your 'starting point' and then begin the BS process of negotiations, whereby they try to wear you down with games and BS until you finally cave in to finance or an out the door price far above what you expected.

Hell, I visited a Harley dealership for the first time just a few months ago to pick up a part for my new Harley, and was amazed that the dealer had no prices on anything in the entire store! It amazed me that people actually buy things in there, probably because they are too stupid to understand they should be outraged at the nerve of the shop to expect the buyers to ask what the price is for anything they might want, be it a keychain, a T-Shirt, or whatever. It reminds me of the first 'high-end' restaurant I went into with my ex and after being seated, we see the menu has no prices on it! 😲 I told my ex, "We're f-ing out of here!" I suppose the message is, "If you have to ask how much it is, you really don't belong hear peasant." JUST WOW. 😡

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It is changing now. I am flooded with emails from car dealers. They got stuck buying a bunch of over inflated trades and they are desperately trying to not take it in the shorts when they sell them.

Nobody is buying large purchases now. Nobody.

I would be happy to buy a used one if I could find one that was reasonably priced. It appears HD owners are pot heads too. The prices I saw on cycle trader were stupid.

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
Right, it appears to be the whole market right now. Time will tell, but if one were prepared to wait, I see prices having to get pushed down, while financing costs will go up. Everyone will get a better deal up front if they finance, but will pay the price in the long run. We are in for an interesting time ... pun intended.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Right, it appears to be the whole market right now. Time will tell, but if one were prepared to wait, I see prices having to get pushed down, while financing costs will go up. Everyone will get a better deal up front if they finance, but will pay the price in the long run. We are in for an interesting time ... pun intended.
well at least Biden is going to bat for us and suspending the federal fuel taxes, so we can save $3.64 a week on gas :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
well at least Biden is going to bat for us and suspending the federal fuel taxes, so we can save $3.64 a week on gas :rolleyes:
I guess he grew sick & tired of people complaining about saving $0.16 on hot dogs?
Yeah, "leader" of a country, acting as its "chief", openly saying that he's sick and tired of his constituents.
Nobody saw this coming 2 years ago? Remember his infamous lie "I don't work for you"? That was another angry outburst at his constituents.
Let's face it, he hates us, he hates us all. We stand in his way.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I guess he grew sick & tired of people complaining about saving $0.16 on hot dogs?
Yeah, "leader" of a country, acting as its "chief", openly saying that he's sick and tired of his constituents.
Nobody saw this coming 2 years ago? Remember his infamous lie "I don't work for you"? That was another angry outburst at his constituents.
Let's face it, he hates us, he hates us all. We stand in his way.
it amazes me that he and the media don't realize how insulted people are at this "attempt" to ease the inflation. an average savings of $3.64 per week isn't even a half a gallon of gas..

"let them eat cake"

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hot box.....

Probably not a good idea to discuss politics here.

·
Registered
688 Posts
We're in the middle of sky high inflation, fuel.peices are through the roof and we're heading for a recession. Instead of increasing domestic oil production, which would reduce cost and increase revenue, he's increasing the deficit. Brilliant

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For those that want to talk politics, PM the Mods and ask about being added to the hotbox.

Hours of time can be wasted in there.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts