Honda VTX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the VTX line is probably one of the best values there is in motorcycling. I recently bought a 2004 VTX 1300S for $2,800. It has 8,500 miles on it. Yes, it's 18 years old. Yes, its not a Harley. I won't say it even compares to a Harley. But, for less than 15-20% of the price of an equivalent Harley, dang! Sure feels good riding away with all that money STILL in the bank though!

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Think I should try it again? I am thinking I will wait until November. The car dealers are wising up. Maybe these pot heads will too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ecomony is almost in a recession.
gdp reduced for the second straight quarter. we are in a recession. combine it with the low labor force participation rate and the higher interest rates, there's going to be a second one in 2023. if the government doesn't wise up, it could be much worse than the one that started the year.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
One of the nice things about HD is they are quite easy to determine condition. The age of the bike makes little difference. It is simple and quick to slip a borescope in and examine cylinder and valve seating. Combined with a compression test there is not much that can be hidden. The big twin transmissions are really pretty robust so, if there is nothing odd about the way it shifts there should be no surprises there. The suspension is straight forward. If the upper legs (tubes) are dry after a good romp it's good to go. I see many that are technically 15 - 20 years old that do not even have 20,000 miles on them. Unless you really need dealer financing I think it's kinda nutz to buy new.

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Not around here. Not when you show up with a trailer and cash. A lot of these cats are upside down. Once Labor day creeps by it gets even better. I've gone to buy with my nephew where it looked the note on the bike was probably more than the guys rent. Not all economic geniuses.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not around here. Not when you show up with a trailer and cash. A lot of these cats are upside down. Once Labor day creeps by it gets even better. I've gone to buy with my nephew where it looked the note on the bike was probably more than the guys rent. Not all economic geniuses.
howbdo you get the liens released? I doubt these geniuses have two nickels to rub together. Do you just pay the note?

·
Registered
851 Posts
the only way to get the lien released from the title is to pay it.
hopefully the remaining principal on the loan isn't more than you're paying for the bike. you would need to write up a contract stating the person from which you're buying will send you the loan release within a specified time, probably 30 days, or the sale is voided and you'll be refunded. of course, he could just not pay the loan off and waste your money then you'll have to take him to court and not see your money anyways.
you could also have him sign the title over to you and then pay the loan directly and pay the seller the difference. that way you know there's no outstanding lien when you title the vehicle.

at the end of the day, buying a vehicle with a lien from a private party is a risk.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts