Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a great ride today and about 50 miles into it, when my pipes were nice and hot.....I caught a plastic bag....couldn't avoid it :evil:

The trash proceeded to melt itself onto the pipes.

How do you clean this or is it a lost cause :?:

I'm sick over this!!!!!

I can't figure out how to attatch pics so youl just have to imajine the black and brown gook baked to the chrome :cry:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You will probably get as many different ideas of what to use as there are people here.

I have had the best success with Oven Off or WD 40, a little elbow grease and a six pack of your favorite adult beverage.

No worries, it will come off just fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
wal mart sack

had a wal mart sack hit mine and roll down. it spot was 10 inchs used a rag soaked in gas and wringed out it wiped right off. pipes were warm to touch when i did it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS

Thanks for all the help! Let you know how it turns out.....Glad I don't have to but a new bike LOL :roll:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT use Scotchbright (those little green scrubby pads)!

I'd just gotten to work and was putting my cover on when a co-worker came over to "help". I started to tell him I was just pulling it over the windshield and handlebars as the motor and pipes needed to cool a bit first, however, before I finished my sentence, he pulled the back down right onto the pipes. Even though I immediately pulled it off the pipes, there was still some material that had melted right to the pipe. He felt really bad, but I told him it was no problem...honest mistake.

Got home that evening (commute allowed the stuff to bake on for at least 30 minutes) and was armed with gasoline, goof-off, bug/tar remover and oven cleaner. The bug/tar remover did nothing. The goof-off and a rag removed "some" of the stuff, but not much...then it just stopped working...almost like the residue had developed an impervious shell. Gasoline and a rag didn't fair much better. I protected the bike from overspray and warmed her up before spraying the oven cleaner. I let it sit for a while then wiped it off. This took care of about 75% of the goo. However, some sections were really burned/baked on. I repeated the process, but this time I used a Scotchbrite pad in hopes of having the oven cleaner penetrate better. Upon wiping off the oven cleaner, I noticed with horror that my pipes were now dull. I thought maybe I had used too much oven cleaner. But upon closer inspection, I could see all the tiny scratch marks left by the Scotchbrite had dulled the finish. I ended up leaving the remaining goo on as it wasn't as noticeable as a dulled surface.

DON'T USE SCOTCHBRITE...OR ANY OTHER ROUGH SURFACED MATERIAL!

G

·
0 Posts
Rev X said:
DON'T USE SCOTCHBRITE...OR ANY OTHER ROUGH SURFACED MATERIAL!

Have to disagree.....#000 steel wool works great on glass and chrome, and won't scratch either one. My boss dropped a polyester cloth on his hot pipes......when they were still somewhat warm and the melted plastic was semi soft I scrubbed it off in a few seconds with the steel wool.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trick I learned years ago for removing rust from chrome is to ball up a piece of aluminum foil and use that with some lubricant, like WD40 or light oil, to scrub out the rust spot. Works for removing boot scuff marks from my pipes, while they are still warm-to-hot. Aluminum, being softer than the chrome layer wont scratch or scuff it. The lubricant keeps foreign material from scratching the surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts