Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey VTX brothers and sisters,

Just looking for some pointers ie/ things to change and check before I take my 05' 1300S, with 6500 miles on a long trip. To be honest, all i've done at this point is change the oil. Do I need to worry about anything else in terms of fluids this stage in the game?

Thanks, Scrappy

·
Registered
521 Posts
At 6500 miles you should have checked the valves twice already. Once at 600 and again at 4000 miles. I would also change my rear diff oil. Ain't expensive...less than 5 ounces of 80w hypoid oil. Look at your owners manual. The maintenance schedule is there. Also, Just go around with a wrench sometime and check every bolt you can get to for tightness and give the bike the once over. You might be surprised what you find. It's a whole lot easier to find it sitting in your garage than to find it missing on the road with no help! Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
check all fluid levels,tire pressure if still stock dunnies I would change them when changed mine to metzlers the change in handling was like night and day:thumbup: valve adjustment if not done, flat repair kit some tools this is to balance the bike since honda just keep running;) You don't say how long of a trip these are what I would do before riding.

·
Registered
533 Posts
+1 on thecheck all bolt you can. Last year on the way to Sturigs I rode the last 300 miles with no foot peg on the highway bar. No idea when it came off. Look at www.ironbutt.com and they have good list of checks and things to pack. Don't forget Sunscreen. Plan well and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
At 6500 miles you should have checked the valves twice already. Once at 600 and again at 4000 miles. I would also change my rear diff oil.quote]

Honda adds some moly to the rear final drive oil and recommends 24k miles. So I would leave the final drive alone.
Do whatever you can to make your bike as comfortable as possible, risers, seat etc... don't think you'll have any trouble with out of the bike if you just make sure as others said... oil, air levels, airfilter clean, valves checked.
Enjoy your trip :thumbup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
You stated you have 6500 miles on the bike.
How long is your trip? this is the big question.

Will present tires last the whole trip? the less tred you have the quicker it wears, high speed travel wears tires quicker. heavier loads wear tires quicker. ( I ended up putting rear on in CA , Expensive)

Change oil the week before the trip. lets you look for leaks etc before the trip. (recommend synthetic oil)

Load all your gear and take practice run of 100 miles or so. let's you see how the bike feels.

Brake fluids: Look in the window does it look amber/cloudy? Since your bike is an 05 , I would change it. I do every 2 years, or ~10K miles. (It absorbs moisture from the air and degrades)

Lubricate all cables, keeps them free and less likely to break.

Check for a list of things to do and to take. Pare it down to fit your needs.
MUST HAVES:
Bottled water (at least one for drinking or rinsing eyes)
CHAPSITCK
artificial TEARS (for soothing eyes and cleaning out foreign materials use at each gas stop helps prevent fatigue)
Non runny sunscreen (some don't sting if they get in eyes)

MaxB ( has 300K+ miles of traveling this beautiful country):lol:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
At 6500 miles you should have checked the valves twice already. Once at 600 and again at 4000 miles. I would also change my rear diff oil. Ain't expensive...less than 5 ounces of 80w hypoid oil. Look at your owners manual. The maintenance schedule is there. Also, Just go around with a wrench sometime and check every bolt you can get to for tightness and give the bike the once over. You might be surprised what you find. It's a whole lot easier to find it sitting in your garage than to find it missing on the road with no help! Good luck!
I know everybody has their favorite intervals, mine being 4K for oil/filter changs, the Honda engineers had other ideas per the manual's maintenance schedule:

Valves are 600 miles, 8K, 16K, 24K; same for oil and filter

Final drive oil inspect at 8K and 16K and replace at 24K

http://members.cox.net/digiorgiogr/vtx1300smtcsched.tif

·
Registered
95 Posts
:agree:Do all the above! Also just for extra precaution I take a few extra tools, spark plugs, wire ties, and electrical tape. If the trip is going to take you over 9K change the tires for sure. I'm no on my second set of Metzlers.
If your going into high altitude check your tire pressure because it will change due to the altitude.

Most of all enjoy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You all rock!!

Thank you all so much for the great tips. I'll be running from Cincinnati down to "The Gap". Not a real long trip for most of you I'm sure but when your use to riding bar to bar, its a little different. I really appriciate all the pointers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've found it helpful to have a small bottle of windshield and visor cleaner along. I don't like to use the stuff at the gas station since it could contain ammonia which works great on glass but destroys the plexi.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts