Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my X painted during the winter and it is beautiful is I say so myself but this past weekend i was washing it on Sunday and noticed that my sidecover next to my pipes { V& H Bigshots } had become all disfigured and upon closer inspection I saw that the clear looked like it had boiled and pulled the paint away also. Can anyone tell me whjat this is other than the heat from my pipes I will be taking to painter this week but would appreciate any info. One thing we experienced on this 380 mile ride on Sat was a very bad traffic jam where we sat for a long time and maybe it got hotter than usual but I dont think the paint should have been affected

G

·
0 Posts
"Hot Paint"

Is this on a Retro?

Most paints will burn but not melt unless the prep underlying surface material is not binding. What type of final clear coat was used?

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
Some have complained on the R/S models of the side covers melting from the heat of V&H pipes :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Melting Paint

I've got an 03 Retro 1800 and I noticed the other day that the paint on my side cover is blistered also, near the pipe. I am running the stock exhaust. It's not noticeable till the side cover is removed. It's on the lower curved part behind the pipe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot Paint

Mine is an 03 retro and does anyone know of an additive or anything that could be done to prevent this from happening again after my painter fixes it. Also thanks guys for the replies all are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: My 1800C doesn't have this problem...

greenmachine! said:
Just a little poke at you Retro riders... :wink:
Yeah, but they can get chrome covers! :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts