Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed - pictures too. (new bars & cables)

Hi all. Before anyone suggests it, I have scoured through many posts/threads using the search function and I'm still not clear on what I need.

I recently bought CP Punisher bars to put on my 1300C. What I have read is leading me to believe that:

1. you can use stock cables but they will be tight at full lock
2. you can use R/S cables because they are about 2" longer
3. you can take this opportunity to get stainless/braided cables ( I really like the looks of the Magnum Sterling Chromite ones like MR VTX has :thumbup:)
4. anything else I am missing?

I may get flogged for this also, but I really don't care about internal wiring on the bars. I don't notice the wire bundle much now. If I'm not doing it for the looks is it really worth the time/effort to wire them just because I can?

Thanks in advance for any help:!:

jeni

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
J.A.Y. -

How tall and how much pull-back do your CP Punisher bars have??? There are several different heights and pull-backs available.

I've installed Burley 1¼" T-bars with 8" rise and 8" pull-back and have gotten my stock cables, brake line and wiring harness to work (although funky-looking) for the last six months without any problems. I just haven't had a clear spot in my shop to get my own bikes worked on other than oil changes !!! I have everything sitting there, ready to go.

The easiest method that I use is to temporarily remove your OEM bars without disconnecting anything and lay them on your (protected) gas tank. Put the Punishers in place - lightly bolted up. Use masonry string to determine where you want your cables and brake line to run and use masking tape to hold it in place. When you're satisfied that you've got everything where it needs to be and that you have the proper slack to compensate for lock-to-lock steering turns and suspension travel, remove the twine one piece at a time and measure how long they are and record those measurements. Then you can order the exact length or ones that are close enough to do what you want.

And - YES - Please run your wiring internally. It will reward you with a very finished-looking job

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi all. Before anyone suggests it, I have scoured through many posts/threads using the search function and I'm still not clear on what I need.

I recently bought CP Punisher bars to put on my 1300C. What I have read is leading me to believe that:

1. you can use stock cables but they will be tight at full lock
2. you can use R/S cables because they are about 2" longer
3. you can take this opportunity to get stainless/braided cables ( I really like the looks of the Magnum Sterling Chromite ones like MR VTX has :thumbup:)
4. anything else I am missing?

I may get flogged for this also, but I really don't care about internal wiring on the bars. I don't notice the wire bundle much now. If I'm not doing it for the looks is it really worth the time/effort to wire them just because I can?

Thanks in advance for any help:!:

jeni
Just order all three(clutch & two throttle) Retro cables from HDL,they are cheap & will fit like they were made for your Punishers.................The only thing I didn't like was the brake hose was short ,but still useable...............I really need to change it out but hate to bleed the brakes....................:grin: Rod

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help Joe. Sound like a familiar problem with any kind of service field. You end up handling everyone else's problems while your own sit on the back burner indefinitely.

I should have mentioned in my original post that these bars have the 8" rise and 13" pullback. We did have the stock bars off and laying on the tank and the Punishers loosely bolted on the night they came in but that was just to check to make sure they would "fit" me the way I wanted. I wish I had asked about this earlier because your tip about using string makes good sense.

Another question - I remember reading somewhere about the bar ends where they are narrow being too long (on these bars) and some people cutting them off. Does anyone else remember this? Can't you just carefully space things when you're putting the mirrors, controls grips, etc. back on???

I had a feeling that would be the answer about the wiring. ;) But I'm still open to opposing viewpoints.

Again, thanks.

jeni

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RODS X, Thaks for the reply.

So you think I should go ahead and get longer brake line too? How short was it using stock? (do you have any pics?) Thanks.

jeni

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks for the help Joe. Sound like a familiar problem with any kind of service field. You end up handling everyone else's problems while your own sit on the back burner indefinitely... Another question - I remember reading somewhere about the bar ends where they are narrow being too long (on these bars) and some people cutting them off. Does anyone else remember this? Can't you just carefully space things when you're putting the mirrors, controls grips, etc. back on???... Again, thanks.

jeni
Jeni -

WOW !!! 13" of pull-back is a lot !!! Standard is usually 4"-6" and at 8" to 12" of pull-back you're getting into the arena of special length cables. I had to use H-D braided cables to get the lengths that I needed without special ordering custom-length cables. Since I'm changing over to H-D switch housings and switches, brake master cylinder, clutch perch and levers, it was relatively easy to get what I wanted at very reasonable prices.

Some manufacturers allow extra length on "fat bars" to accommodate the variety of controls and grips that are available. Usually the control housings will be slid all the way up to the point where the bars go from fat to the standard 1" "handle" area.

Best bet is to slide the switch housings up onto the bar ends, take your left grip and measure how far up it will need to go to slip up against the switch housing. Mark the bar end using a marker or tape - you may have as much as 2"-3" of excess bar ends to remove. A slight variation will get you the throttle side on the bars measured correctly, too.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
RODS X, Thaks for the reply.

So you think I should go ahead and get longer brake line too? How short was it using stock? (do you have any pics?) Thanks.

jeni
I don't have a pic of the brake line,I'll try to snap you one before the weekend.Here is an old pic of the retro cables on the Punishers............Look like they were made for them........Also on the cutting off of the bars,I did have a spacing problem with the right side being too long so I cut enough off to make it look proper.I would say it was due to being early production as I was most likely the first one on this board to receive & install these...................:D Rod

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

I haven't checked yet to see if the bar ends are too long but I'm hoping they won't have to be cut.

I guess I should have asked for people who have the Punisher bars with and without internal wiring to post pics so I could decide if I really want to mess with that. It may not be too late...

Hey! Can everyone with CP Punisher bars post pics of them on your bikes? Thanks!

jeni

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Rod!

That doesn't look too short. Stll thinking of changing it?

BTW - I changed the thread title to maybe get more pictures of these bars with and without internal wiring.

jeni

1 - 10 of 10 Posts