Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully somebody can help me with a fault in fuel mixture of my VTX.

I bought a 2006 VTX1300R that was without using approx by 8 months and had installed cobra pipes.
Before to begin to use disarmed the carburetor and made a good cleaning, also cleaned the fuel tank and when disarming the PETCOCK found the SCREEN bad so decided eliminated it and intalled the PETCOCK without the SCREEN.

The motorcycle worked very well by 50 Miles and soon it began to spoil the spark plugs (no generate spark), I disarmed to watch and were of black color, as if there was a rich mixture (excess of fuel), I installed the 4 spark plugs news but always the spark plugs were black.

I am safe those spark plugs failed to work the motorcycle with excess of fuel in the mixture.
I began to review petcock in case the fuel went through by vacuum direct to manifold but here is all correct.
Disarmed the carburetor and I found a Dynojet kit installed and thought that was the problem, then I regulated to Air Screw to 2 1/2 and Needle Jet I put the wedge in the position the more above possible so that needle jet lowers more and enters less fuel but continuous fault, always the spark plugs black.

Then decided to eliminate kit dynojet and to return to all original Keihin. I bought in original Needle jet Set, Air Screw, Jet Main (#195) and Jet Slow, installed all the original in the carburetor but the fault continues, Also I tested with MAIN JETS of 190, 185 and the 180 and always spark plugs black (excess fuel in mixture).

I think the previous owner perforated something inside of the carburetor or perhaps moved some thing and I to know Although I reviewed all carburetor and apparently all OK. I thought about buying a new carburetor but, I don´t want to spend as much money in buying a new one if I am not safe if that is the fault, Perhaps there is something to move or to modify and I do not know it.
Meaby to eliminate Screnn of Petcock is a problem and this causes that bad mixture.

Please if somebody knows what could be the problem or would be necessary to move some other thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You should check the choke to make sure it isn't pulled out any. Have heard that they can come loose from the carb and then the cable ends up pulling the choke (fuel enrichener) which will fatten up your mix possibly without knowing it. Sounds like the previous owner installed a jet kit, are there any mods to the air/intake side of your bike? Usually you won't need anything other than stock for aftermarket exhaust, and unless the air side has been changed there should be no real need for a jet kit installed.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
First thing put the screen back in the petcock. It's there for a reason and if something gets in there you will plug things up.
If you put everything back to normal did you set the A/F to 2 1/2 turns out.
Are you using the choke to start it. If so that is why the plugs are looking black an fouling them. Add some SeaFoam to the gas to help clean an lacquer build up that may be in the carb from setting.

Donut

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I was testing and I obtained the spark plugs of normal color but I had to eliminate the connection of vacuum tube has been going for the carburetor. (Almost as to solve the problem but I do not believe that he is correct to eliminate that connection).

Eliminating that connection the motorcycle goes well but when I decelerate it has small explodes in the exhaust pipe.

I am publishing a diagram where show the vacuum tubes in my VTX and a second diagram how I did now for not more black spark plugs and to obtain normal color.

I do not know if the form as the vacuum tubes are installed is the correct, meaby the previous owner moved something there, I found everything like in diagram 1.

I verified the diaphragm of the carburetor and it´s OK, isn´t deteriorated, but I am not safe if the measurement is the correct one. (I add Image too)

I add a image of spark plug black (with connection vacuum tube to diaphragm of carburetor) and the final image are the spark Plug normal color (without connection to diaphragm of carburetor)

What function has the diaphragm in the carburetor?

It can be that inside of the carburetor he is something bad?

Hopefully with these images they can continue helping to me.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one doubts where I create could be the solution...:yikes:

Is correct the piece of the CHOKE STUCK or it needs a part in the end?

Somebody has an image of choke stuck to compare it with mine?

It tries to look for in the Web and I did not manage to find and the OEM images are not clear.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Today I was testing and I obtained the spark plugs of normal color but I had to eliminate the connection of vacuum tube has been going for the carburetor. (Almost as to solve the problem but I do not believe that he is correct to eliminate that connection).

Eliminating that connection the motorcycle goes well but when I decelerate it has small explodes in the exhaust pipe.

I am publishing a diagram where show the vacuum tubes in my VTX and a second diagram how I did now for not more black spark plugs and to obtain normal color.

I do not know if the form as the vacuum tubes are installed is the correct, meaby the previous owner moved something there, I found everything like in diagram 1.

I verified the diaphragm of the carburetor and it´s OK, isn´t deteriorated, but I am not safe if the measurement is the correct one. (I add Image too)

I add a image of spark plug black (with connection vacuum tube to diaphragm of carburetor) and the final image are the spark Plug normal color (without connection to diaphragm of carburetor)

What function has the diaphragm in the carburetor?

It can be that inside of the carburetor he is something bad?

Hopefully with these images they can continue helping to me.

Thanks
I have one doubts where I create could be the solution...:yikes:

Is correct the piece of the CHOKE STUCK or it needs a part in the end?

Somebody has an image of choke stuck to compare it with mine?

It tries to look for in the Web and I did not manage to find and the OEM images are not clear.

Thanks
:yikes: Put everything back the way you found it!! Your vacuum lines (as per your diagram) were installed correctly! The vacuum line that goes to your carburetor is actually for the ACV (Air Cutoff Valve) which is the diaphram you speak of. The ACV allows the pilot jet to flow more fuel upon decel to prevent an excessively lean condition. This is why you've now created a popping issue.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Your enricher assembly looks ok. Put it back together.

As others have stated, be carefull of how you use the enricher... If you do not use it properly you CAN foul your plugs. Your plugs look fine at this point so just ride it for a while and check at your next LOF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your enricher assembly looks ok. Put it back together.

As others have stated, be carefull of how you use the enricher... If you do not use it properly you CAN foul your plugs. Your plugs look fine at this point so just ride it for a while and check at your next LOF.
Yes, I installed the enricher back together and in the morning didn´t need use It to star the engine....

Today I used by 130 miles My Motorcycle with Air cut Valve disconnected to vacuum system (watch picture 1) and everything without problems.
When finished riding by the route I checked the spark plugs and the color is OK (watch picture 2) so, apparently the mixture is Ok and the spark plugs were not failed.

I am using spark plugs 8 are colder than the 6, but in my city (Lima - Peru) the temperature under and bought by ebay NGK IRIDIUM 6, I will see how works with those Iridium.

Tomorrow I will use 200 miles more, if all ok with the spark plugs and the engine don´t fail, I will always disconnect the "air cut valve" and of that form already I solved the problem.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I am using spark plugs 8 are colder than the 6, but in my city (Lima - Peru) the temperature under
You should be running the NGK DCPR6E or denso equivalent. It doesn't have anything to do with the temperature of your city.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yes, I installed the enricher back together and in the morning didn´t need use It to star the engine....

Today I used by 130 miles My Motorcycle with Air cut Valve disconnected to vacuum system (watch picture 1) and everything without problems.
When finished riding by the route I checked the spark plugs and the color is OK (watch picture 2) so, apparently the mixture is Ok and the spark plugs were not failed.

I am using spark plugs 8 are colder than the 6, but in my city (Lima - Peru) the temperature under and bought by ebay NGK IRIDIUM 6, I will see how works with those Iridium.

Tomorrow I will use 200 miles more, if all ok with the spark plugs and the engine don´t fail, I will always disconnect the "air cut valve" and of that form already I solved the problem.

Thanks
I'm slightly lost in translation... I still recommend that you hook that ACV back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello:

Today I used by 100 miles more with disconnected ACV (carburetor Air Cut Valve) and the engine worked very good, the spark plugs were of normal color as yesterday (it mixes balanced), slow motion OK, aceleration Ok and "deceleration Ok too".

In other post said:
"the acv valve is a valve on the front side of the carb. it is used to richen fuel mixture when decellerating wich helps prevent decel popping. intake vaccuum is used to control the valve. when you decel intake vaccuum increases wich operates the valve."

In my case, The ACV is uncontrolled and always enriching the mixture...

I am certainly when disconnecting ACV, to try by 200 miles and without problems, already I solved the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Hello:

Today I used by 100 miles more with disconnected ACV (carburetor Air Cut Valve) and the engine worked very good, the spark plugs were of normal color as yesterday (it mixes balanced), slow motion OK, aceleration Ok and "deceleration Ok too".

In other post said:
"the acv valve is a valve on the front side of the carb. it is used to richen fuel mixture when decellerating wich helps prevent decel popping. intake vaccuum is used to control the valve. when you decel intake vaccuum increases wich operates the valve."

In my case, The ACV is uncontrolled and always enriching the mixture...

I am certainly when disconnecting ACV, to try by 200 miles and without problems, already I solved the problem.

Thanks
thanks for the quote

here is a link to dlp for the carb parts http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...y=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2006&fveh=12172

if you acv is malfunctioning parts 14 and 15 should fix it

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUESTION

As of reading all that was posted,I was wondering how many miles are on

the bike?

My next question is WHAT does the AIR FILTER LOOK LIKE ?????

If it is dirty w....ell , guess what no it can't be,fouled plugs.

have a nice day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts