Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the best way to take off old grips?

·
Registered
877 Posts
some use WD40 spray under the grips let sit to loosen glue.you air to blow under the grip and some just cut them off.

·
Old Goat
26,218 Posts
It would be nice if you could save the stockers as sometimes guys need them, and the end caps can be used for the key mod. good luck

1. Unscrewing the chrome/plastic end cap by turning counter-clockwise (looking
at the end of handle bar).
2. With an ice-pick, 16d nail, Phillips head screw driver or similar probe, insert
between rubber & white plastic to separate.
3. With the probe still in place, squirt some WD40 into the opening through the
small red tube.
4. Repeat #2 & #3 at additional locations around the grip.
5. Wiggle the probe at the various locations until they join and the probe can be
rotated all the way around the glue joint.
6. Slide the rubber grip & chrome/plastic trim ring off the white plastic tube.

Alternative Removal Method: If compressed air is available substitute #3 & #4
above to read (3) With probe in place blow air into opening at glue joint. (4) Move
probe as necessary & repeat above at new locations

The cap on the clutch side pops off, then repeat the above steps

·
Registered
85 Posts
+ 1 on tennx post. After you break it free with the ice pick or nail the compressed air works great. Blow the air in while you pull it off and it will come off easy.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyonr

thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best way to take off old grips?
On my exAero 750 and ex-1800C, I sliced the things off. just took a razor blade and sliced length-wise down the middle. The left bar is directly under the grip while the throttle side has a plastic sleeve under it.

You slice it, peel it off, and pop off the little end piece.

I don't see the logic of trying to preserve the original grips, but then again I wasn't going to ever reinstlal them, so slicing was fast and easy.

·
Old Goat
26,218 Posts
On my exAero 750 and ex-1800C, I sliced the things off. just took a razor blade and sliced length-wise down the middle. The left bar is directly under the grip while the throttle side has a plastic sleeve under it.

You slice it, peel it off, and pop off the little end piece.

I don't see the logic of trying to preserve the original grips, but then again I wasn't going to ever reinstlal them, so slicing was fast and easy.
I can appreciate the ease that comes with slicing them off, I sliced mine off, but having read on here that some like to keep the stockers and if for some reason one was damaged we could pay it forward with a saved stocker. just my.02 have a good one

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I got 4 kids to eat 2 Popsicles each and forced the sticks under the grips.
I sprayed wd40 under the grip with a straw thing.

I did it with the bars off. I broke several sticks and had to eat several Popsicles but the grips are on my baron bars in my picture.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost rider
I am wanting to change my grips. can anyone tell me the best way to get the old one off?

If you have an air compressor just use a air blower under the grip, I did and it ballooned a little and slid right off

G

·
Chemtool works great to disolve and soften the glue and the grip slides right off, with no oily residue left on the bar to clean. Just make sure that you DO NOT get that Chemtool on the paint or plastic!!!:yikes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts