Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VTX 1300 has been sitting in the garage since the first of November.
Full of gas with fuel stabilizer and seafoam in it.
I’m used to how the VTX is when cold and it smooths out fairly quickly.
Today I took it out and it was running really really rough. I had used the choke because it had been sitting for so long. It backfired a lot when I tried to get going from a stop and I could smell the gas. It took about 6 miles for it to start to smooth out.
When I got home I checked the spark plugs and they were really black (fouled). I cleaned them and check the gap and put them back in. This took about 30 minutes.
I went for a short ride and all seemed right with the VTX world.
I let it sit for 3 hours and then started it without using the choke and it started fine and idled good so I decided to go for a ride.
Again, it ran really really rough and sputtered and spurted but didn’t backfire.
It took about 2 miles for it to smooth out so I rode for 20 miles and it ran like it should.
I’m at a loss trying to know why it’s doing this because the bike ran great when I put it away for the winter.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with the simple first...I would change out the gas....others will be along...good luck
I considered the gas but then when I ran so good once it warmed up, I figured the gas must be ok or it would be rough all the time.
Unfortunately I’m not mechanically included so have to rely on others to educate me :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my original post I forgot to mention that my wife told me that when I took off there was a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
How much fuel stabilizer and seafoam did you put in??
I suspect an excessive amount was used and it did not burn well until engine warmed up.
Usually a few ounces per gallon...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much fuel stabilizer and seafoam did you put in??
I suspect an excessive amount was used and it did not burn well until engine warmed up.
Usually a few ounces per gallon...
funny that you came along. I was just about to message you because you usually seem to come up with the right answers.
And I believe you’ve done it again. I put a full can of seafoam in it when I put it away for the winter.
I never dreamed that it would have this effect but based on you saying that it won’t burn well until the engine is warmed up makes perfect sense based on what the bike is doing.
Should I just take it out and burn off the tank of fuel on a good ride or will I have to drain the tank????????
Thanks for your help as always.

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
One can of seafoam per 16 gallons...
Run it out, add gas when you run down a gallon of so to dilute the mixture, or. siphon some out, add gas.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
now i am inspired to go run my bike for awhile since i haven't started in 16 days, and i parked it with a 1/3 tank.

While my back is slowly getting better i dont think i am ready to ride yet, but i would love to fill it up. At least it's low humidity here. As i get older i worry more i find, about screwing things up..like the gas tank rusting or the carb gumming up etc. it may be another 3 weeks b4 i do any riding. :oops:

Maybe i'll get a gas can and drive to get gas for it... hmmmm

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry that you can’t ride yet VTXArizona.
I’ll be thinking of you this morning during my 150 mile ride. :) :)
Riding the fuel out of the tank sounds much much more desirable to me than draining the tank.
Thanks to everyone for your input. It’s greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
now i am inspired to go run my bike for awhile since i haven't started in 16 days, and i parked it with a 1/3 tank.

While my back is slowly getting better i dont think i am ready to ride yet, but i would love to fill it up. At least it's low humidity here. As i get older i worry more i find, about screwing things up..like the gas tank rusting or the carb gumming up etc. it may be another 3 weeks b4 i do any riding. :oops:

Maybe i'll get a gas can and drive to get gas for it... hmmmm
Wanted to ask you guys.... If you were going to park your bike for 5 weeks should you turn off the fuel petock and run it out of gas to empty the carb??? Or not?????

Come on guys, give me all your opinions, i'm feeling guilty for letting my bike sit and rot while my back heals!!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wanted to ask you guys.... If you were going to park your bike for 5 weeks should you turn off the fuel petock and run it out of gas to empty the carb??? Or not?????

Come on guys, give me all your opinions, i'm feeling guilty for letting my bike sit and rot while my back heals!!
Thanks in advance.
bump

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks in advance.
I’m laughing here because I’m very possibly the person least qualified to answer your question.
Whatever...........I’ll answer anyway :) . I would just turn off the fuel. Fuel shouldn’t go bad in 5 weeks.
That said, if you add stabilizer or seafoam (or both), don’t overdo it. DON’T ASK how I know this lol :))

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, because it irritates me so much when people ask for help on the forum and then never give any follow-up, I wanted to give an update as to what’s going on.
I went out this morning for a ride. The tank was full of gas, seafoam and stabilizer as discussed earlier lol.
Anyway, I took it on the freeway and ran it at 75mph until I went on reserve. I then rode another 20 miles and filled the bike with gas.
When I got home the temperature here was 52F so I left the bike sitting outside for 3 hours to get it good and cool.
After the three hours I went out and started it without the choke. It started instantly. I let it idle for about 1 minute and rode about 2 miles, shifting early to see if there was any missing or chugging when I lugged the engine.
SHE PERFORMED LIKE A CHAMP.
Thanks to Hans&Feet for his valuable assistance as always and thanks to everyone who gave their input.
This just proves that at 70 years of age, you can still learn things. Now I hope I can remember what I learned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My VTX 1300 has been sitting in the garage since the first of November.
I’m used to how the VTX is when cold and it smooths out fairly quickly.
Today I took it out and it was running really really rough. I had used the choke because it had been sitting for so long. It backfired a lot when I tried to get going from a stop and I could smell the gas. It took about 6 miles for it to start to smooth out.
When I got home I checked the spark plugs and they were really black (fouled). I cleaned them and check the gap and put them back in. This took about 30 minutes.
I went for a short ride and all seemed right with the VTX world.
I let it sit for 3 hours and then started it without using the choke and it started fine and idled good so I decided to go for a ride.
Again, it ran really really rough and sputtered and spurted but didn’t backfire.
It took about 2 miles for it to smooth out so I rode for 20 miles and it ran like it should.
I’m at a loss trying to know why it’s doing this because the bike ran great when I put it away for the winter.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Greg
So it seems to be running rich. Carbs choke may be too choked, needs a lil gap for your area. If it is injector, may be mapped wrong, so do you have a fuel manager. I would change the plugs too. Use Techron injector cleaner, works great and on carbs too. Check air filter. I also we my filter with water to clean the inside of the engine. You have to research hydrogen generators on youtube to understand how moisture cleans, as steam, inside of engine. GL hope this helped

1 - 18 of 18 Posts