Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team,

I have a 1800C (02) and had to install new rear signal lights. All ran well for about a month but I noticed that on the left turn signal, when engaged it would go out and not blink. Sometimes, it would delay for 5 - 10 seconds and then start blinking. Then while driving the other day, the bike just died when coming to a stop light and will not start again. I looked at the fuses and my mini 10 has blown.

It will not do anything at the moment. When I put a new mini 10 in there, you hear the fuel injection start off but it will immediately blow the fuse. I take it that the ground is bad somewhere.

Any ideas on the trouble shooting? I want to fix this tonight hopefully...thanks everyone...

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
Maybe you rubbed a power wire thru on something causing it to short to ground :dontknow: Gonna take some good ol fashioned troubleshooting with a DVOM

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hey team,

I have a 1800C (02) and had to install new rear signal lights. All ran well for about a month but I noticed that on the left turn signal, when engaged it would go out and not blink. Sometimes, it would delay for 5 - 10 seconds and then start blinking. Then while driving the other day, the bike just died when coming to a stop light and will not start again. I looked at the fuses and my mini 10 has blown.

It will not do anything at the moment. When I put a new mini 10 in there, you hear the fuel injection start off but it will immediately blow the fuse. I take it that the ground is bad somewhere.

Any ideas on the trouble shooting? I want to fix this tonight hopefully...thanks everyone...
Since your most recent work was done in the area of the rear fender, I would remove the right side cover and unplug everything going through the hole in the fender to the rear of the bike. Try a new fuse. The cover on your fuse box should tell you what the fuse that's blowing feeds. That would help the troubleshooters on this forum.
IF the wiring has never been modified I don't see a connection between the turn signal indicators and the circuit that feeds the engine management systems, including the fuel pump. This sounds like it's going to be a good one.
Open the headlight bucket and inspect all the plug connectors and wiring for anything unusual. If the two problems are somehow related, that's one of the places both circuits are in close proximity.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Turn signal blinking issues, seems to be more common in the cooler months. Spray some WD-40 or similar into the switch. Seems the grease/dirt is causing to go to a high resistance state. Spray and flip the switch on/off.

10 A Fuse blowing... Fuse D Ignition/Starter fuse White/Black wire feeds #1 Kill switch, #2 feeds Bank angle sensor, #3 goes to Rectifier/Regulator.

Put the Engine Stop switch in the Stop/not running position. Turn on IGN switch, does the fuse blow?
If the fuse blows, trace W/Bl with to above components or up-plug them.

If fuse does not blow, operate the Stop switch to Run. The Stop engine relay is energized. If the fuse blows check the wiring to the relay or unplug the relay.
Handlebar wiring is Black/White to 9P Red connector block in the headlight bucket. From the Red connector block it is a Black wire to the Stop relay.

Let us know what you find..
A circuit diagram:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800 stuff/1800fuse-switches.png

1 - 4 of 4 Posts