Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I SET MY VALVES AT MY 8K MILE SERVICE TO .015 INTAKE AND .030 EXHAUST. I TEST RODE MY BIKE AND I COULD REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE. IT RAN GREAT! MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THE TICKING NOISE I HAVE NOW. I KNOW IT IS ON THE VALVE SETTING I JUST DONE.

MY QUESTION IS TO YOU WHO HAVE SET YOUR OWN VALVES IS DID YOU SET YOURS TO.015 AND .030 LIKE THE BOOK SAYS, OR DID YOU SET THEM A LITTLE TIGHTER. ALSO WILL THIS HURT TO RUN MY BIKE LIKE THIS?? THE MECHANICS AT WORK SAID IT WOULD BE ALRIGHT, BUT I DONT WANT TO HURT MY ENGINE.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR INPUT ON THIS!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE, PARTSMAN.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
PARTSMAN said:
I SET MY VALVES AT MY 8K MILE SERVICE TO .015 INTAKE AND .030 EXHAUST.
Specs for the clearances are:

Intake - 0.006 ± 0.001 in
Exhaust - 0.012 ± 0.001 in

PS- ALL CAPS is considered yelling :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Poison is correct. You used metric settings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
PARTSMAN said:
I SET MY VALVES AT MY 8K MILE SERVICE TO .015 INTAKE AND .030 EXHAUST.
Specs for the clearances are:

Intake - 0.006 ± 0.001 in
Exhaust - 0.012 ± 0.001 in

PS- ALL CAPS is considered yelling :wink:
Both are correct. I just adjusted mine and there is no ticking. But I took great pains to ensure I had the correct amount of drag on the feeler gauge while adjusting. This comes from years of valve adjustments to know what is just the right amount of drag. Sometimes it is hard to get just right. It won't hurt anything if it ticks a little, in fact if you have a choice it is better a little loose than to tight, which will burn valves.
You can adjust your valves and have no noise but it takes a lot of practice to know the right feel on the feeler gauge.
You should be ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts