Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:tools:I was told by the dealer today that at 24,000 miles my 1800 would more than likely need a valve adjustment and that it would cost 500 bucks. The service tech told me that if i heard the valves ticking I would more thna likly need it. I do not hear the valves ticking and my X feels the same as when I got it 2 years ago with 0 miles. What do you guys think is the price high for the adjustment and is it really neccesary?

·
Registered
998 Posts
1. Yes you need your valves adjusted.

2. You should be able to hear your valves tapping.

3.500 bucks is tooooo much.

4. Take it somewhere else it sounds like that tech don't know what he's talkin' bout.

5. Do it yourself and save some money for chrome. It's not hard at all, go to Bareasschoppers.com for all the info on how to do it.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Where the heck do you live?? WOW $500 bucks!!!!!! bring it here I'll do it for no where near that.

It would help to update your personal information. You never know if someone who lives close by could give you a hand.

$500...:shock::shock:

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 if you can't hear them tapping,there too tight,then you have to worry. 500.00 is too much,do it yourself in a few hours.

·
Registered
51 Posts
500.00 is too much for sure, I just did mine on my 2004N and it was no Sunday at the beach but I got through it. I had a hard time finding a 4mm wrench that was longer then 3”s and getting a gage in the rear exhaust was absolutely the worst part. I read every post that I could find before I started and while I was in there I did the pair removal as well using the suggested block-off plates. Just follow the instructions! http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ Good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
1. Yes you need your valves adjusted.

2. You should be able to hear your valves tapping.

3.500 bucks is tooooo much.

4. Take it somewhere else it sounds like that tech don't know what he's talkin' bout.

5. Do it yourself and save some money for chrome. It's not hard at all, go to Bareasschoppers.com for all the info on how to do it.
x2 to everything he said. Our bikes should sound like pissed off sewing machines. Only way I can describe it. Its bad when you can't hear the valves. The valves in these engines have a tendency to get tighter instead of looser.
Find another shop or go to bareass's site and do it yourself. I wouldnt pay more than maybe $150-200 to have this done. good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had my valves checked twice in the 22K I have on the bike. Neither time did the valves need adjustment. Both times it cost my $350. I had the dealer so it only for warranty purposes. If I check them again I do it myself. Couple days ago I help a buddy check the valves on his Shadow. They were perfect and they had never been done in 38K. Your bike might not need the valves adjusted, but the dealer definately needs the $500.

·
Registered
315 Posts
500...........Is that dollars you are talking about? There's tons of info here to do that if you have any ability to do mechanical things. Check www.bareasschoppers.com for many detailed procedures to do many things on the VTX and with pictures too. If you can't do it I'd be willing to bet there are others right where you live that ride VTX's that could help you and be glad to help do it and even if you paid something it sure wouldn't be anywhere close to $500. The only thing I could think of is, if you do that, I'd check on their track record, ie: reputation, experience for knowing what they are doing unless you know that or them personally. It would be a cold day in hell when I'd give $500 to get my valves adjusted. It's not that bad of a job if you have a little mechanical ability and good instructions to follow.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
...Couple days ago I help a buddy check the valves on his Shadow. They were perfect and they had never been done in 38K.
What year and model Shadow? I thought the Shadow engines used hydraulic adjusters, meaning, no check or adjustments are necessary?

·
Registered
358 Posts
On my Shadow 1100, I had to get hydraulic feeler gages and it still didn't need adjusted. NXed.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
315 Posts
On my Shadow 1100, I had to get hydraulic feeler gages and it still didn't need adjusted. NXed.....:popcorn:
I have a set of those Ed....sell 'em for $500....like new...never been used.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What year and model Shadow? I thought the Shadow engines used hydraulic adjusters, meaning, no check or adjustments are necessary?
Just called on the Shadow........2002 Shadow 750.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The 1100 Shadows have hydraulic lifters; the 750s have mechanical lifters. Believe me, you'd rather adjust the valves on the VTX than on the 750 Shadow.

Every engine is different. Some will tell you that they've gone twelve million miles without a valve adjustment and everything's perfect, so you're wasting your money on adjustments. The fact that (they think) their bike never needs a valve adjustment doesn't mean that yours doesn't. It's a mechanical device subjected to wear from heat, friction, expansion & contraction, reciprocating masses, and inertial forces. You figure it out. It's not black magic.

I check mine every 8-10 thousand miles. Sometimes I adjust one or more. Sometimes they are all still within spec. I have done (literally) hundreds of valve adjustment checks on various VTXs. The overwhelming majority of them needed one or more valves adjusted. And anybody who tells you he/she can check the adjustment by listening to the bike run is someone you should make it a point NOT to ask for mechanical advice.

Once you are comfortable with the procedure a valve adjustment takes between an hour and a half and two hours. If two hours labor at your dealership comes to $500, I might be willing to relocate and go to work there, just doing valve adjustments. I could do five a day no problem and definitely make more money than I make now, without all the lawsuits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Valve adjustment

Iwanted to thank all of you for the great advise I found aplace that took cre of the adjustment for $ 135.00. and the bike feels like it is running great it even feels like it has alittle more power.
Thanls again everone.:bowdown:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts