Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:
I've decided it is time for a new bike.
I'm making some changes and gonna clear out some bikes.
I'm going to sell the Kawasaki Vulcan that hasn't been ridden since purchase. (except to my house about 4 miles) And all the NIB accessories I bought for it. (Scootworks lowering kit, OEM chrome parts, etc)

I've also decided to sell my VTX and clean out all the old parts that I've got boxed from it.
I'm going to keep my old 1984 Interceptor and do a complete restore on it including having Bryan at BD's (or maybe someone else) do a freshen up or complete repaint to the exact original candy red/candy blue/white paint scheme. Then I will let Barber's motorsports put it back into their museum.

Where I am going:

I plan on buying a new Victory Vision or RoadGlide Ultra. I like the Cross country Tour too but right now the Vision or Roadglide seem to be the better touring machines. I'm wanting good wind management for rider and especially passenger.

I am leaning VERY heavily towards the Ness versions of the Victorys but may just buy the regular Vision Tour and customize it myself.

I have found a brand new 2009 Arlen Ness Vision about 2 hours away and it is priced cheaply. The problem is that I don''t have confirmation that it has the tour pack on it and I will not buy it to have to spend more to add it. I like the black color of the 2009. Other wise I like the orange of the 2012 Visions over the Red of the 2013 model.
I've located several RoadGlide Ultras in the black and one in the red.
I'm wanting comfort and most of all RELIABILITY. I plan on putting a bunch of miles on it and my X just a days ride on the X with my wife was enough to convince me that if she is to go with me, it won't be on the X.

The RGU is actually cheaper than the Ness Vision but I have found several standard 2012 visions for less than $18.5k.

I plan on renting both the Roadglide and the Vision before purchase but wanted to hear from some of the Vic owners and RoadGlide owners honest thoughts about their machines. I want honest good, bad and ugly. For example LArry had the X, then the HD Ultra and now the Cross Country. He can probably give some good feedback.

I know the HD network is much better and that is a plus for the RoadGlide.

Post away and please no flame wars.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wrote something stupid here and apologized for it later.

Just had to erase it here, even though I know it will still show up where others quoted me before chewing me out.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sounds like somebody's trying to show the rest of us how difficult life is in the "Which $18k bike shall I buy this time" income level. Kind of like Romney making $10k bets at a fund raising event.

I know, I know. Let them eat cake!
Seriously?! The first post and that's what you put?!! What a jackazz....

Sorry about that Dr Radar...Are you just not into the GW? One flaw (in my mind) the HD & Vics have is not being liquid cooled. Too damn hot in the summer. Especially as you live in Alabama. I do like the look of the CC best of all of those. Good luck choosing!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I ran into a similar dilemma earlier this year, but my choices were a bit different: Street Glide vs Road Glide vs Cross Country.

In the end it was down to the Road Glide vs Cross Country. I loved the XC more, but hated the fact they wanted Harley prices with 2-3 years of old leftover new models backed up in warehouses all over the country. When Honda had 2-3 years worth of leftover inventory, they heavily discounted the bikes. Victory offers very little incentive to buy their old 'new' bikes. Hoping someday for the company to realize they are not Harley and bring the prices down to match their sales market.

I bought a car instead. Now I'm hoping that giving Honda another year they will release a bagger, preferably as close to the VT1300 Slammer as possible 8)

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry about that Dr Radar...Are you just not into the GW? One flaw (in my mind) the HD & Vics have is not being liquid cooled. Too damn hot in the summer. Especially as you live in Alabama. I do like the look of the CC best of all of those. Good luck choosing!
:agree: on the first line.

I want to stay in the V-Twin world for a while longer. I figured there are several here who have moved to the Vision and some of them go as far back as 2008 if I remember corrrectly.
I love my X and don't have to have the HD "Status". Been there done that. I'm just wanting to get opinions "off the street". ( I like most of the guys on this particular street)
I want to keep the X but I've decided to clean out and not be such a pack rat. (The wife is a heavy influence)
This is sort of my "bucket list" type thing.
Something draws me towards the Vision but the RGU has been my desktop background even before the X was bought. Just the model years and color changing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently sold my 1300 and bought a 12 cross roads. I did the demo tour truck deal and got to ride the xr, cc, and cct. For me, I really wanted to like the cc, but the buffeting was just too much with the short shield. The cct had a tall shield on it and there was no buffeting but I just didn't like looking through the windshield. This might not be any issue for you, just something I noticed. As far as overall impression of the new vic, I like it a lot. Great power, decent mileage, 40-42Mpg. If you can, see if the demo tour is anywhere close to you. If you demo a bike, there is an additional $1000 coupon to use towards a new bike. Can't really comment on the RG, but when I was looking at new bikes, the main thing that scared me about the harley fl models was the electronic throttle. No throttle cables, just a little motor to open the throttle.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I couldn't begin to tell you about any of these bike. I'm just a poor white boy. Lol. But I am friends a lead tach at one of the distant harley shops and the throttle is a problem on some of their models. Nothing major but it has left several travelers stranded waiting on a tow. Now they were fixed and on their way quickly but it has to be a point to look at. I like all of the bikes you are considering. But ultimately test ride all of them and let your butt and back make the choice. Good luck in your purchase and I hope you add up the miles safely.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tough spot to be in... lol... however, I must agree with the "air-cooled" post, she'll be awfully hot during the
summer months... few years ago I just had to have a New Harley... spent $26,000 big ones dressing her
up with shinny stuff... but wow she was hot, hot, hot... (in more ways than one) kept her only two years and p
assed her along to someone else love...

No more air cooled engines for me....

But as to your choice... remember it is your hard earned money and exactly that, your choice... go with the
one that puts a smile on your face... after all, isn't that really why we do this?

Regards to you and yours,
Steve
Marathon, FL

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'll also be in the market for a couch and am leaning towards a GW though. I've put over 120K on 2 1300s in the last 5 years, so reliability and comfort are my 2 main concerns. And with that, I'm going to go with something liquid cooled. .02

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
If your over 5' 9" you'll probably be more comfortable on the Victory's. I when I was looking for bikes I rode a street glide with a trunk it was going to be 21k. Out of the gate I really liked it. The 103 had nice power, a great feeling clutch, the fit and finish was great, dealer was awesome first thing he did was ask if I've ridden one and what color I wanted to ride, rolled a bran new one off the floor for me to take out. The bad well I felt cramped on it and that was the killer for me, the rear end felt wishy washy in the corners, and the engine shake was insane at stoplights. But overall I liked the street glide much better then the RG (going into it I was really digging the RG)
Then the dealer pulled the RG out for me to ride, it was a RG ultra. I was on it 30 seconds and said to myself this bike just isn't for me. I didn't care for how far the faring felt away yet feeling cramped on it. 3 times my feet got stuck on the feet wind deflectors trying to shift, the 103 felt underpowered on this bike and the handling was much worse then on the SG. Also felt like I was getting blown around on the freeway more then on the SG I had just rode 20 minutes before hand. As for the bags I really hated how the lids open...

I sat on a vision but never rode one. I just didn't care for the feel of it and felt like the XC had more leg room (IMO you will have the most wind protection on the Vision over all the others listed). I love my XC on my test ride I thought to myself boy I could ride this bike all day long. My biggest complaint is I didn't like the clutch as much on the XC as I did the HD's. The ride is just as smooth but you can also throw this puppy down in a corner and it feels like home. The bags on the XC are much bigger then the vision or the HD's (did I tell you that you can fit a 20lb bag of ice in the bags with out splitting the bag up at all with room for your beer on top)(mini kegs fit in the bags too!), the trunk is huge! I've thrown in a 32lb bag of dog food with room to spare, 2 full face helmets no problem.

Best advice is go ride all of them and see what you like the best!

Oh and I'd look at 2011 or newer on the Vics they made over a 100 changes to the engine between the 2010 and 2011 bikes.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have a '09 Vision Tour and the ride and comfort is just better than the RGU which I rented for a week out west back in May. Better wind protection, less heat, it runs cooler because of the oil radiator and the ride is better. The HD really suffered and ran poorly in the Vegas heat and slow down because of an accident on 15 heading to Utah. 6th gear passing was pathetic where the Vision is no problem. The RGU handles nice and I liked the throttle by wire, the shifting was fine but finding neutral was a joke on both HD's (and my buddies Electra Glide Ultra). Both of the HD's were '12 models with 23k on the clock. We put 1900 miles on these bikes so this wasn't a one day rental to form an opinion with riding the interstates and twisties in the mountains. If I didn't own or had never owned a Vision I would have bought either one of these HD's. Good luck with the decision but please ride both and make the choice based on you're likes and dislikes. Like X'N said if over 5' 9 your going to be cramped. I'm 6'.

·
Old Goat
26,309 Posts
Well I cant help other than to wish you luck on your choice....I too wanted something different and I have the money , but Im cheep...I chose instead to go with a GL1500 and couldnt be happier ..(simple man)....:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
64,386 Posts
The Vision has TINY saddlebags and a little larger trunk. If you're going for a touring bike and you want lots of carrying capacity you want the Cross Country that boasts a leading 41 gallons of storage. I have the Ness Cross Country and added a trunk. Now the Ness Cross Country for 2013 comes with a trunk and is very sharp looking in Gold Diggers yellow.

The vision is a very nice ride and if you like the looks there's nothing out there like it. The Cross Country rides the same but has a little more

The noise, I find it no different from any other bike out there. The each make a manufacturer specific noise that some people whine about.

The Ultra Classic was a very nice ride too. A bonus is there are LOTS of aftermarket and add-ons from Harley that you can buy. Victory has a lot too, but nowhere near the HD amount.

I got at least 17,000 miles out of a set of tires on the Ultra. Harley and Dunlop worked together to make a new tire for their touring line d407&408. I had good tread left when I changed for new and these tires handled great in dry and wet and no cupping. Dunlop finally got a tire right. The Vic I don't know yet how well it wears out tires, but I have 6000 miles on mine now and they seem to be wearing OK so far.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
I will add to bigdog's post to say the HD's couldn't pull 6th gear if you were trying to pass where the victory's will ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts

Ditto!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm not really sure how Victory rides so I would be no good with my ideas there but as for the glide or Ultra I would go with the Ultra because you can get the quick connect for the trunk and go without the trunk for normal everyday riding and put it on when you need it. Change the windshield in about 5 mins to make it look a lot like the S.G. you can also get hidden ant. that install in the fairing.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
I'm not really sure how Victory rides so I would be no good with my ideas there but as for the glide or Ultra I would go with the Ultra because you can get the quick connect for the trunk and go without the trunk for normal everyday riding and put it on when you need it. Change the windshield in about 5 mins to make it look a lot like the S.G. you can also get hidden ant. that install in the fairing.
The XC trunk and bags are quick release as well.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This will be my bucket list bike.
The HDs all feel cramped to me.
The old '07 FXSTCS custom had forward control and my X which has a smaller motor and carb seems like it has just as much power and is less cramped.
The RGU isn't as cramped as the SG but is smaller compared to either of the Vic's.
Vic just came out with the Ness XCT in 2012.
There is an upgrade to the XC clutch that puts the Vision hydraulic clutch on it for about $300.

I didn't know about the Vic 1k cash for a test ride. That is something I'm going to ask about.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will rent each but this type of discussion helps me to keep a mental list of things to consider.

Keep it coming.

Sent from my secret laboratory using alien technology

·
Registered
170 Posts
The $1000 coupon is only available if you ride a bike at the demo tour. There a ton of incentives right now for 2012 and older vics.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts