Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between moving and getting married in the past two years, I have been kept so busy that I have only taken my bike out a couple times, neither of which was in the past year :shock: Not surprisingly after NOT winterizing the bike (I live in Chicago) and NOT riding it, it is having trouble starting. The bike is a VTX 1800 '02 Retro. I have two questions:

1. What would help to start it so I can either try to fix it or get it to a place to be serviced? I've recharged the battery and it tries to crank, but can't even turn over the engine. Does the battery just need to be replaced? Is oil gunking it up? Should I replace the oil first? New plugs? Help!

2. What should I do/replace to bring it back to good running condition.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
First off get a new battery then pull the tank and drain all the fuel out and replace adding Seafoam then it should fire right up. I would run a few tanks of Seafoam or Techron fuel enjector cleaner thru it. Plugs should be ok depending on how many miles you have on the OEM plugs.

Oil and filter should also be changed because it's been sitting for so long through heating and cooling seasons (weather) but that's has nothing to do with it not starting at this point.

You should be good to go but also check the tires for check cracks and if found replace them also.:thumbup: Oh and check tire pressure also before riding because they are most likely low.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel Pump does kick in each time I try to start. I can hear the engine trying to crank over while I hold in the start button, but after 8 or 9 attempts I can also hear that the attempt has less oomph.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Yea your battery is toast. Check the oil level before you try and start it. If its fine start then bike and get it up to operating temp and then change the oil not before.

I would also siphon out most of the gas and put as much fresh gas you can in there with some injector cleaner or seafoam.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
...snip...I would also siphon out most of the gas and put as much fresh gas you can in there with some injector cleaner or seafoam.

:agree: no need to pull the tank to do this unless you just want to. If you really want to get all the old gas out you can even remove the fuel line on the lower left of tank just in front of the seat. BE AWARE, you could get gas everywhere if your not quick getting something under the tank to catch that gas. Way easier to siphon out most and then do as X'N suggests.

Tejas

·
Registered
29 Posts
:agree: no need to pull the tank to do this unless you just want to. If you really want to get all the old gas out you can even remove the fuel line on the lower left of tank just in front of the seat. BE AWARE, you could get gas everywhere if your not quick getting something under the tank to catch that gas. Way easier to siphon out most and then do as X'N suggests.

Tejas
:agree: I use my thumb, a 1" ID hose, gas container, and a rag below the fuel line hose. Pull the hose slowly up until it is almost off, then slide your thumb to cover the hole as you quickly slide the hose off. Put one end of the 1" ID hose in the gas container. This should be a perfect fit on most gas containers--it will hold the hose up against your tank. Now slide the other end of the hose by your thumb and drain the tank. Easy and very little spill.

Note that there's always a little bit of gas left in the tank, so fabricate a plug and plug the hole before taking out the tank.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it's trying to crank, but not even turning over, your engine might be siezed. You should pull a spark plug out of each cylinder, remove the timing cover, and try turning the crankshaft with a wrench. Only turn it clockwise, though. If you can't turn it with a wrench, there's no way the starter motor is going to.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
I doubt if the engine is seized but it definitely sounds like you need a new battery. BTW maybe invest in a battery tender.
Pulling the spark plugs might not be a bad idea. Maybe a short squirt of engine oil to each cylinder and with the new battery cycle the engine a few revolutions.
Yes drain the tank and fill with new. I'd add a cleaner conditioner like Sea Foam or Tetron. After you get the bike up and running I'd be sure to change the oil. Check your air cleaner too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Thanks Everyone for all the suggestions. Looks like I know what I'm doing this Saturday :D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Jump on and have the wife push you down a hill, put into second gear and let out on the clutch, don't come home until the oil is good and hot.:grin: sb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts