Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got a 2006 VTX 1800 with only 600 miles from a guy who supposed never used the bike, when I frst started it, it emitted white followed by black smoke for 4 secs then the smoke went away (I think) , the next day I started it I heard noise (not exactly sure how to describe ) coming from the front of the engine, but when the engine warms up the noise seems to be less noticable. the other day I took it for a spin when I came back I could smell burning from the left side, it really smelled like fire, but there are no lights coming on on the dash. my dilemma is that I want to take it to someone who can do a check up however the Honda dealers here in Mass have horrible reputation with service talking from experience.

IF someone wants to help I am willing to put in the time/effort/tools because dealers burnt me before. OR
does anyone in Mass recommend a good honest service place that service Hondas ?
If you need to hear the noise I can take a short 30 sec video and post if this forum allows it

please help

thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does it sound like gravel in a coke can. On the lower right side by the brake pedal. If it does ur idle may be to low. The smoke could be a few things though. I'm sure spike or someone will chime in soon.
Anyway welcome!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It would help if you could tell us what mods, if any, have been done to the bike. Pipes , air intakes, PAIR valve removed, fuel manager et al.? Or is it bone stock. If it's been sitting for a while and only has 600 miles on it I'll guess it has then it may have some degradation issues in the gaskets,seals, vacume lines and the like. +1 on the idle might be too low. Have any of the fluids been changed since you've had possession?
The more information you can provide the more these very knowledgable people here can help you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts