Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this has nothing to do with our VTXs but I seem to be having a problem with my Apple computer that I have never had happen before, so if someone has any suggestions, I would very much appericate the help. :dontknow:

It seems that all I can get is a flashing picture of a folder with a question mark on it. Are there some steps or a process that I can do to get beyond this strange occurrance? :yikes:

To make this somewhat motorcycle related: It is so cold (high of about 42 degrees with a much lower chill factor) here in south Alabama that instead of going for a ride on my VTX, I have decided to try and solve this computer issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can send my way.:bowdown:

·
Registered
700 Posts
This error occurs when your mac cannot find the startup disk. Usually when this happens there is something wrong with the hard drive. You can try to insert your mac osx dvd and hold down C key during startup. When the apple menu appears choose disk utility, click the first aid tab, then click repair disk. If this does not fix the problem you will probably need to take it into the apple store for a hard drive replacement. How old is the computer? If it's under a year it will be covered under Apple's one year warranty.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Try restarting the computer and hold down the option key. It will show what is available to start from. The flashing question mark means it can' find your start up disk. If it does not show any options to start from try putting in your install disks and run a disk repair from the installation disk. Also just type this problem into your browser and you will get a lot of possible repairs for this. Look on Apples support site also for flashing folder or question mark.

Hope some of his helps. Online help for this is really pretty good.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mac guy could be right about the hard drive, but I have repaired several over the years with this problem without replacing the hard drive. Read the blogs an issues for this and there are other things beside dead hard drive that cause this issue.

This error occurs when your mac cannot find the startup disk. Usually when this happens there is something wrong with the hard drive. You can try to insert your mac osx dvd and hold down C key during startup. When the apple menu appears choose disk utility, click the first aid tab, then click repair disk. If this does not fix the problem you will probably need to take it into the apple store for a hard drive replacement. How old is the computer? If it's under a year it will be covered under Apple's one year warranty.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try everything mentioned and let you know if I achieve success. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try everything mentioned and let you know if I achieve success. You guys are the best!
I feel for you.
I can feel my way around this 2004 pc enough to stay out of trouble and really hate when it decides something is wrong without my participation.
Best thing I've ever done is run security real tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts