Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an idea for a radiator cover for the vtx. Im not capable or equipped to fabricate it. You guys got any suggestions? Near St. Louis Mo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
contact a fabricating shop if you are making it out of some kind of metal.
a body and paint shop may also be able to help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you want the part out of sheet metal or fiberglass?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doinok said:
Do you want the part out of sheet metal or fiberglass?
I was thinking of a sheet metal part , then chromed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do several experiments/mockups. Use cardboard and thin guage metal such as flashing to test out your idea. You could use a shop vise with the clamps extended with long metal plates to bend the metal. Tinker around until you got it right.....then present it to a metal shop.

just some ideas.....

Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you wanting a One Off? or something that maybe you want to go to production with?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doinok said:
Are you wanting a One Off? or something that maybe you want to go to production with?
A one off is all I want but I think if it could be produced they would sell well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can fabricate a one off by hand. If your going to go into production then you need tooling and depending on what your design is, I would say that it would be a stamped piece. Then you are talking money.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Go 2 a HVAC co. that has it's own shop & see if ya can pick up some light Aluminum scrap 'round 24-26 guage. When ya get a side cut 2 length & need 2 bend it clamp both ends over the edge of a table & tap it down w/hammer. Helps if ya have a couple of C clamp vise grips. It ain't a sheetmetal brake but the price is right. Stainless steel is tuff but hard 2 work with while round galvanized is readly available & thin but ya measurements would change when ya switch 2 thicker metal if ya used that 4 a prototype. Good luck..............

·
Registered
841 Posts
Badleg said:
Ive got an idea for a radiator cover for the vtx. Im not capable or equipped to fabricate it. You guys got any suggestions? Near St. Louis Mo.
PM BDC, he can tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about fabricating a radiator cover (he's done a "few" for the VTX.) Tell him that 3D dropped the dime on him :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts