Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Wisconsinite had a great warm day with no snow or rain so I brought home my new 06 VTX1300S.

First thing. I got a 17" Memphis Shade windshield with quick release. It's to short and I'm trying to send it back and get the 19" or something higher.

So my first question is there someone my height out here with a Memphis Shades windshield that can tell me what size shield works well for you and why?

I realize the general rule is to be just below line of sight or eye level. Others want to look through it.

Second. I got a Cobra seat with the rider back rest but it doesn't touch my back unless I lean way back and my finger tips are on the bars. Do I get like 3 or 4 inch risers or do I replace the handlebars????

Since you guys have been doing this for so long I've come to respect the experience of you members who have done this before me.

Also I want to put BUB's Jug Huggers on and I know forsure I can get them here but I asked about them at the dealership so I could see and maybe hear them in person. The look great but they couldn't start it up in the show room. Of course they tried to sell them to me and they don't appear in the 2009 catalog. Are the Jug Huggers no long available in 2009???? Is something new coming out?

Also they highly stress putting the carb kit in rather then doing the mods discussed here.

Either way I'm REALLY glad to have my new bike home so I can actually ride it and get ready for the trip to Colorado in July.

Pictures to follow soon.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
you didnt say what your height is. Im 5'4" and have switched from the 17" to the 19" and am hapy with it

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 5'8" and I have a 19", it hits me about my nose, which is just right for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My height is 5 ft 4 inches -

Opps. :yikes:

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
First thing. I got a 17" Memphis Shade windshield with quick release. It's to short and I'm trying to send it back and get the 19" or something higher.

So my first question is there someone my height out here with a Memphis Shades windshield that can tell me what size shield works well for you and why?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Interesting question. When I was researching quiet helmets there were test done with the Helmet " behind the shield " and " away from the shield ".

Normally I keep the shield height fairly high.

The other day I was riding around trying out my new helmet, and for kicks I elevated myself above the shield a bit more and dang .... the 'wind noise' was reduced. Something about how the shield alters the air flow around you.

I have lowered my shield, but have not ridden since to confirm my findings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bought the Aeromach 4" riser

Well I just went and bought the Aeromach 4" chrome risers. Just debating on getting the Kuryakin tripletree cover.

Can't return the 17" windshield dealship is being a jerk. So I guess I will be selling it here and getting he 19" sometime in the future.

Thanks for suggestions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
memphis shades

When the Memphis shades were on sale with dlp I got in late and the only ones left was the 15 slims and I could not pass up on the bargain so I bought it. To make a long story short 15 inch was to short. So I took some Spartech polycast acrylic made for skylights, windows ect. and made me a taller one. It was not so hard as I thought it was going to be, now I have a summer and a winter windshield. I’m thinking of making another one I got the glass a little to hot in a couple of spots, the hardware works just fine for both.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I'm 6'1" and have a 21" Natl. Cycle shield. My seat was modded to move me lower so now I look through the shield. No problem with that.

Added 4" Aeromach risers. Allowed me to sit straight instead of slouching. Way mo betta.

Had the dealer install the BuBs and the jet kit. The dealer didn't try to sell me on that. I asked for it at the suggestion of the folks at BuB Enterprises. Everything worked out fine. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts