Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I are going on about a 4 hunderd mile one way ride up in Ark april 22. Really looking forward to it. I like the look of the bike w/o a windshield (02 1800 C) but with a few long rides coming up, think I might could use one. I like the quick remove type. I'm 6' tall, what height of shield should I need. Never had one before. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
They say to buy one that you can just look over the top when your riding comfortable, I have the Honda line shield on the retro, and its a functioning shield, Memphis shades is ok but you will need the lower wings to stop the airflow coming up and over the tank, This is what is on the wifes 750 Shadow Ace, The factory shield for this one is just big enough for your chest.....
Ark is pretty this time of year, that is where I picked up wife no.2..... Goodluck :shock:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks honkerdogg, What are lower wings?

·
Registered
53 Posts
These are like mini shields that go just below the factory turnsignals, you may not need them, but when I road the wife's bike I had air coming up and over the tank, this blockes the air and shoots it around you like the shield does, We also rode from Ft.Worth to Hotsprings AR. last sept and my wife just loved the setup, and yes memphis shades sells these also....Goodluck.... :shock:

D

·
0 Posts
hey man, I am in the same boat as you regarding looks.I have a C model as well,and hate shields too.
I am caving into buying one and after looking at all brands am going to buy a switchblade shield..lots of posts on here regarding them...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Go for the 2 up switchbade and yes,get the lowers.It pops off with just a pull from the front but is very stable.You'll probably do like me tho and never take it off. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the switchblade shorty on the 03R and it is fantastic

·
Registered
60 Posts
windshield

I bought the nc up front package, I love it. well as far as windshileds go! lol not fond of the look of windshields either but it sure functions nice!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Windshield

I agree that I really like the look of the 1800C without a windshield. Thats why it was hard for me to decide which one to use this winter. I finally settled on the Memphasis Shades Hellcat. It is a low profile windshield that give reasonable protection and comfort while maintaing the overall lines of the bike. At 5'9" I look over the top of the windshield but it takes the wind off the chest thus lowering the fatigue (and chill) factor. It does not have a quick release style mounting but can be removed quickly by loosening two screws with a allen key. Although I was viewing it as a temporary solution for winter riding I think it is a permanant addition to my bike.

I dont have a picture of my 1800C handy but here is a picture of a friends Retro with the Hellcat. It was seeing his that made the finale decision for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the rifle 22" , and the lowers for my VTX Retro, and love them, I come from having touring bikes for the last 15 years and wanted a big twin , and my chance came up and I bought a retro when the holdovers went on sale. I jumped at it, and I absolutely love the X and its feel. What I did for measurement was cut pieces of cardboard from 21" up to 25", then set on your headlight. Then choose the height that best fited me. They say you want to see over it, somewhere between your bridge of your nose to a little lower . The wind gets pushed up over, so it really works nice, and then you can always see clearly when your looking over and not through it when its full of bugs. I tried going without a wndshield, and after getting use to them it sucks. Much more relaxing ride when driving down the highway at 70 mph. If you get a windshield, you'll never go back, except for sport biking once in awhile. The rifle costs plenty, but its built well. You could take it off with 4 bolts for sporting around if you didn't mind the brackets on. I even put a windshield on wifes scooter, and she loves it. We have bugs the size of humming birds here, so without a shield it nearly knocks you off hitting them buggers. Go for it and don't get some skimpy little weiny shield, I got the classic L from Rifle, they have a wider one, but this is very very very what I was looking for. Happy windshielding buying. Oh ya, I could of went higher I found out after, but it still pushes wind up and well over, I feel a little air on top, but I think that will work great with my new helmet for cooling.

·
Registered
136 Posts
SS 2828 said:
I'm 6' tall, what height of shield should I need. Never had one before. Thanks!
The height that's right for you depends on the length of your torso, the type of seat installed on your bike, your posture and whether you want to look over the shield or through it. I wanted the top of the shield to be just below my sight line, so I cut some cardboard blanks, had Mrs. Raptor hold 'em place while I sat on the bike and then bought a 19" Memphis Fats. The 19" height was great, but the buffeting didn't go away until I installed lowers. BTW, I'm 5'11". Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellows, The switchblade system is one I'm looking at also. got to determine height and style .VTXCRZR your friends Retro w/hellcat looks great. Raptor your Memphis fats looks like a clean setup. Got to start looking around town for some more Xers and see what they have and how I like their setup. Unfortunately the guys I started riding with (no Xers) 2 yamahas 1 kawie few HD's, but I want give up HOPE!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts