Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the GPS thing. I was wondering if you bought a garmin GPS, how would you mount it?? are there any webpages?? I was also wondering about battery life, I don't want to wire in a cigarette plug in if I don't have to.. how long does the battery last???

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can put the GPS on your bars, left right or center and you can wire it into the headlight bucket if you choose, or you can add a switch and wire it to the battery or install an accessory fuse box if you don't already have one.

If you bought a Zumo you can visit http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

You will find any and all questions their. Also, what kind of GPS from Garmin did you get? Hope this helps.

If you have a Zumo, the battery should last about 2 hours. It only takes about an hour to install it into the headlight bucket, shorter if you know how to remove and replace the damn thing :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the quest 2, and really love it. I like the buttons as opposed to the touch screen, and it can be used as a portable unit. A handle bar mount is available from garmin for about 20 bucks. I also put a cigerette lighter adaptor on a pigtail running up to a handle bar bag, every thing is out of sight, and also can be used to charge other electronics. I don't think the battaries would last long with the back light on continuously, which you will need, to see in the sunlight. It also fits nicely between the handle bar clamps

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
I have a garmin 250w and hard wired it to the bike (really not hard) with a kit I believe I got off amazon and I used this mount I got off of ebay. good luck

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a garmin 250w and hard wired it to the bike (really not hard) with a kit I believe I got off amazon and I used this mount I got off of ebay. good luck

I used the same mount. I hard wired power inside the headlight nacelle, to wires used for the lightbar. Unfortunately, I bought an off-brand power wire and it seems to have a flaw, so I've been using the internal battery until I get a new one. Internal battery on the 205 seems to last about 3-4 hours. However, you can dim the display and get it to last twice as long. Makes it hard to see in daylight, but fine at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts