Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the middle running wires through my handle bars and the tape identifying two different wires fell off. I need to know what the black wires with two white dashes spaced every quarter inch are for on the throttle side of the handlebar. I need to know what I am doing before attempting to just do a temporary hookup and try firing the bike up. You help is needed. :shock:
Thanks

·
Registered
760 Posts
Page 18-0 of my maintenance manual says the Bl/W wire runs from the engine stop switch and the starter switch. Also, according to the wiring diagram, It also is connected to a short run of Bl/W that goes to the main connector for that wiring harness. Coming out of the other side of this harness connector it changes color to Bl. Hopes this helps!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if it would make a difference on how they are hooked up?

Possibly, if the wire are adjusted wrong, I would think the switch would work in reverse (i.e. when in shutoff mode the bike would run?)?
Give me some more input.

Thanks for the manual check and wiring diagram help!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Call me and I will help you thru this.

OK

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, but I am at work right now. I am trying to find out so I can change some things when I eventually get home.

Please take your Phone number off this general board. PM it to me and I can call during the day if I need help. I just don't want someone bad getting ahold of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
The two wires that are identically marked are the brake light switch wires (the contact switch at the end of the brake lever). Doesn't matter how these two wires are connected.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Oh, yeah, these wires look like the horn wires from the clutch side, which also can be switched with no difference.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3D I think you are referring to the wires on the housing. I am referring to the rather large wires that run down the handle bars. They look to be about 14 or 16 gauge. The power to the starter and kill switch make more sense.
Sorry

·
Registered
841 Posts
No, that's a single wire running along the handlebars, split at the switch (at least that's the way it is on my bike and on the wiring schematic for an 1800Retro 2002.) It's not too hard to check if these are the wires to the brake light switch (Also remember the tip that the two wires are identical in marking to the two wires from the horn on the left side). Either use a multitester to check continuity with the brake light switch, or use a simple battery and light bulb to check the circuit.

I spent quite a lot of time running my wires through the handlebars, turnsignal mirrors, moving the wiring harness out of the headlight bucket, headlight module, etc. If you have two IDENTICAL wires from the throttle side, they go to the brake light switch.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up putting them together last night and was able to get everything to work on the first try. Lucky, I guess. I looked at the wiring shcematic in the manual when I got home. The wires I was referring to look to be the starter wires as said above. Not trying to argue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts