Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a honda 2004 vtx 1300 c it has been sitting for about a year .i was told that the bike was running be for it was parked .i really want to get this bike running on my own .and learn how to work on it my self. I guess what in an trying to say is there some place or some one I could talk to or contact that might can help questions and detailed specks made simple for learning about my bike (free specks on line )or someone to talk to if I have a question

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
There is always the search function here, that thing at the top of the page that says Search Community and has a little white spyglass thingy. If you can't find the answer there, then ask away, someone will get to you.

Reactions: 123hotdog

·
Registered
866 Posts
Good morning Dnoots,

It's not my first VTX but I'm wrapping up rebuilding an 04 1300S. Same story as yours; was sitting for over a year after being laid down by previous owner.

Happy to help answer an questions & if you need any parts lemme know.

CV

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Look in the tank???
Is it clean or rusty??
If it is rusty remove the carb bowl and take a look.
Ethanol attracts moisture, separates from gas(phase change).
In the past year many VTX parked for a year or longer have been purchased.
Many have carb issues from old gas, carb clog/corrosion, tank rust.
Go to the 1300 board and start reading.
Some start with questions in the "New members" board also.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just bought a honda 2004 vtx 1300 c it has been sitting for about a year .i was told that the bike was running be for it was parked .i really want to get this bike running on my own .and learn how to work on it my self. I guess what in an trying to say is there some place or some one I could talk to or contact that might can help questions and detailed specks made simple for learning about my bike (free specks on line )or someone to talk to if I have a question

There used to be a copy of the vtx 1300 factory service manual on this forum somewhere. Maybe someone can post a link to where it is located If not I still have it saved and should be able to figure out a way to get it over to you. It will prove to be a big help. And everything Hans&feet said 100%. Good luck!

Reactions: 123hotdog

·
Registered
876 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you have a half assed set of tools and a willingness to learn, this group can help you through anything with that bike.

Start with changing the oil and filter before you get it running. Smell the gas, if it’s bad, drain it and start fresh. Put a 1/4 can of Seafoam in it with the fresh gas.

Keep us apprised of progress.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best of luck to ya. Mine hasn't been tagged in three years but previous owner was starting it on a regular.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In addition to fresh fluids, Watch some youtube on how to remove the tank. Then remove the fuel bowl and take out the main and secondary jet and clean them really well so you can see through all the little holes. Lots of vids on this as well. If you have a clean carb, tank, filter, and good fuel it should start up.

It is REALLY easy to get plugs fowled. Never use the Choke on a VTX, it is just an enricher, not really a choke at all. Pull a plug and check or just put in new ones.

On my VTX1300 the intake manifold comes loose from time to time and the motor goes lean. While the tank is off it is a good idea to make sure the screws holding the manifold are tight on both cylinders. I have not had to remove the carb to do this but the tank is in the way.

When you put the tank back on, make sure your wires are free and not under the tank. Also, make sure you can suck air through the vent tube. if it is clogged you will not be going far. if you open the tank and hear air suck in, the vent tube is clogged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You tube

1 - 10 of 10 Posts