Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
We need to band together in large numbers, but I am afraid the younger generations don't really care. Back in the early 70''s Ohio got the helmet laws reversed. Thousands of motorcycles rode into Columbus, was a pretty eerie site.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
no need for the noise.. but not to ban access ..

bikers pay for public roads also.

speed/noise camera's and automatic fines... should NOT be legal.

my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
Some bikes are very loud, and some riders ride like idiots, and it bothers people. While, yes, there should be limits, society needs to stop buckling to other people's annoyances. People are, generally, far more angry these days and not so tolerant. As such, they have a tendency to complain about simple annoyance, and liberal minded legislators are among the complainers. So you get silly legislation, and many dollars spent so people don't get annoyed. Our lives now tend to be governed by "feelings" instead of reason and common sense. Sometimes people can be such snowflakes.

·
Old Goat
24,771 Posts
Fair is fair...while their at it drop the volume on loud ass car radios,barking dogs,crying babies...etc,etc;)
PS...I will admit to this,I’m not necessarily a fan of loud pipes...but I am a fan of people not imposing their BS rules...on us

·
Registered
697 Posts
A few years ago I was high up in Olympic National Park, in the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center parking lot with my 1800.
On top of the world with incredibly beautiful scenery with loads of people enjoying the beauty that this country offers us.
With some idiot for several minutes in that parking lot revving his engine like there was no tomorrow and then taking of as loud and as fast as he could.
Unacceptable.
And I have had similar experiences here in the Colorado Rocky mountains hiking several miles deep into the wilderness where you can hear similar idiots annoying the snot out of everybody.
Unacceptable.

Are BS rules needed? No.
Respect for other people, that's what is needed.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
All good points. Should stupid or discourteous behavior result in etiquette legislation? Because that's really what this is all about. The problem isn't loud bikes, it's a--hole behavior. Legislating the volume of motorcycles does not, and will not eliminate said a--hole behavior. We all know a--holes are universal, they are everywhere, and they will not remain quiet, under any circumstance. It's truly disturbing that legislators are so incredibly short sighted as to not be able to see this fact. It's not just about motorcycles. As TennX said, what about dogs, babies / children, commercial trucks? We'll be legislated to bloody death, just so that snowflakes can have their "safe space".

Outlaw a--hole behavior and you'll get my vote on that! Heck they can't even enforce distracted driving laws and that is deadly! Noise is just noise.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
There are already laws for "disturbing the peace".
Yes there are, and they should be sufficient to cover such a--hole behavior, yet here we are. How many laws do we need, before they are all unenforceable?

·
Registered
910 Posts
The State of Arizona has already decided NOT to participate in photo radar law enforcement ticketing of vehicles. They tried it on all state roads and it was so immensly unpopular with the general public, the Governor at the time, Cancelled the whole thing and ALL existing tickets were automatically dismissed. (I was one of those Tickets btw :)) Anyway, I don't think any politician down here would dare to change it back. The local towns and municipalities (sp?) CAN still do it and they DO do it. Got one of those photo radar tickets too (on bike), that one got dismissed too, i called their bluff and held out for them to "serve it to me", perfectly legal in the law pertaining to Photo Radar Ticketing. 90 days auto dismissed. They were a fairly small town i went on an extended ride too.

That's too much luck...i gonna get screwed now, i bet...lol We all get so much good luck and bad luck, hate it when they use up my good-luck on this BS.

ps: i want my good luck on the BIG stuff and bad luck on the small stuff ;):geek:?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Respect for other people, that's what is needed.
I've gotten wave at and smiled at while riding 20-25 mph pass people in their yards and walking on the side of the street.. I think it was for the look of the bike but also my quite stock mufflers. Just something I noticed.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
FWIW. On my VTX 1300 I installed Monster Baffles. The actual baffle was a bolt standing on end with a washer welded to the bolt, standing on end. They were loud but not obnoxious at first.
After thousands of miles they were loud & obnoxious.
I never got complaints from my neighbors, or pulled over for excessive noise.

On my Yami I have Cobra 2 into1 pipe.
Louder than stock, but quieter than most other pipes.

Also, as Harkon & henkvbd point out, it's how you ride.
I don't like riders blasting through my neighborhood, so I take it easy when riding thru 'hoods.
Sitting at a light, or anywhere else, revving the motor is just wasting gas & using up spark plugs.

I fail to grasp the logic of having to wear earplugs because your own bike is too loud.
(Yes, I've seen the question asked about earplugs on several different Forums, for exactly that reason)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some bikes are very loud, and some riders ride like idiots, and it bothers people. While, yes, there should be limits, society needs to stop buckling to other people's annoyances. People are, generally, far more angry these days and not so tolerant. As such, they have a tendency to complain about simple annoyance, and liberal minded legislators are among the complainers. So you get silly legislation, and many dollars spent so people don't get annoyed. Our lives now tend to be governed by "feelings" instead of reason and common sense. Sometimes people can be such snowflakes.
Common sense does not exist any more as far as I can see.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I fail to grasp the logic of having to wear earplugs because your own bike is too loud.
(Yes, I've seen the question asked about earplugs on several different Forums, for exactly that reason)
You wear ear plugs for WIND, not the noise of your pipes necessarily. Everyone wearing a half helmet should be wearing ear plugs. My tinnitis says so

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Here in Ontario, we had photo radar (fine comes in the mail to licensed owner of the vehicle, no demerit points against your license). No insurance implications either (so they say):D
They tosses the ridiculousness back out but there's always whispers of bringing it back and now we have red light cameras all over (same principle, ticket just goes to license plate holder)

One area I know of in the Province has started to really enforce loud pipe laws. It's a touristy riding area where they have their fair share of azz hat riders on nice weekends. Police randomly measure for X decibels and ticket on the spot.

I don't ride there any more....

·
Old Goat
24,771 Posts
Back in the day I had a 1965 Mustang Fastback 289 ..tweaked a little ...nice set of pipes...loud pipe ticket was $5....got one nearly every weekend....consider them bragging rights and badge of honor.... ;)

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
You wear ear plugs for WIND, not the noise of your pipes necessarily. Everyone wearing a half helmet should be wearing ear plugs. My tinnitis says so
I hadn't considered wind noise, I wear a 3/4 helmet w/face shield.
That being said, I saw a post on another forum, asking what brand of earplugs were best, because his pipes were so loud.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I hadn't considered wind noise, I wear a 3/4 helmet w/face shield.
That being said, I saw a post on another forum, asking what brand of earplugs were best, because his pipes were so loud.
I always wear earplugs when riding, regardless of if I'm using my 1/2 helmet or full helmet.

Wind noise is responsible for a large part of rider/driver fatigue (if you are in a noisy vehicle the same applies). In my now sold jeep with 35" mud tires, and soft top I would put ear plugs in for long trips, I could tell a difference if I didn't.

Ear plugs also makes it easier for me to hear my batwing stereo, it cuts the wind noise, but leaves the stereo (it does cut some of the stereo, but not much).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts