Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
They will tell you they have one like that, the GoldWing. Honda DID have one like that, the Valk, but they dropped that line too. Ain't gonna happen, but that fairing is way too ugly for me

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I haven't owned a Kaw since the 70's but I sure like the looks of this one. Now I wonder what the price tag will be.

John

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
$16,799 w/o ABS and $17,899 with ABS
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=379

Many of us have been waiting for Honda to come out with a big V-twin, water cooled tourer based off of the VTX1800 platform. It probably won't happen with Honda. I'll definately be looking at the Kawasaki.

I guess Honda feels they have the tourer category covered with the Gold Wing, but many prefer a V-Twin tourer. I'm surprised the cruiser market is 35% of the total street and dirt motorcycle market. This is a very big market for Honda not to have a full dresser v-twin in their line up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Kaw

That is a really good looking machine. Pull that trunk off and it would be really sharp around town. I do wish Honda would follow suit.:agree:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Motorcycle Cruiser magazine has the new Kawi's in the '09 buyers guide in their latest issue. They show 4 new Vulcan 1700 models:
Voyager - full dresser, hard bags, trunk, frame-mounted faring (the one in the op's link)
Nomad - hard bags, pass. backrest, windshield
Clasic LT - same as the Nomad but with leather bags.
Classic - basic, stripped-down cruiser w/ full fenders.

There's also a rumor that there could be a 1700 Mean Streak on the same platform for 2010.

Here's another one I'm anxious to see in person:

The Triumph Thunderbird -- 1600 parallel twin, belt drive, 6-speed.

Just two options that could finally tear me away from Hondas. :? They've got maybe two more years to get their sh%@$# together and come up with something a bit more enticing than the Fury.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pretty neat! At that price it ought to sell.:smile:

·
Registered
5,899 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
My wife's already talking about me trading the X in on one. I told her there was no trading...just adding to. Not sure that went over too well.:roll:

·
Registered
435 Posts
No offense Spike but the fairing that you have on your HD to me is the ugliest fairing made. Maybe not as bad as the Rifle fairing but close. As far as HD I like the HD classic.

And yes Honda will tell you that they have one better than that.

Look how many years honda has been making the Goldwing and how many sold. Do you think they would make a bike to cut there own throats. I sold Honda bikes back in the 70's and I remember when the first Goldwing arrived.

The Kawasaki does look nice but it looks like a HD. Then just go out and buy a HD, because the price is not far apart. I was offered a Classic for 20K 4 weeks ago at the new HD store that open up.

In the past Kaw, Suzuki and Yamaha all made a bike to look like the Gold wing but none have lasted.

As much as I don't care for HD, maybe it's the price and some of the people that ride them. But I have to say. They keep there style and the model names with out too much change.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
$16,799 w/o ABS and $17,899 with ABS
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=379

Many of us have been waiting for Honda to come out with a big V-twin, water cooled tourer based off of the VTX1800 platform. It probably won't happen with Honda. I'll definately be looking at the Kawasaki.

I guess Honda feels they have the tourer category covered with the Gold Wing, but many prefer a V-Twin tourer. I'm surprised the cruiser market is 35% of the total street and dirt motorcycle market. This is a very big market for Honda not to have a full dresser v-twin in their line up.
One problem with the GW for us aging baby boomers is the mid-placed foot controls. I like cruisers because they let yuo stretch out. Try that on a GW and you have to buy these funky engine-guard like footrests that have your legs splayed open in what looks to be an uncomfortable position.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Look at the age of most GW riders, there not in there teens, mostly in there 50 and up. If you look around there the ones on the interstate doing the long hauls. And there bikes that are for sale has very high milage.

I meet 2 couples in New Hamphire with 4 GW. 2 regular and 2 trikes which the women rode and they were from Florida, that's about 17000 miles. All of them in there late 60's (not baby boomers).

The 4 GW had floor boards and pegs. One of the bikes had over 80000 miles. I wonder how there poor old bones did it. It must be that 6 cyc engine that produces less vibration and a better desgin over a V twin.

I don't see flocks of people buying the Victory tourer because it doesn't look like a HD. It has a Vtwin.

Justing making the point I made earlier. The new Kaw looks like a HD.

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
That's why I said "For me", everyone has their own tastes.
As for price of the HD, everyone keeps saying this and if you look at the prices, I mean, really go down to a dealer and look and find a dealer that actully sits down with you and talk prices, the HD touring line is not that much different than a Wing in cost. Take the Road Glide, MSRP is $17k, add a trunk and you're talking $19k for all the touring essentials. Wings MSRP $21k, HD Ultra MSRP is also $21k. So they are not that out of line with other full touring bikes. If you like a v-twin over a flat 6, you have a very able, gas sipping machine at no more exspense that a Wing :cool:
No offense Spike but the fairing that you have on your HD to me is the ugliest fairing made. Maybe not as bad as the Rifle fairing but close. As far as HD I like the HD classic.

And yes Honda will tell you that they have one better than that.

Look how many years honda has been making the Goldwing and how many sold. Do you think they would make a bike to cut there own throats. I sold Honda bikes back in the 70's and I remember when the first Goldwing arrived.

The Kawasaki does look nice but it looks like a HD. Then just go out and buy a HD, because the price is not far apart. I was offered a Classic for 20K 4 weeks ago at the new HD store that open up.

In the past Kaw, Suzuki and Yamaha all made a bike to look like the Gold wing but none have lasted.

As much as I don't care for HD, maybe it's the price and some of the people that ride them. But I have to say. They keep there style and the model names with out too much change.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
oasysco wrote:
One problem with the GW for us aging baby boomers is the mid-placed foot controls. I like cruisers because they let yuo stretch out. Try that on a GW and you have to buy these funky engine-guard like footrests that have your legs splayed open in what looks to be an uncomfortable position.
I and many who ride a Wing have the engine guard footrests to stretch out on the road. Yes, your legs are splayed when you use them, but they are very comfortable. Riding the Wing, I can go six or seven hundred miles a day and not be any more tired for the most part doing the same distance in a car. The smooth as silk ride and all the wind protection makes long rides pretty easy. Still, sometimes I like the feel of the v-twin on the road and I still take jaunts on the VTX.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts