Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! Dropping in to find all the good maintenance tips.

Picked up my 2004 VTX 1800N a month and a half ago. 38000km/23600 miles

Cobra pipes and a very old Cobra Fi2000 (Only has 2 adjustment pots, lol) which will be replaced with a PC5 during the winter... Autotune FTW :grin2:

Added the fork deflectors to try and stop the buffeting... Turns out, my air was coming through the headlight hole, so I'll have to make a custom plate to plug it off... An old pair of coveralls just doesn't cut it for me :grin2:

All she needed was a new front tire, air filter, and a fork seal cleaning before being road worthy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
63,723 Posts
Welcome, you didn't need to replace that filter. That is a K&N filter and it lasts for 1,000,000 miles. Just pick up a K&N Recharge kit from Autozone or Amazon and clean and oil it once a year

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, you didn't need to replace that filter. That is a K&N filter and it lasts for 1,000,000 miles. Just pick up a K&N Recharge kit from Autozone or Amazon and clean and oil it once a year
I've seen bad things happen with twisted/bent/collapsing air filters... The new one is getting regular cleanings, lol.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner definitely left the old filter too long, lol. He also had Bosch +4 plugs in there... She's running much better now, and aot better gas mileage... Right now I can get somewhere North of 160 miles to a tank...

My first tank, riding like an idiot, I got 136 miles to 5.42 gallons, lol.

Also fixed my buffeting issue! The new fix just needs some weather stripping to smooth it out, instead of the coveralls

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
63,723 Posts
I've seen bad things happen with twisted/bent/collapsing air filters... The new one is getting regular cleanings, lol.
Well, I'll break it to you now, the new one is going to bend too. That's the way that intake was designed and it seals by tightly clamping down on the filter edge so your new will look just like that in a few miles. :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'll break it to you now, the new one is going to bend too. That's the way that intake was designed and it seals by tightly clamping down on the filter edge so your new will look just like that in a few miles.
Most likely, lol, but I do feel better starting with a fresh filter that I know the history of.

Also considering pulling the butterflies off the hypercharger.... They rattle like a mofo cruising in town

·
Super Moderator
63,723 Posts
If they rattle, then the bushings are worn out. Contact Kuryakyn for parts to fix it as it should make no noise

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's constantly opening and closing from 1/4 open... I probably have a vacuum leak going to the thing, lol. It felt solid when I tried wiggling by hand, but I'll look at i5 closer, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
63,723 Posts
Check teh vacuum line that's hooked into the Hyper. If there is a check valve on that vacuum line, you have to remove it. It needs a solid line from the canister to the Hyper, no check valve or it won't work as it should. It should open and close with the throttle like on a old school funny car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Check teh vacuum line that's hooked into the Hyper. If there is a check valve on that vacuum line, you have to remove it. It needs a solid line from the canister to the Hyper, no check valve or it won't work as it should. It should open and close with the throttle like on a old school funny car

Will double check it, thanks! For the most part it works, but at 30 - 40MPH in 3rd gear it flaps like crazy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, there goes any plans for awhile... Two months into ownership, and head gaskets need to be done

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's a lot of bugs on that ride. All from one ride or are you continuing the collection?

Just dickin' with you. :mcrider:

Reactions: drperry
1 - 18 of 18 Posts