Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install LED driving lights? I see some that draw 40w each. Battery OK for that drain? 80W total?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Anyone install LED driving lights? I see some that draw 40w each. Battery OK for that drain? 80W total?
I have 2- Quake Rogue lights mounted on my engine guards. Ea. one has 2- 10W Cree LED's. 15* beam pattern, 6K white light. Never any worries about LED power draws, blowing fuses, or burning up anything in the 5 or 6 years I've had them mounted. They are on a dedicated circuit through a fuse block off the battery, and controlled on/ off with a handlebar push on/ push off switch.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Do they reach way out with light?
Oh they'll reach! But since they were intended as off-road roof rack lights, and I have them low on the bike, they are aimed maybe 50-75 ft. out.

Reactions: Vince159

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
40 watt draw for each pod, those should be some extremely bright LED lights. That is about what my Denali D4s on my Royal Star Venture each draw. They are great for down the road and to the sides.

Be sure to add up the wattage you are using now. Somewhere on here is a listing of output of the stator and current draw of each bulb. Add a volt meter even if only one of those with colored lights, they are cheap and work.

I originally on my 1300 was running Silver Star Ultras in the main H-4 plus two H-4 auxiliary headlights from RIVCO plus two MotoLights all halogen with OEM running and signal bulbs. It did not take much to have more going out than going into the battery.

I quickly switched all running and turn signals to LEDs. I replaced the MotoLights halogens with MotoLights' LEDs. All was OK as per the voltmeter except if I had to sit at a traffic light on a hot day for very long then the fan would kick in putting voltage in the yellow. I just switched off the RIVCO lights.

I have recently replaced (after well over 100,000 miles) the H-4s in the RIVCOs with LEDs from The Headlight Experts. They seem to work well with the stock reflectors although my night riding has been limited since the swap. The RIVCOs never seemed to have good reflectors.

At the same time I replaced the main headlight with the VTX Daymaker. Now that one is good. I wish they made one for my Royal Star Venture.

Since making the above changes my voltmeter is always in the green.

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 5 of 5 Posts