Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A road trip last summer took the wife across the plains of north Texas.The rediculous winds we were not prepared for.South winds at 45 mph sustained with gust up to 70mph.It was freakin crazy! We were heading west and we had to lean into the wind so hard it wore down one side of front tires.I had to have the front tire on both bikes replaced after we returned home.Anyone else ever experienced this.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have riddend in similar condition when going from Douglas Wyoming to Cheyene. We encountered 55 mph direct cross winds. We were having our _sses blown all over the highway including into the far lane of trafic. I was leaned over so far in order to maintain going straight that I feared scraping pegs.

Very scary to say the least. It took 96 miles on this interstate before we found a hotel to stay the night in. We survived but I do not want to repeat that trip.

I had my 100# wife on her Kawi 900 behind me and my friend on his M109R as well. I of course was most scared for her being on a lighter bike and so small to begin with.

R. Todd

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

We encountered high winds in wyoming as well (cheyenne to Rock Springs).The only consolation was the wind was comming straight at us rather than a cross wind .Still bruttal though.A resident told me that in Wyoming it's either snowing or blowing.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I don't mind riding in some wind. If it's gusting I am not gettin' on the bike. Just scares the sheet out of me, and I've read too many stories here about getting blown into the oncoming lane. :yikes: Nope not me.

Y'all stay safe.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
had same problem in may coming from myrtel beach bike week left after rain and tornado's let up and road 8 hrs to virgina in 50-60 mile hour wind gust had to lean into wing to maintain controll wore me out had to stop in virginia and rest for night shoulder were killing me form fighting wind might not of been as bad if I was solo but wife was on bike and loaded up to bursting point :yikes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have rode in 15-20mph winds with gust to 25-35mph, but never a sustained wind over 30mph.

I was traveling (in the car) I-40 though OK, TX and just over into NM this summer, the constant wind in that area is really amazing to someone that is not used to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had an experience similar to those wyoming ones but I has headed to east Glacier via browning. That area is know for wind but It was a first for me riding almost continuously at an angle. the wind was pretty steady so that made it less scary.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I was heading west on I 80 out of Cheyenne last May. I passed a group of 10 or so bikes from IL. There was a south wind of about 25 and those guys were having a tough time with it.

I was heading east out of Williams, AZ on I 40 last May and had a 40 MPH tail wind. I drove to Albuquerque and got 43 MPG in my 07 Impala. There were no bikes on the road. That wind was awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts