Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing my V/H pipes and going to the sideburner on my retro. I really like the look of the pipe and think it adds a lot to the overall look of the bike.

My question is about the mounting, what do they use to mout the pipe for hardware? Do they use the stock y-bone hanger or do they supply other hardware to hang it with?

Thanks in advance.

Don

·
Registered
222 Posts
my sideburners came with a bracket

·
Registered
554 Posts
DonG...let me know if you want to sell your V&H's!!!

Send me a PM!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
madmanadam said:
my sideburners came with a bracket
ok great! I still have the stock bracket and was just wondering what I might need if anything from the stock set-up.

Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does come with a hanger that does mount to the y hanger, It is a custom fit....Goodluck.. :shock:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Be careful buying the sideburners right now as there seems to be a problem with the chrome being pitted. :?

I was going to get a set but had the chance to look at them first hand, brand new still in the box, and had to turn them down due to pitting.

And from what I've heard and seen, this is not an isolated problem.

I am going to wait a couple of months and try again, hopefully they will have the problem fixed soon ,as these are the only pipes that I really like the look and bad a$$ sound.

Just a friendly heads up. 8)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honkerdogg,

Thanks for the heads up on the hanger, sure glad I kept it. I've got stock pieces to this bike all over the garage.

Ozzy,

Thanks for the warning on the pitting but it's too late, ordered it last night before I saw your post.. fingers crossed now.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I just got mine a month ago, and the Chrome was perfect!
Before I ordered mine, the people on this post seem to have issues with HK. But, I took the risk because IMO, the Sideburner is the only pipe for the beast. Mine couldn't of come in better condition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got mine from HDL and the chrome, fit, and finish are perfect, there are no pits or blemishes on the chrome at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My chrome is also perfect, no problems with this pipe... :shock:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Please post how they look when you get them. I'm thinking of ordering a set as well and have heard about chroming issues as well

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flyguru said:
Please post how they look when you get them. I'm thinking of ordering a set as well and have heard about chroming issues as well
Will do! :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've heard of five sets in the past four weeks. A local Honda dealer had three with chrome pitted on the rear header pipe, one online company had a set with chrome flaking off the collector, and one set from a GA dealer had rust on both the header pipes. These were still in the box. Bad batch maybe. DG says no problem. The "major distributor" for HK is unloading a lot of big white boxes off the UPS truck. If you order have them checked thoroughly before you spend the $$$ to have the installed. Or spend the hrs. doing it yourself only to have to take them back off.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well! :?

The brown truck came and finally delivered my sideburner, carefully opened the box and unwrapped the pipes to lay out the parts for the install.

The first front pipe came out all marked up at the top for about 8" down the pipe, lookes like it was hit with a wire brush.. :evil:

The second pipe (rear) had rust all around the flange and the pipe at the connection area.. :evil: :evil:

The muffler was perfectly chromed..but.. the heat shield was welded on wrong and wouldn't accept the top (rear) pipe.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

So...... after waiting 10 days for them to show up with the bike on the lift all apart I'm repacking them and sending them back! Another 10 day wait for another set. :cry:

Atleast the exhaust gaskets fit.. :roll:

Whats up with HK?, their quality really sucks! :evil:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Where did you order them from. My brother in law got a set from Hal and it looked great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, their may be a trend here but I let it work for me and got a factory "blem" off of feebay for $320. The small nicks are unnoticable till you get about 18 inches from it. The nicks are only on the rear header and they are brand new. I just put them on like 5 hours ago when the ups guy brought my new gaskets. they do kinda sound farty whem you first hear them at idle but once you wind 'em out one time that makes it worth it. I've never heard a VTX with aftermarket pipes that diddn't sound farty (IMO). guess thats the nature of the beast. But I can't wait to get back out there and make some noise! :twisted:

lates...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts