Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,190 Posts
What's with the ring thing in the pictures, where a headlight would normally be? Is that supposed to be some sort of LED headlight?

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
What's with the ring thing in the pictures, where a headlight would normally be? Is that supposed to be some sort of LED headlight?
I think that's just a prototype. For the street it would need a headlight, taillight and signal lights so my bet is that this is where the headlight will go.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Or a Harley Electric Wheelchair
So if the Ultras are colloquially known as "Geezer Glides" ... yes I ride a Geezer Glide, then they will need names for such items. Electrics get a "wire suffix" so if an electric wheelchair ... geriatricwire? Of course it need not be limited to geriatrics so maybe "enablewire"? ... you know as opposed to disabled wire it enables people. Screamin' Eagle could offer stage 1,2,3 kits for the chair. Bigger batteries, motor upgrades, performance firmware. It's a whole industry. I know I'd want one as opposed to those generic non-biker chairs.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So if the Ultras are colloquially known as "Geezer Glides" ... yes I ride a Geezer Glide.
Harley should stick to what they know, V-Twins classic looking motorcycles, add some entry level motorcycles to the lineup so it might encourage riders to move up in the future. The market isn't quite ready for Electric motorcycles, the technology is still developing. As for as Electric bicycles, Harley is not a toy maker, leave that for the toy companies. Harley builds motorcycles for grownups. As for as being called a "Geezer" I'm sure I'm looked at that way on my aging Honda V-Twin by the younger generation.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Harley should stick to what they know, V-Twins classic looking motorcycles, add some entry level motorcycles to the lineup so it might encourage riders to move up in the future. The market isn't quite ready for Electric motorcycles, the technology is still developing. As for as Electric bicycles, Harley is not a toy maker, leave that for the toy companies. Harley builds motorcycles for grownups. As for as being called a "Geezer" I'm sure I'm looked at that way on my aging Honda V-Twin by the younger generation.
I don't know the world will ever be ready for electric motorcycles. As you said, the tech has a long ways to go. I agree that Harley should remain in the classic bike market, it is their core strength after all. I don't see a problem with them getting into the small bike market in Asia and India. As well stretching their capabilities will have them prepared for the next gen big cruiser when air cooled and pushrods just won't cut it anymore. They really need to develop the tech to grow and remain relevant. JMO

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
I don't know the world will ever be ready for electric motorcycles. As you said, the tech has a long ways to go. I agree that Harley should remain in the classic bike market, it is their core strength after all. I don't see a problem with them getting into the small bike market in Asia and India. As well stretching their capabilities will have them prepared for the next gen big cruiser when air cooled and pushrods just won't cut it anymore. They really need to develop the tech to grow and remain relevant. JMO
This.

If HD were to find a way to elegantly include liquid cooling like Indian they would likely survive. Hell, I would look at buying one - if it were cheap enough.

That's the other problem. The number of people willing to drop even 20k on a bike is dropping like a stone. most kids would rather spend that money on a phone or a tablet than a bike.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
This.

If HD were to find a way to elegantly include liquid cooling like Indian they would likely survive. Hell, I would look at buying one - if it were cheap enough.

That's the other problem. The number of people willing to drop even 20k on a bike is dropping like a stone. most kids would rather spend that money on a phone or a tablet than a bike.
I honestly believe the PanAmerica engine is a prelude to exactly that. Problem is that the Challenger isn't cheap either. I think big bikes will be like big cars, for the wealthy to start with and then gone as dinosaurs.

It it unbelievably ridiculous the prices they are getting for these bikes these days.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
"Girly" man snowflakes can't handle "REAL" motorcycles!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think big bikes will be like big cars, for the wealthy to start with and then gone as dinosaurs.
It it unbelievably ridiculous the prices they are getting for these bikes these days.
I know guys with big touring bikes, when I try to get them to ride, lets go for a morning or afternoon ride, most of the time they have other things, plans going on. I'm happy I decided to stay with my mid size cruiser and not fall into the big touring bike craze. I think it's heartbreaking thinking to have a high price big touring bike sitting in a garage and not riding it. It's nice to go on a ride with a few friends, but if they won't ride, I'll continue riding on my own.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
I know guys with big touring bikes, when I try to get them to ride, lets go for a morning or afternoon ride, most of the time they have other things, plans going on. I'm happy I decided to stay with my mid size cruiser and not fall into the big touring bike craze. I think it's heartbreaking thinking to have a high price big touring bike sitting in a garage and not riding it. It's nice to go on a ride with a few friends, but if they won't ride, I'll continue riding on my own.
I don't know the size of the bike has anything to do with it, but we know life has a way of playing spoiler when it comes to leisure. I'm like you though, I have no issues riding alone, although it's always more enjoyable with friends.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts