Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh, for when the world was honest. It just gets all too hard now to sell a bike from home. I believe taking it to a yard and letting them take a slice as commission is just good sense now.
Some motorcycle shops will sell your used bike on a consignment basis. I would suggest this option for anyone who isn't willing to deal with risks of selling from their home to strangers. I sold a bike this way once and the deal is that they add cost to your asking price to cover their expenses. Of course this means you have to either lower your asking price so the total is reasonable and will ensure a quick sale, or leave you asking price as is and hope the total that includes the consignment cost doesn't push the bike out of the range for your current market of buyers.

In my case I regretting the consignment deal as it took too long to sell with the inflated price.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The problem with your 'hold their license' plan, should they crash the bike and not pay you a dime is it's all on you to collect the money owed while all they have to do is get another license (people lose them you know). You'll have to pay to litigate them to enforce the agreement, and hope they show. Even if the court rules in your favor who knows when/if you'd ever get a dime and meanwhile you got a wrecked bike. Why put yourself at all that risk when you could have cash in hand?
As a buyer, I’m not handing over 4K to take a test ride. Seller could pocket the cash and deny ever taking in to hold.

Need to have some trust in people, either way you do it.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
984 Posts
As a buyer, I’m not handing over 4K to take a test ride. Seller could pocket the cash and deny ever taking in to hold.

Telling people they need to front that kind of money to test ride the bike will get you NO customers....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Having recently put a bike on the web for sale, the scammers pounced. I gave my mobile/cell phone number and second day I get a text saying "I work in outback Western Australia and we have very poor internet coverage, I am ok with the price, please give me your bank account details and I will forward the money and get a freight company to pick up the bike and bring it to me. I text back that the bike is only available to someone standing in front of me with cash in their hand. Next week the scammer claims to be in outback Northern Territory with poor coverage but asks a couple of relevant questions via text and is currently arranging with his freight people to pick up the bike. He wants my bank account details. The name he gives me I check on "linked in" and its a dead person. I text back and tell him he texts real well for a dead person. Next was two different people who want to see the bike so I tell them I will be at a shopping centre car park 600mtrs up the road from my house at a certain time. (I have multiple bikes and I don't want anyone at my house) Two no shows (one not even polite enough to text me that he wasn't coming) There are shite loads of bikes for sale now, in the current economic climate and I am not willing to virtually give it away so will just withdraw it from sale. Wont be trying to sell anything for a while now.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I never list my telephone number when i sell stuff on craigslist. When i get a response that says "is the item still available?" I respond "Yes its still avail, if interested please send your local phone number and i will call you", i dont even say my name.
They get Zero personal information from me until i talk to them on the phone and am satisfied they are legit.

I also do not use my "main" email address, the one i pay my bills with etc. I have another email address specifically for selling stuff or signing up for various non-essential websites etc, an address where i don't care so much if i get spam.

I get Zero spam or phishing on my main email address because of this.

Lots of Phishing happening on craigslist and similar selling sites, have to be careful.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I never list my telephone number when i sell stuff on craigslist. When i get a response that says "is the item still available?" I respond "Yes its still avail, if interested please send your local phone number and i will call you.

Lots of Phishing happening on craigslist and similar selling sites, have to be careful.
I you have a facebook account try listing your bike for sale in the local market place section. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I you have a facebook account try listing your bike for sale in the local market place section. It's worth a try.
I don't do anything on facebook. I have an account but only use it to check on people i know once in awhile.
NOT a fan of facebook or mark zuckerwhatever... too much "posing" going on with FB, fake...

ADDED
I usually have very good luck selling stuff, if i am motivated.. it's all about pictures presentation and product.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Trusting a total stranger to ride off with your expensive motorcycle is a fools path to take. The whole point of this thread is to learn what is smart and what isn't when selling a bike, or buying one. It's very common for sellers to require a, you crash it, you bought it agreement for test rides. The question is, how do you enforce this?

At the very least you sign an agreement with witnesses present and signing too so if you have to take them to court you have some evidence to show they breached the agreement. Also, you have consider if your bike is crashed and they will not pay, you are left with at least paying your deductible on your insurance claim. At the very least you should require the test rider let you hold that amount for a test ride.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't do anything on facebook.
I usually have very good luck selling stuff, if i am motivated.. it's all about pictures presentation and product.
The presentation of the product has to be showed somewhere so people can see it. Options are the internet, classifieds, printed flyers, word of mouth and a For Sale sign on item on property where traffic can see the item for sale. This is probably one of the worse times to try to sell a motorcycle or anything else while the COVID-19 crisis is going on. People are scrambling for survival.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The presentation of the product has to be showed somewhere so people can see it. Options are the internet, classifieds, printed flyers, word of mouth and a For Sale sign on item on property where traffic can see the item for sale. This is probably one of the worse times to try to sell a motorcycle or anything else while the COVID-19 crisis is going on. People are scrambling for survival.
I hear you, there are many methods. I've used cycle trader and craigslist and so far they've got the job done.
More exposure better odds for sure. i just hate FB ...lol

Yeah i would think its a bad time for selling a bike or anything right now at least person-to-person. On the other hand there are a lot of guys who are about to get between $1200 and $3600 dropped on them right now along with full pay while they are off work. What would stop me is not wanting to interact with strangers during this outbreak.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I hear you, there are many methods. I've used cycle trader and craigslist and so far they've got the job done.
More exposure better odds for sure. i just hate FB ...lol
Facebook market place is WAY better than Craigslist/ebay/... The reason is, you can see people's profiles. If they have a new profile with only a few friends, you can pretty much assume they are a scam. It is an additional layer that you do not have for pre-screening that you don't have. Ebay does give you past reviews, but that is more for the seller than the buyer as you don't have the right to not sell to potential buyers.

The problem with any sale, cycle trader (online or printed), FB, Ebay, is when the buyer isn't local. Because FB doesn't force you into a sale, you can opt to sell it to local buyers only.

As others have said, if you want to buy my bike, you get to watch me ride it, OR you put cash in my hand that we have both verified BEFORE you get the key. I will offer to ride it and have the buyer drive behind me if they want to see it up to speed if they are worried about losing their cash.

I also make sure before they come that the vehicle is cold, so they can see a cold start (I mention it to the potential buyer so they can verify it is a cold start).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Facebook market place is WAY better than Craigslist/ebay/... The reason is, you can see people's profiles. If they have a new profile with only a few friends, you can pretty much assume they are a scam. It is an additional layer that you do not have for pre-screening that you don't have. Ebay does give you past reviews, but that is more for the seller than the buyer as you don't have the right to not sell to potential buyers.
You can buy Facebook likes and followers. I guess, you also can buy FB friends or a FB profile...

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can buy Facebook likes and followers. I guess, you also can buy FB friends or a FB profile...
If they have a new profile with only a few friends, you can pretty much assume they are a scam
This does not mean that someone having an old profile with tons of friends will prevent you from getting scammed. Anyone anywhere can be scammed. You still have to be careful and plan. But it is simply another tool in your toolbox, knowing that you are likely to get scammed a profile is new AND has minimal friends/posts.

With craigslist or printed ads, you have nothing. You have no history of the person fabricated/new/or authentic.

I have sold 2 trailers, and a riding mower on FB in the past couple years All three I had cash in my hand within 25 hours of creating the ads. I have bought tons of stuff on FB also over the past couple years.

On the other side, I do have 2 items that are not moving on FB (also listed here), but that is more of a lack of interested parties than FB.

·
Registered
984 Posts

The problem with any sale, cycle trader (online or printed), FB, Ebay, is when the buyer isn't local. Because FB doesn't force you into a sale, you can opt to sell it to local buyers only.

As others have said, if you want to buy my bike, you get to watch me ride it, OR you put cash in my hand that we have both verified BEFORE you get the key. I will offer to ride it and have the buyer drive behind me if they want to see it up to speed if they are worried about losing their cash.

I also make sure before they come that the vehicle is cold, so they can see a cold start (I mention it to the potential buyer so they can verify it is a cold start).
The Buyer would think the Seller is a scam in my case, my FB account is empty except two pics of my past/present bikes. Nah, i have too much disdain for FB, F*ck Facebook.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Buyer would think the Seller is a scam in my case, my FB account is empty except two pics of my past/present bikes. Nah, i have too much disdain for FB, F*ck Facebook.
I think you are missing my point... New account AND no friends. The combination of the two. This makes it WAY more likely that it is a scam.

Not very many people have the foresight to play the long game by creating an account 10 years ago, add no friends and then scam someone.

But, I'm not against anyone saying F FB... Just saying it is another market place that reaches more people than any other.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I work with criminals every day and another scam is the ole "I will leave my bike here with you while I do a quick test ride" They don't return and you find out the bike (or car) they left with you is stolen. Or my mate will stay with you while I do a quick ride and the mate is a quick runner to his car and away.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts